PDA

View Full Version : .50 BMG Paper Patched?

Bert2368
04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
One of my crew just got a job with Brownell's. He hadn't shot a gun for perhaps 45 years- So we said "come to the gun show, look around with us". The loon bought an AR50 at the show! From shooting a .22LR 40+ years ago, to owning and shooting a .50BMG... He actually did pretty good when I had him to our range sighting in and trying it out- And he left me with about 100 1x cases.

He gets 40% off as an employee discount at Brownell's and Sinclair so getting the gear should be less expensive than it would be for ordinary mortals, he knows I reload- hence the brass being left with me. I'm looking into what will be needed, and really wondering about cast in the .50 BMG. And in particular, PP rather than GC.

Is there anyone experienced out there? I've searched this site and googled on .50 and cast, I know the .50-70 500gr Lee boolit works, and that various other moulds are available.

pdawg_shooter
04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
45 is as big as I have ever went. That said, I can see no reason it wont work. Size to .001/.0015 over bore diameter, patch to .001/.003 over groove diameter, lube and load!

rockrat
04-06-2010, 06:40 PM
DON"T use PP in the AR50. Muzzle brakes and PP'ing don't go together very well, so I have heard. Heard you could possibly blow the brake off the gun or at least cause much damage. I have a PP mould that I bought years ago, but didn't think about the brake. Not going to risk it.

As far as cast in the BMG, been working with my AR50 for the last 8 months or so. After about 100lbs of lead downrange, I am getting close. See my post a few weeks ago on the "single shot" section of this forum.

Just got in from the shop, from reloading the 50, now if the weather will co-operate so I can get to the range. So far, it seems like 2,300fps is about the limit in my AR50, with an 850gr boolit. Going to see if I can get 2,500fps with good accuracy, but might not be possible.

For cast, you will need something like an "M" die to bell the necks so you won't shave the boolits when seating them.

Bert2368
04-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll look in the single shot section

I'm amazed that a little high speed confetti could damage that huge muzzle brake. If anyone can provide a referance to what actually happened, I'd like to see a first hand report-

100 lb. of Lead down range? Isn't that about 20 shots? :kidding:

I just talked with a guy from the local tire shop. If this project goes forward, I'm going to get to know him really well...

rockrat
04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I think it comes from the paper and debris possibly deflecting the bullet to where it strikes the brake.

You better get to know the tire shop guy real well and wouldn't hurt to find some linotype to blend in with the WW's

Kenny Wasserburger
04-06-2010, 10:30 PM
As was mentioned when the patch strips off with the bullet exiting you most likely will blow the brake off. The rifle was never designed for a Paper Patch load.

I am thinking this would construe a darwin moment. Stick to non PP bullets much safer.

KW
The Lunger

pdawg_shooter
04-07-2010, 08:02 AM
I have a friend with a 338 Lapua mag and it has a 3 chamber brake. He shoots more PP bullets than jacketed in it. He hasent had any problems yet.

Bert2368
04-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks for that information. Really wondering now.

Can the folks who have heard that PP damages guns with a muzzle brake provide a first hand account or a reference published/posted by someone who's actually seen it happen?

No offense is meant, I just wonder if this is one of those things that "everone knows".

redneckdan
04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
I doubt it will rip the muzzle brake off. I've seen some pretty impressive baffle strikes while working with sound moderators and never have I seen one fracture the threads. If it was me I would try it. For the first dozen or so be sure to check the brake area to be sure the paper is clearing the chambers. With 200gr of powder blasting out the ports I seriously doubt the paper is going to be handing around for long.

pdawg_shooter
04-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for that information. Really wondering now.

Can the folks who have heard that PP damages guns with a muzzle brake provide a first hand account or a reference published/posted by someone who's actually seen it happen?

No offense is meant, I just wonder if this is one of those things that "everone knows".

Probably read in in a gun mag.

ETG
04-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I have never heard about PPing but I do remember reading of problems shooting sabots with a muzzle brake over on the 50 cal board several years ago. The solution was to take the brake off - didn't need it anyway with a 180gn projo. Now with an 850 gn projo you would definitely want a brake.

pdawg_shooter
04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
A sabot is a solid piece, paper leaves the muzzle in tiny scraps. Wont even hurt your chronograph!