PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the attitudes lately?

Charlie Sometimes
04-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Man, it seems like every post that I have read lately has someone or another "at it" or as Mike Venturino called it "got their panties in a wad" over a little bit of nothing.

Name calling, talking down, finger pointing, etc.- it's all being done, or said it's being done. I think its mostly reading more into what has been written than what was intended- semantics, or phraseology, is everything.

What attitudes are being brought to the keyboard, and why? I know they tell you not to bring your work stresses home to your family- leave them at the door or in the car, blah, blah, blah. Should we be doing that here, too? Without body language, and eye to eye contact, it's hard to actually get your point across sometimes, and with the great distances in physical location of the members here, I'd expect some regional differences, but geesh!

I know lots of folks are out of work, and jobs are scarce as hens teeth in most parts (I'm out of work right now), people are stressing on just about everything I guess, but man, "Can't we all just get along?" (Sorry, Rodney, but it is one of those classic quotes now.) This is one of the things that bring a bunch of good people together, freely exchanging information and ideas I might add, and should not be tearing us apart for any reason. That's just what the anti's would love to see.

Let's see how this question goes over.

Whut up wid dat? :confused: :smile: :killingpc

pmeisel
04-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Plus one to that. I come here because I usually get some good "conversation" to listen to... and maybe occasionally chip in. It replaces the local coffee shop and hardware store gatherings that just don't exist most places anymore.

I value the good things I hear.. and can sift out the stuff that just doesn't matter to me. No reason to get "all hatey" about it.

thx997303
04-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I know I'm a bit stressed lately. Sometimes buttons get pushed.

Plus most here are strong willed individuals and don't much like being pushed.

I don't know, this place really ain't bad compared to other forums out there.

trk
04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
It takes discipline to maintain a free flow of converstation without offending folks. Some folks don't work at it ( insert political being's name here ).

I'm thankful for the moderation here, that the EXPECTATION of the board is one of civil discourse.

Westwindmike
04-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I feel that this is a good forum to relax on. If you want to see stress, you should visit GlockTalk or ARFCOM. Those guys are wound way too tight.

theperfessor
04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
There are some recent posts that have been so poorly worded and contentious that I have refrained from posting despite having what I feel is sufficient knowledge and practical experience to make a positive contribution to the discussion.

I' m not going to be baited into a phony argument by people unable to frame a question properly and who lack enough basic knowledge of science and applied technology to understand the difference between the two. As soon as I seem a poster start harping on "respect" I go to a different thread.

Life's too short to deal with the overly sensitive types when I don't have to.

Greg in Malad
04-06-2010, 11:48 PM
I find it difficult to put thoughts and feelings into written words, and I flunked grammar every year in school. Sometimes a persons sense of humor comes off poorly in text, so I don't get offended unless told to"shove it".

RobS
04-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Agreed..........it comes down to common politeness and communicating with a demeanor that is friendly and considerate. Some people can not simply agree to disagree and instead turn to a means of an ugly fashion.

I speak of my experiences and leave it at that when I reply to a thread and if I have knowledge of something, but don't have real life experience I don't say much as without my own experiences I feel that the knowledge I've read about could actually be interpreted wrong by no other than yours truly. It’s kind of like seeing it to believe it scenario for me. I really don't see much reason in me giving advice on something that I have no personal experience with.

I do really enjoy reading about people thinking of new ideas and then bringing those ideas to light with real life experiences. I wished that people who have no personal experiences with things would simply sit back take a chill pill and enjoy the tread, but instead we have those who decide to give unwavering advice when they have never been there. I am not saying that a person shouldn't respond if they have no personal experience with something, but for such a person sit there and ridicule another who is trying and who has experiences with something just seems awfully wrong in nature.

FWIW

Buckshot
04-07-2010, 12:33 AM
............It's a blip. Considering the phenominal growth this board has experienced and continues to enjoy (approching 14,000 now, with a huge percentage of active posters) those things are a minor annoyance. For sure not wanted and thankfully a very small part of the overall board's activity.

If you see obvious baiting, and especially name calling and/or personal denigration report it to a moderator. Sometimes tempers can flare and my get the best of us but experience in the past has generally proven that the person will themselves recognize they were out of line and delete their own post. At least 99% of the folks that become members here have been around the block enough times to realize that getting into printed jousting in an internet BB is pretty idiotic behavior and of little value to anyone.

Even they will realize that after a bit of thought :bigsmyl2:

..............Buckshot

Lead Fred
04-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Fear, worry, and disgust, of what is happened to our country & the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QslV5asj_yM&feature=PlayList&p=9ACB959B4DF2084A&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1

Recluse
04-07-2010, 01:10 AM
It's tax preparation week in the Recluse household.

Even the Doberman is hiding from me.

:coffee:

crabo
04-07-2010, 01:52 AM
It's tax preparation week in the Recluse household.

Even the Doberman is hiding from me.

:coffee:

You're not deducting him?

ETG
04-07-2010, 04:48 AM
If you get discouraged reading some post just search for the Greywolf thread. You will see what this board is all about. You will never get rid of all the bad apples but you will see the character of the majority of members here.

oldhickory
04-07-2010, 05:51 AM
If you get discouraged reading some post just search for the Greywolf thread. You will see what this board is all about. You will never get rid of all the bad apples but you will see the character of the majority of members here.

A big A-MEN to that, ETG!..And, OOOOOORAH!

I think some of it has to do with the political and economic "cow-pie" we're in and like Greg said, "grammer". I waddn't none too good at thet neither.[smilie=s: Besides, we're not seeing facial expressions, intent, pats on the back, etc. like we would have in a face to face conversation, a bit of lea-way has to allowed and words taken with a "grain of salt," or some "cookies and milk" as shdwlkr says.[smilie=p:

WILCO
04-07-2010, 06:17 AM
thread where I thought things were getting sour, other than that, everything else seems fine to me. I come here frequently because the folks are great and the knowledge is abundant.

Bret4207
04-07-2010, 06:56 AM
When there were 2500 members here we all "knew" each other and things ran smooth. Now we're getting big and things are different. The flavor has changed a bit and some new faces are speaking their minds, often poorly I might add. It's just the natural progression of things and a reflection of our society.

Personally I'm amazed at the growth and the fact this is still one of the few places I go where it doesn't sound like a bunch of 14 year old boys talking about their imaginary romantic conquests.

shootinxd
04-07-2010, 07:28 AM
I hope this may bring to light that we must stick together.As we all come from different back grounds,we all share the same love of tinkering with our boolits.I have met some GREAT people here and in this sport like no other!Sometime what we type is not how it is meant to sound.Wilgen even took the time to call to make sure what I was doing was safe,don't get better than that!
Jim

Charlie Sometimes
04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Good perspectives and comments, guys!
I really feel the same way- it's a good place to "share the wealth" with good, knowledgable people- that will help a fella when they need it, too.

Not everyone has the same level of knowledge, and those more advanced should be patient with the lesser, and vice versa. There are some really intelligent and well educated people on here, and their experience and knowledge is a great resource to draw from.

Not everyone will search and find all the applicable threads before asking questions either, so things will get repeated, too. "Learning the ropes" or protocols for newbies, and adjustment to change from everyone else is part of it.

Stimulating "conversation" appears to be different to every individual and the written word doesn't always "read" like it was intended. If what is written upsets you, then step back and take a break (count to ten)- I prefer to think most offenses are not intentional, and give second chances. Writers whould consider more carefully their choice of wording, too. Derogatory words or remarks are unecessary, and take away from the free "conversation".

It's good, I think, that new members feel free to participate and offer up their experience and questions- even if they are not worded appropriately. They see open discourse is accepted and encouraged, and want to join in and are comfortable doing so. They just need to remain within the same parameters as we do. I try not to step outside those boundaries.

bruce drake
04-07-2010, 09:14 AM
There are a lot of threads I can't post on due to my personal job as a Commissioned Officer and my requirement to stay politically nuetral towards service to the country. But outside of the Political thread, I enjoy being on this forum more than any other net site.

Bruce

gray wolf
04-07-2010, 11:44 AM

A while back I may have said something different here, and added a word or two.
But that old paint is slowly being scraped off. The kind people here have made me go through a life changing experience, and made me look at my fellow man in some ways I never thought possible. I may get in a tiff at times over what might be said-- BUT---
I couldn't say a bad thing about my casting brothers if I had a mouth full
Perhaps some can't understand what I am saying, perhaps some will go through it and then understand---I hope not.
Settle down men ---we are all one in this family--I have seen it and lived it
Right here in living color.
So if you get a little Pi$$ed off at someone let it be--life is to short. Try and see it through there perspective and cut a little slack. That same person may be bending over to help you up someday.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to take a bunch of crapolla from anyone, Just think a little before we type--don't leave an open door for a nasty come back.
Be respectful of the other guys feelings.
OK men off the soap box--- for me.

1Shirt
04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
An old 4 Star I knew used to keep a brass plaque on his desk that said "There is nothing in your job discription that entitles you to be an SOB". I agree with this and think it has application here.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Harter66
04-07-2010, 12:56 PM
I believe I saw it in another thread something to the effect of "spring fever help! More like cabin fever!".

We went through a similar bout in my work place just about 6 months ago believe me when I say there was no mistaking the intent of the body language ,talk about a hostile work place. Well we made our peace swilled a couple of brews over some redneck psycholigy(sic?) and figured out it had really nothing to do with us or work it was the holiday blues family stress and pending corp.BS that had 0 effect on our jobs. Its spring storm time every time you think you're going to get to burn a little powder the weather turns on or you get stuck all day on some stupid "it'll only take an hour"job on that perfect day then it snows on the fresh seeded grass and an owl takes your cat. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm sorry got carried away.

Plus 1 for the grain of salt and spilt milk.

RBak
04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Bret touched on something that I personally feel has merit, and one that I feel that is the biggest reason we see the "attitudes' we are seeing today.

Back in the day....going back to shooters dot com, the casting board was relatively small, compared to many forums of that time period.
Everybody knew everybody, everybody knew what the other guy was doing, what he was loading, what he was shooting, what he did for a living, and often times even how he felt about most any subject except maybe politics and religion.

Progress has now brought us to the point where many of the new folks no longer look at the Cast Boolit forum as a blessing, and the direct result of a select few individuals doing 99.9% of all the work, but something that the Internet somehow owed, and provided for them....they were surfing for "casting", and this is where google brought them, so everything was exactly as it should be.

There are too many of those who feel this board is somehow owed to them because they own a computer, maybe even cast a bullet or two, and on top of that we should know it's a free country, so they will say what they want to say, and say it the way they want to say it.

I don't normally vent this much, but I would like for you to know this is more than just the ramblings of an old man.
At age 70 I don't see this as a generation thing, but rather something that is near and dear to me, and out and out rudeness on the part of those that do this kind of thing... if the shoe fits wear it!

Russ Baker

ghh3rd
04-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Still a great site with the vast majority of members who act mature, regardless of their age. A nice place to relax, learn and share.

mold maker
04-07-2010, 01:51 PM
If there was a better forum, I'd be there.
If I want a laugh, it's here.
If I want an answer, it's here.
If I just want to talk guns and related material, it's here.
If I want to argue or be insulted, I'll go visit my in laws.

EDK
04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
If there was a better forum, I'd be there.
If I want a laugh, it's here.
If I want an answer, it's here.
If I just want to talk guns and related material, it's here.
If I want to argue or be insulted, I'll go visit my in laws.

Bravo. This is a family created by mutual interests. Because of different disciplines and interests, the answers to the same questions vary. Most of us are tolerant of differing opinions because "every gun, like every man, is an individual."

In the case of the intolerant or provacateurs seeking controversy, remember the last scene in the movie, The Professionals, when Joe Grant called Rico Fardan "a b******" and Fardan replied, "In my case it was an accident of birth, but you, sir, are a self made man." The good people stay here and the SOBs will eventually seek new people to antagonize.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

redneckdan
04-07-2010, 03:17 PM
It's been a pretty stressful last two weeks, couple that with the recent antics of the bozos in 'bammyville and I can see how people would be a little sandy in the nether regions. :violin: This is one of the most civil forums on the 'net bar none. That is why I keep coming back. [smilie=s:

358wcf
04-07-2010, 03:51 PM
The wise old Gray Wolf has spoken truthfully, and revealed for all to see his wisdom! As GW can attest, we have assembled here the finest group of hard-working, self-reliant individuals you will ever see- Fiercely independent, we will take care of our own, in every way, at every opportunity!
Dissent from within is destructibve to any unit, whether it be a company, a family, or just a group of guys-
Practice moderation guys, be fair in all you do, and respect the knowledge and opinions of others. You would have them do the same for you-- right???
Enough- I'm getting dizzy standing on this soapbox-- gotta relax in the shade-

To a great bunch of guys!!!

358wcf

mroliver77
04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
It does not matter one bit how they act on other forums.It would still suck to be the nicest guy in Hades. We have a great bunch of folks here but there are some that really push the limits of politeness.
A few very intelligent guys here that have a lot to offer get into juvenile maybe even infantile pissing matches. This can really ruin a great thread! It even boils over into other threads and ruins them.
I would like to see the mods put a toe in the pants of a few posters and help them with their bad posting habits. I am not thin skinned but I do not have time for the BS either. Some have posted, "What about free speech?" Doesn't apply here. Just like my living room, I have standards and rules and if you are my guest you will behave accordingly or leave.
Hopefully this does not sound too negative as I only think there are some rough edges needing smoothed out at times.
I am still proud as a Peacock over the way you all came to the aid of Gray Wolfe and Julie!!
Jay

StarMetal
04-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Well I'll be the bad guy, which I'm noted for. Get off the soap box and patting yourselves on the back. Before you become offended with those first sentences let me say this forum is a good one. Lots of good people here and lots of knowledge. Now before going way back and commenting how good the original Shooters forum was let me remind you of two examples of badness. That was BIS and MasterGunner. BIS was Brit in Scotland and MasterGunner was from Virginia. To say they hated one another would be an understatement. I've seen foulness come out of their mouths that would have gotten them banned at Castboolits in micro seconds. Then there was Aladdin, a big 300 pound fellow from Wisconsin that threatened physical harm to another member. It wasn't at all that tame of a forum.

Someone mentioned how tolerant we are of one anothers opinions. That couldn't be further from the truth and I myself is guilty of that. The 6.5 threads and rpm threshold threads are golden examples of that.

If I had to pick another forum that I think, well let me rephrase that, I know is good, it's The Gunsboards. You can ask Dutch that as he's a moderator over there. I don't see nearly the fighting and arguing going on over and I'm a member there and I myself haven't had one argument with anyone there...and I knowing how lousy my reputation is here on Castboolits.

Yes this is a good forum, but not the only one. One of the worse in my opinion is the Accurate Forum, especially the Political section. So don't take me wrong, this is a good forum with lots of good people. I hope and know that if the worse becomes of our country that all of us here will join together as friends and fight the new tyranny. Right now we're all at liberty to abuse our freedoms to the limit, which one is freedom of speech, and in these hard times of bad economy, no jobs, layoff, the past hard winter, and a government out of control, seasoned with tax return times and unconstitution census form, we're all a bit ragged around the edges.

04-07-2010, 04:23 PM
A while back, I started a similar thread, after noticing an increase in name calling and unnecessarily aggressive attitudes. That was when I discovered the "ignore" feature.

Then, during the course of the many weeks of the Gray Wolf thread, while reading every post, I noticed that none of the members on my ignore list had made neither a post nor a monetary contribution. Coincidence? I think not.

Irregardless of the occasional "bad apple", this is still the best Internet forum.

hydraulic
04-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm sure you've all noted what a fine fellow I am. grin:

StarMetal
04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm sure you've all noted what a fine fellow I am. grin:

Nebraskans are right nice folks. I know that from KSCO.

Uncle Grinch
04-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I can't help but think our "politeness" may be more of tolerance. I say that because I have a feeling that most boolit casters are... shall we say more "tenured" and therefore more tolerant because of their age.

We have over 240 members in our gun club and I would venture that less than 20 percent cast. This is espcially true among our younger members. They tend to like the newer high capacity, synthetic, polymer firearms.

Or maybe I'm skewed in my thinking because of my tenure!

Either way... this is one of the most informative, tolerant and trusting forums that I browse.

ETG
04-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Family and friends fight and bicker - just human nature but when it really counts we pull together. Yes there are a few misfits but really when we are pulling together they just get left behind and forgotten - as 462 noted. I don't care to get in one of those my board is better than yours - it really doesn't matter. I'm sure we are not the only people with any morals left. I think it would be great if people would let us know when they find a board with people of similar values. I think we number way more than anyone thinks.

smoked turkey
04-08-2010, 01:18 AM
OK, I'll put my dog in this fight. One of the problems I see in dealing face to face with people is that for some reason we all tend to think our opinion is always right and must always be told. Fact is we all get things wrong ever so often and our opinion doesn't always have to be told. I find that there is more than one way to skin a cat and if I think my way is the only way I am going to miss out on some good advice and information from someone else who just might have found a better way. I am a junior member here (not in age-just experience) so I have a lot to learn and unfortunately not much knowledge to pass along. The good Lord willin, I intend to change all that as I gain knowledge and experience from many here on this forum and one day just may be able to help some newbie with their questions. I am proud of this forum and I too think what GW said says it all. Thanks for listening.

Bret4207
04-08-2010, 07:14 AM
As Joe notes, there are other places those you want to be foul or ignorant or contrary can go. I wouldn't have put it the way he did, but that's not my problem. This place has it over all the other gun sites in my opinion.

Sometimes we come across in ways we don't mean. I do it constantly, I write like I talk, but you guys can't hear the humor in my voice. I'm sure other do the same and I see people questioning that at times. Sometimes we can just be contrary and that's just the way it is.

Those of us who have suffered through the Dictator, Herr Colonel, at the old CB-L List know how bad it can be. I've seen other places that are even worse than CB-L, Accurate, the Krag board and a mess of others I never went back to a second time .

We're family, a great big, imperfect, dysfunctional family. That's good enough for me.

steg
04-08-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm a relative newbie here, and I enjoy coming to the site, and sometimes picking up informayion that I couldn't glean in a lifetime, I screwed up here and hijacked a post, I didn't even realise that was what I was doing at the time. when I was called on it and I thought about it, it was time for tail between legs and apologize, and I was forgiven. The point I'm trying to make is that you may not even know that your screwing up unless it's brought to your attention, and when it is and if you are it's time to man up and do whats right.....steg

Charlie Sometimes
04-08-2010, 08:28 AM
I can't help but think our "politeness" may be more of tolerance. I say that because I have a feeling that most boolit casters are... shall we say more "tenured" and therefore more tolerant because of their age.

We have over 240 members in our gun club and I would venture that less than 20 percent cast. This is espcially true among our younger members. They tend to like the newer high capacity, synthetic, polymer firearms.

Or maybe I'm skewed in my thinking because of my tenure!

Either way... this is one of the most informative, tolerant and trusting forums that I browse.

Yep, and I think can be somewhat less tolerant because of age- I expect more from people who should know better as I get older. Which is why you get "tempers flaring" here occasionally, I think. But you can get locked in "that feeling", too- something to watch for and avoid. I find that I don't accept as much of that "kid stuff" anymore, as I used to- which, by the way those "younger members" that you spoke of in your gun club will, in all likelyhood, "return to their roots" as many of us have here- casting, single shots, lever actions, etc., as they get older too. They have been exposed to it, and will remember it someday- a lot of the new people here I'll bet have that perspective. Albeit, some never left either! The young people you have to keep interested- and the "latest thing" is exactly how it's done until they return their roots.
I think most will- there's always a few that don't.

Char-Gar
04-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Bret is 100% on target with his remarks on the growth of this board and the changes that come with such growth.

This board started when a double handful of folks stumbled across on another on the still young Internet. Folks who had been pour lead and burning powder by themselves learned there were others in this world that shared their passion. Their experience and knowledge was shared and the craft of bullet casting took a giant leap forward. Many myths and old wives tales were done away with.

It does my heart good to see so many folks taking up bullet casting, but the growth of this board has also brought some negative changes. The down turn in civility is just one. The wholesale growth of ignorance is also a consequence. Many of the myths and falsehoods that were killed off, are now back in force and assumed to be holy writ.

I still check out the board and participate from time to time. But, I no longer feel it necessary to correct obvious ignorance when it pops up. This is still a very good board with lots of good information shared, but there have been changes and not all of them for the good.

blackthorn
04-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Well sometimes it is just a case of needing to "lighten up". With the influx of new people (to this forum) it is likely we are getting some people who are used to other places where there is little or NO humor and any deviation from the exact topic or question is reason for instant, acidic response. I do not post often and when I do I read the post several times before I hit the "post" button. Sometimes I just delete and move on, but once I post, if someone takes exception I just sort of let it go (unless I wrroo---made a missss---ahh you know). This is one of the best places to find answers or to ask questions. As far as AR goes, they seem to run on an almost anything goes and it seems to work very well for them. There is a wealth of knowledge over there but sometimes you need to have a very thick skin, and there are some posters that I just don't read!With respect to the site direction on religion and politics, personelly I have a hard time separating our hobby from politics. Every time a politico sneezes --we catch cold! I do, however understand the reasons for the "rule" and I respect that. Religion is a matter of personel choice, and the same as remarks about race or skin colour or using foul language, has no place on this (or any other) forum! SO---to all--have a great day.

44fanatic
04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Everyone one has an opinion. The difference in it being inflamatory is how it is expressed and explained. If I dont agree with someone and its important enough for me to discuss, I am going to explain why. I may not agree with you, but I will respect your opinion as long as you respect mine...if not, its not worth discussing.

As far as respect....Respect given, is respect earned.

paul45120
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Part of it comes from the spelin "nazi's" and "gramar" "nazi's". Not everyone here is a spelling bee champ nor a professional wrighter. So some average Joe asks a simple direct or specific question and gets crapped on by the "nazi's". Does not get his question answered and getts a little pissed at the "nazi". He retaliates. Can't really say as I blame him. From there it's all down hill.

Just my $.02 and wourth what you payed for it.

Bret4207
04-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Paul has a point on the spelling nazis. I admit to using boolit on the other boards just to stir the pot a little. It drives the nazis nuts!

6.5 mike
04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Naw, you wouldn't do a thing like that, would ya Bret.

Cherokee
04-08-2010, 07:26 PM
As a relatively new guy, I enjoy this forum and the info it shares. I'm thick skinned so most stuff doesn't bother me and I try to share where I feel it is helpful. Keep it coming.

Stick_man
04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I think a big part of the attitudes displayed on occasion around here is due to "cabin fever", or boredom, or frustrations, or possibly something happening in the family, or ... just as several others have mentioned. Once the weather warms up and the mud dries up a little, many of the attitudes will clear up as well.

Sometimes, people are just looking for a good urinary olympiad to participate in and know how to push other people's buttons.

I, for one, just need to get out and burn some powder. I am ready for warmer weather.

Rockydog
04-08-2010, 10:34 PM
The old shooters.com forum was indeed a bit rough and tumble at times. Interestingly there are two or three forums that trace directly back to shooters.com. All three are much more respectful and very little tolerance for flame wars etc. I participate on the other two, Handloaders bench.com and baitshopboyz.com as an admin. I lost track of this forum until I started casting last year. What a surprize to find a lot of the old gang on here. The attitude on here is so relaxed that any minor disagreements almost seem out of place. If only the whole world could be as gentlemanly as the folks on all three of these sites. RD

abunaitoo
04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
I think it all has to do with people who think the "know it all"
Here we have two of them.
I gave up on both.
They seem to have an opinion, or know something about everything.
Most of the time they don't know what their talking about.
No use trying to help them.
Both are getting worse as people are starting to ignore them.
One of them was yelling and swearing at another friend last Sunday at the range.
Seemed to have "lost it"
It all comes down to respect.
I'm sorry to say it's a lost art now days.