PDA

View Full Version : new swage dies

runfiverun
04-07-2010, 10:42 PM
:mrgreen:
b.t
i finally got home and give them a :Fire:
thought i'd have to mess with them some or get confused.
nope excellent results from the first one.
and the best part was i now have a way to make my cast feed through my 44 lever.
i was gonna modify the carrier a bit,
but this reshaped the nose,and moved the center of gravity back enough to enhance accuracy some.
initially i lost most of the crimp groove [i thought] but one turn with the canellure tool and there it was.
perfect.
now two different cast h-point boolits from one die.
one jacketed two types of h-points and a flat.
i think i might not shoot any thing but my 44 cals for a long time coming.
thank you........R5R

BT Sniper
04-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Good to here, your welcome. I have another customer that swaged some cast 40 cal boolits and was able to cut his group size in half, shot from a carbine. I don't think he filled the lube grove before swaging but if you did lube it first then swage it I imagine it would make a good looking bullet. How about pushing a cast boolit into that notching insert then swage it?

Yep you should be set for quite a while. Lots of 40 S&W jackets out there.

Keep us posted. Good shooting.

BT :swagemine:

runfiverun
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
yep thats what i did. if i am gonna shoot a hollow point i want the front edges skiived.
it helps form the petals easier.

runfiverun
04-09-2010, 04:25 PM
well range results are in.
the cut tips swaged back into the hollowpoint did exactly as they were supposed to.
they opened, stopped opening, broke off the petals but left the front expanded.
one water jug and wet newspaper for catch media.
so was only able to do 8 shots before the wife got tired of waiting for me to pick through everything.
and shot the last of the bunch through the levergun.
10 of them went into under an inch at 50 yds with 8 grs unique.
when i stopped her and pointed out that that was her best group ever.
she quit right there,and pulled down the target.
the alloy is new [from the 00's] ww's and 25% pure [real pure] plus 1% tin added.
which is a light 7 on my saeco. or about 10 bhn.
poured into the 429421 square grooved mold then sized at 430 and lubed with carnuba red.
i found that if i short stroked the handle it shaped the nose, pushed back the step also. and lengthened the front driving band,
while shortening the nose.
it glides through the rifle s [plural] like butter and gives me a 270 gr boolit.
it also just plain reforms the 240 rnfp into a hollow point, while just barely reshaping the nose.
there's gotta be a 45 die somewheres out there....:lol: