PDA

View Full Version : OOP's , that did it !

Digger
04-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Out at the range today trying some of my loads out of one of Mihec's .452 molds and they were doing nicely in my Springfield ultra compact.
Started to notice my aim was going a little off and looked closer at the pistol and OH *****... !
the rear site was off to one side !!
The darn thing had worked loose ! .... this is one of the older models with the straight up sight, not the newer swept low profile versions.
apparently the method of installation from factory is to peen the base corners , three points on one side and three points on the other to slightly swell and insert into the wedge slot( on the slide )under pressure.
No set screw in service here !
All I had to do was push it on out and study the results.....
I hate to crudely try to do the same with such a nice pistol..... so the question is gun smith maybe?
or locktite ? ...:veryconfu
Maybe some of you pro's out there might have a tip or two ????
any how ....thank you ....digger

EMC45
04-07-2010, 06:17 AM
I would use a punch on the bottom of the dovetail in the slide. Burr up a few teats of metal and drift your sight back in and you should be GTG!

mtgrs737
04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm with EMC, burr up a little metal in the bottom of the dovetail and re-install the sight. Too bad that Springfield has these little problems as they are otherwise a very good unit, But a little elbow grease on our part and we have a really good gun.

Digger
04-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the response guys ! , I was hesitant to try that technique to reinstall but will give it a go.
Seems to simple for such a quality gun but sometimes the direct approach is still the best ? or K.I.S.S. ??
digger