PDA

View Full Version : New Lee Mold

Howa243
04-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I' a real newbie here, and I may ask some dumb questions.
I just recieved a new Lee 6 bullet 9mm bullet and I need to know if I should use any kind of a release agent before I start casting?
Like I say I'm a newbie, kind answers will be appreciated.

:oops::oops:

theperfessor
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I've never used a release agent of any type and my Lees work fine after a little judicious preparation (cleaning and light deburring). But I would recommend getting hold of some Bullplate lube and using it according to the directions.

DO NOT follow Lee's instructions on lubing their molds with bullet lube. You will end up with a gunky mess that will bake on and actually tie up the sprue plate and make it hard to operate after a while. Bullplate is the only way to go.

EDIT: By the way, welcome to the best site on the Net. A lot of people here will be glad to help you.

HORNET
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
I'll agree with theperfesor's post and add that you might want to go to the Classics & Stickies section and read the threads on "Lee-menting" for reference. Check out the link to the Goatlips Casting Pages while you're there. First step is going to be to make sure the mold is clean. Soak it overnight in some mineral spirits then boil it with some dish detergent to get the remnants of the cutting fluid/ preservatives off. Check for burrs with a magnifier, get it hot and give it try. Lots of help available if you do a search on here and ask for help if you need it.
Welcome to the slippery slope of lead addiction...[smilie=w::bigsmyl2:

dragonrider
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
A release agent will only make your boolits look bad, dirty. A properly Leemented mold does not need it. Read the "stickies" called "Leementing".

deerslayer
04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Howdy, and welcome. Check out the "leementing" (Leementing is also recomended by lee on their FAQ) and also other members sware by kroil. Check out both. The leementing did make my lee 124 grn tl rn 2 cavity drop great. But after doing it I have seen where some caution against it and prefer the Kroil. But it worked fantastic for me I used mothers aluminum polish instead of an abrasive and the mold looks like a mirror.

Howa243
04-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how they turn out

[smilie=s: [smilie=s:

Suo Gan
04-08-2010, 12:24 AM
When you get the mold make sure that it closes properly there might be a squashed aluminum splinter somewhere, wash the mold in a boiling bath of dish detergent, scrub with a toothbrush, check alignment, adjust pins accordingly, check sprue plate adjustment, freely swinging on its own weight is about right, any more and it will tweak the bases somewhat, heat up the mold on a hot plate, add some bull plate (etc) to the hinge pins, and pivot bolt, cast until HOT, a few cavities will probably stick, a few or more cavities may produce wrinkled boolits, I like to use a kerosene lamp set on smoky to smoke that mold good, cast again until HOT, a few cavities may be like the first set, if this happens take note of what cavities are being a pain, take your carbide pen or scratch awl and deepen the vent grooves in the right places, start over, cast until HOT. This can be a PITA process with some molds, and others are real sweethearts, no rime or reason that I can see. You might need to lap it too. The two cavity models are usually more work than the 6ers. Keep in mind this is a once in a lifetime thing too.