PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING for a 38/40 mold with crimp grove

fivegunner
07-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Hi all I have a Ruger blackhawk in 38/40 (buckeye) and looking around I don`t see many molds out there! anybody have one they would like to sell? if I find that the gun shoots well I`ll spend the money to buy a 4 cavity from Ballis-t-cast.:Fire: best regards. Frank

475/480
07-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi ,
I bought the Lee 6 Cavity 170 TLFP mould for my 40 SW, it should fit your 38/40.

Sean

Lloyd Smale
07-13-2006, 05:55 PM
lyman makes a 180 grain mold thats a round flat with a crimp grove.

Johnch
07-13-2006, 08:08 PM
I have the same revolver .
A 10 mm and 38/40 black hawlk .

I use a Lee factory crimp die to give me a little crimp where ever I want .
Never needed a hard crimp for the wimp loads I normaly run .
But the crimp die could do it .

Johnch

9.3X62AL
07-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Another answer--and an easier one--might be to just seat the boolit deep enough to enable a mild crimp around either the drive belt shelf, truncated cone departure line, or ogive radius. There is a plethora of molds out there to serve the 38-40 Version 2.0, AKA the 40 S&W. A better caliber nomenclature for the 40 Short & Weak would have been 38-40 Self-Loading. From this diatribe you can easily discern my 1) aged status and 2) experience with 10mm pistols. I am up front about my prejudices and preferences. The service sidearm world went ga-ga over the 40 S&W in the early 90's, conveniently forgetting (or dismissing) the century-old 38-40 and its capabilities.

In the revolver, you are only worried about the case backing away from the boolit due to recoil impulse. In a lever rifle, the opposite problem occurs--cartridges lined up in a tubular magazine going KA-CHUNK one at a time down the tube, posing the possibility of "telescoped" boolits into the case--assuming the powder column isn't supporting the boolit base. Your answer--a good crimp groove--would serve the needs of both systems very well, assuming a shooter had rifle and revolver similarly chambered.

I am awaiting the re-start of Mountain Molds so as to procure a 215 grain round flat nose plain base mold for my Win 73 x 44-40, with a mind toward some manner of wheelgun in the same caliber. In other words, I HEAR YA, Frank--even if the caliber differs.

targetshootr
07-14-2006, 01:27 PM
I just got a 38/40 single action and would like to find a round nose, single lube groove with more than two cavities but no luck so far. Figured it would be easy to find but it looks like it might be a custom thing?

chunkum
07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
These are from a Lyman mould I got for my .38-40 Colt NS a good many years back. They were very accurate, even with my limited casting skills back then. As best I recall, they did function in my old Win 92 saddle ring carbine but I wouldn't swear to it. It's been a while. I don't think the mould is manufactured any more but you might want to look for one that needs a good home. These weigh 198 grs in ww alloy.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6123/boser401castbullet0cm.jpg

Best Regards,
chunkum

targetshootr
07-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Nice boolits. Wouldn't mind having one just like that. I just took up casting and started with a four cavity so it may be hard to get used to a double cavity. Here's a dumb question from a newbie, why did they ever make anything with fewer than four?

Denver
07-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi all I have a Ruger blackhawk in 38/40 (buckeye) and looking around I don`t see many molds out there! anybody have one they would like to sell? if I find that the gun shoots well I`ll spend the money to buy a 4 cavity from Ballis-t-cast.:Fire: best regards. Frank

RCBS has a 38/40 180 gr mold with crimp groove they call "Cowboy Action" mold. $54 and change at www.midsouthshooters.com.

405WIN
08-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I have two of the RCBS Cowboy molds that I bought for CAS Shooting. I found that the crimp groove was to narrow to be of much use. It get's narrower after you size the bullet.
I had Mtn. Molds make me a bullet mold with a nice wide crimp groove.