PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start ?

wallenba
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm getting real curious about swaging guys. I don't know the first thing about doing it. I searched the stickies for a beginners thread, did not find anything. What I would like to know is what is possible to make (rifle and handgun), what to read, and where to find the sources I would need to get started and If a casual rifle shooter would find it useful. Currently I cast for .380, 9mm, 38-.357, 44, 45acp & colt, .223 rifle and .308 rifle. A lot more of the indoor ranges around here are allowing jacketed only. Thanks.

Rock
04-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Great questions wallenba! I'm at about the same spot you are, swaging looks interesting but the swaging tools websites have so many choices of presses and dies that I am unable to wade thru all the data to reach an informed decision. The substantial time lag between order and delivery of dies is also a large barrier.

ANeat
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
If I was recommending something it would probably be a CH4d die on a reloading press just to get your feet wet and see if you enjoy the process.

I think Ammosmith has a couple videos on youtube of the process. Lots of info here as well.

Much past that and youre looking at a serious investment. If you enjoy doing stuff like that and take some pride and satisfaction in making your own stuff it would probably be a worth while investment.
All the tools are top notch/high quality stuff that holds its value very well; so youre certainly not throwing your money away.

wallenba
04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Rock, I went surfing a bit on the net, ended up at http://www.corbins.com/ they have a CD rom that is $9.50 that may help. I called and ordered one, the website also has a lot of beginners info. It looks like it might be easier and cheaper to wade into than I had thought. Give it a look.

wallenba
04-06-2010, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=ANeat;862284]If I was recommending something it would probably be a CH4d die on a reloading press just to get your feet wet and see if you enjoy the process.

I think Ammosmith has a couple videos on youtube of the process. Lots of info here as well.

Thanks, I've watched a lot of Ammosmith stuff, great videos. I'll take a look for swaging.

BT Sniper
04-06-2010, 07:11 PM
A CH die is certainly a great way to start in swaging. I recamend some better internial parts for the die though. I have interduced severial new swagers to this hobby with a set of improved CH dies and they have been having very good results. The 44 is certainly an easy bullet to make from scrap 40 S&W brass. The 40 cal is even easier from scrap 9mm brass. Best thing is that they can be made on a typical decent reloading press. Really is a fairly cheap investment to give swaging a try before you go all out on some corbine dies.

BT Sniper

Check my 40 cal easiest by far thread. Lots of good info there and a quick video too.

MIBULLETS
04-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Wallenba and Rock, if you visit the Corbin site to this page that has free downloadable books. I would recomend the Corbin HB8 for anyone looking at getting into swaging. http://www.swage.com/ebooks.htm

Dan