PDA

View Full Version : Remington life expectation

Jack Stanley
04-06-2010, 11:52 AM
For those of you that have used the Remington pump action rifles , what is the durability of them . I am considering one of the 7615 rifles but if the action is going to wear out before the barrel like the Remington autos I don't think I'll waste my time with them .

Thanks , Jack

fishhawk
04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
i have one i bought in 1968 only problem i had was a broke fireing pin in that time its still going strong. steve k

largom
04-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Don't know about pumps or autos, don't own any, but a good bolt action will out live you and they are more accurate.

Larry

jh45gun
04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
The pump guns will last unlike the semi auto 740 and 742. The reason being the pump guns being manual action does not have the violent slam of the bolt coming back with the bolt camming and the bolt lugs wearing into the softer rails of the receiver. This is the reason I took the semi auto that was given to me a 742 which the receiver was half worn on the rails and I plugged the gas port which made it a straight pull manual repeater. No more semi auto action. Go ahead and buy it it will not wear out fast like the semi auto ones did. Remington supposedly too care of the problem of the semi autos with the 7400 versions and newer. The pump guns never had the issues the semi auto's did even though the receiver was the same.

two dogs
04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
i have a 760 35 remington 1954 vintage has not failed yet.

Jack Stanley
04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
I've Seen only a couple of the new models on the dealers tables and I've thought they would be fun with cast . Having a few AR mags laying around to use might be a weak reason to buy one but I've use less of a reason to buy guns and loading gear . :oops: I got bolt action rifles that I'm sure will shoot rings around it but that isn't really the point I don't think . I'm just sorta thinking out loud and if I happened to see one of the pumps walking through the gun show and the owner needed money I'd be able to help doncha see ...............

That reminds me I got a show to go to this weekend and one of the dealers promised me he'd look in his collection for a duplicate he could spare . I hope he comes through with something like a double cavity 225462 , I've been using bullets from one of those and it works pretty good .

Jack

mack1
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
When I worked at the gun shop here we had several of the older 740 style autos with small locking lugs go bad. the 760 style pumps seem to be fine. the owner will not buy an auto anymore. the newer 7400 and 7600 with two large locking lugs have posed no problems.

jh45gun
04-16-2010, 10:46 AM
The reason why is well documented which is why I made the 742 given to me into a straight pull action instead of a semi auto. That way the receiver will take no more punishment and last for plinking and target shooting cast bullets at the range and elsewhere and maybe take an occasional deer.

218bee
04-17-2010, 09:00 AM
I would be suprised if you could wear out that pump in your lifetime

R.C. Hatter
04-17-2010, 10:27 AM
:coffeecom I did gun repair work for 43 years and found the Remington semi-autos so
bad for battering the bolt heads and locking surfaces, that they didn't last very long.
The pump guns were somewhat better. I feel you would be so much better served, and satisfied, by a bolt action, rather than the Remingtons mentioned.

jh45gun
04-17-2010, 10:34 AM
:coffeecom I did gun repair work for 43 years and found the Remington semi-autos so
bad for battering the bolt heads and locking surfaces, that they didn't last very long.
The pump guns were somewhat better. I feel you would be so much better served, and satisfied, by a bolt action, rather than the Remingtons mentioned.

The new guns in semi auto (7400 and newer) fixed that problem of the receivers being battered but I have never heard of the same issue with the pump guns and they were basically the same receiver only the pump guns were operated manually instead of gas operated. It was the force of the gas operating that damaged the receivers when the bolts cammed over and damaged the rails of the receiver. That never happened with the pump guns. You still see lots of the older model pump guns out there still working fine and gun shops will take them in trade with no issues. That cannot be said for the older semi auto guns.

Jack Stanley
04-17-2010, 12:22 PM
I may be a bit premature watching for a 7615 that's walking around the show looking for a new home but hey , I'm thinking about buying old casting gear too . Ya never can tell what the guys might want to sell that I just "can't" live without . Besides , it would give me a reason to set up a table at the show huh? I think if the pumps don't have issues in the larger cartridges , it would be pretty safe to buy one chambered in the two-two-three .

Jack

jh45gun
04-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I would not be afraid to buy a pump at all. In fact it was the reputation of the pumps lasting and the semi autos NOT that prompted me to plug the gas port on the semi auto given to me so it would last like a pump gun and just work the bolt manually which works fine by the way.

ARMINIUS PANZERSCHMIED
09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
At a local range,,the manager,who is a "smith,,was talkin' to Remington about a Rem.Auto,,and during the conversation,the Remington guy said thier Autos were engineered for 500 rnd.s,,give or take.As for thier pumps,,I have never known of or heard of a pump going down,,and as the bbl is free floated,,with ammo they like,,shoot damn good!!!

jmh54738
09-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I agree with RC Hatter, in 30 years of repair work, the 740 and 742 Remington are my most frequently encountered (Remington) repairs. Not only the battering of the locking surfaces, but more frequently the lack of maintenance by the owner. No one ever uses the chamber brush that came with each new rifle. Thus, 1) they begin to pull the rims off the cartridges, 2) they break the extractor, 3) rip off the front portion of the bolt. A big gun shop in MN will convert these rifles to pump action, although I have never examined one. The pumps will shoot beyond any shooters lifetime, with the only issue, perhaps the plastic dust cover. Not counted is the pump that was run over by the owner's truck and bent the barrel.
John

azcruiser
09-15-2010, 04:51 AM
I have a mod 11 made in 1943 for the us army by REM thats 67 yrs old no problems and i have shot everything out of it black powder loads- marbles -flechetts-cast slugs -factory slugs-ice cubes-rock salt -rice- got an old 870 from 1967 no problems had a 1100 had to replace that little o-ring rubber thing a few times and on extractor my fault bad reloads stuck case

Marine Sgt 2111
09-15-2010, 05:31 AM
How pitiful...Remington knowingly markets a piece of trash that beats itself to death. This just underscores using my M-1 Grande for selecting my buck burgers. How is it that we as a nation can build a missle that will fly 3000 and land within 4 feet of it's target yet we can't built a durable .30 sporting rifle gas gun? Oh that's right I forgot, we needed to give $780 billion to the banking industry...

Artful
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
How pitiful...Remington knowingly markets a piece of trash that beats itself to death. This just underscores using my M-1 Grande for selecting my buck burgers. How is it that we as a nation can build a missle that will fly 3000 and land within 4 feet of it's target yet we can't built a durable .30 sporting rifle gas gun? Oh that's right I forgot, we needed to give $780 billion to the banking industry...

[rant mode on]
Well, as much I agree with you, I think it's a combination of things.
First Corporate Greed to make a product as cheaply as possible. Second engineers that either don't understand user need or don't care for user satisfaction. It's like our cars and other items - seems to have planned breakage and expensive maintainance built in.

Had a Chevy Vega - replaced the stupid rubber band (Timing Belt) several times if they had used chain like older technology, it still would have been going on the original parts.

Had a Ford Taurus - lovely card until went over 80,000 miles then parts started failing - knew I was was in trouble when the heater core went bad and the mechanic refuse to repair - said he owned one that did the same thing and had to start by taking off the steering wheel and then take out all the dash components until he got to heater core, owned a 1964 chevy that you took off cover on the fire wall to replace the heat core - what did they forget that technology?

Have a Dodge Caravan had electrical issues, looked up on the internet - it's a known design flaw - they put the wires too close to engine and the heat makes it act up as the insulation breaks down - also can look forward to the strut tower rusting out and the strut coming thru the hood at some point due to design flaw.

I could go on but we as a civilizaton have lost the war wilth entropy and Choas is decending, I'm just glad I'm old and won't be around for the next 100 years.
[Rant mode off]
:brokenima

Jack Stanley
09-15-2010, 04:29 PM
C'mon Dwight , don't hold it back , say what ya really mean [smilie=s:

The government doesn't mind paying for the technology developement and production of that missle or many of the other things in life . Mostly because it's not their money and they are so hooked on O.P.M. ( other peoples money ) their only concern is keep taking more .

After government contracts to Remington got canceled in the forties it's easy to see why they would want much to do with making durable goods . It is nice to see them stepping into 1911 pistols again , maybe there's a chance for a limited run of rolling blocks in 30-40 or some such thing huh?

Jack

azcruiser
09-16-2010, 01:08 AM
You have to remember Remington isn't Remington they were bought some time ago and of their guns well like everybody else come from Russia-Turkey-were ever they think they can make the most money .Same with everybody else I still think most 1911 frames and slides for those high dollar type guns are made in the Philippines by ARMSCOR . It's all about the money it's always about the money . Don't get me wrong I like money

Four Fingers of Death
09-16-2010, 07:52 AM
It is not only corporate greed driving quality down, consumers want the best deal period and will shop around to get it. Years ago, we would wander down to the gunshop and ask how much that gun cost. Now people want to know how much cheaper you can get it for. We can shop world wide. We used to make sure we'd shop in our town, that way the money stayed there and helped us all.

I have had a lot of experience with 870s, limited experience with Rmington pump rifles and not much personal experience with the autos. The Woody in 3006 was the rifle of choice amongst a lot of Sambar Hunters in Australia, especially the doggers. The early ones were a bit trouble prone, but later models were ok.

I have a 308 Police pump, not much ammo through it yet. My mate has a 7615 and he has had it for a couple of years. He used to be a Sargent in the Regular Army and doesn't seen to have any trouble coming up with cases of mil sup ammo (I don't think they were mil sup until he got hold of them :D. He has put 1000s through it without a problem.

As far as Remington goes, most people who buy the pump guns would be lucky to put more than 4-5 boxes of ammo through them before they moved them on. They ar ebuilding a gun to suit the market I suppose.

My short barrelled Police 308 seems plenty accurate. I've only shot Remington factory ammo so far. When thats gone I will work out some loads for it. I think I'll be lucky to wear ir out.

Jack Stanley
09-16-2010, 09:08 AM
It's sad to say that the company that made my model 511 rimfire rifle can't do that sort of thing anymore . Both customer and company are being squeezed by the greed above them ... yet the re-elections seem to go on .

It's not that I've been taken by casting for the tiny bore rifle but I have done a bit of it in the last year . The test subject is an old 788 chambered in two two three and it is giving fun groups at up to forty yards or so . By "fun" I mean it's used mostly for offhand practice getting me used to shooting from the right hand side . I did try some groups on a SR1 target using the bench with a hundred fifteen yards between us and target . The load did eights or better and for a ten shot group , no scope and failing eyes I still think it was fun .

Since I got ahold of a four cavity mold that casts pretty decent slugs . I'm thinking more on the idea of the 7615 and cast bullets at the thirty to forty yard line for offhand fun . Only thing though , has anyone ever tried shooting mild steel targets with cast twenty-two bullets . I just made a nice set of targets for the neice and nephew and I would want to put divots in them .

Thanks , Jack

jh45gun
09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I have heard from others that Remington said the Semi Auto Guns (740 and 742) were good for a 1000 rounds which would be a lifetime for a guy who only shoots a couple of shots to check for a sight in and shoots his game with one or two shots a year. My gunsmith said that was more realistic to say 500 rounds instead of a 1000.

For folks who like to shoot a lot I can see these guns wearing out so that is why I converted mine which is easy to do.

azcruiser
09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
This may sound bad but part of the problem and the price driven markets here in the USA are because almost any YAHOO can get an FFL or CR licence and then he'she out there selling guns at 5 to 20 bucks over cost plus freight and maybe tax and half of them pocket the tax .Thats where the profits went and along with them the quality followed. I used to travel mostly Europe and around the Med sea country's. What I found was that a firearms dealer say in Germany was
a pretty well off money wise gave great service had a very nice store with a ton of merchandise and regular type guns and guns running into the mid teens to 30 k or more a professional person who made a very good living and had a decent markup in line with others but there were far fewer dealers .With guns imported from the USA their's a 16% vat Tax that called A VALUE ADDED TAX -plus shipping- customs brokers fee-in country shipping plus local taxes. Here most dealer not all but most are living hand to mouth don't know the true cost of the sales they make or do it as a hobby/don't want to pay retail or are part timers. Half or more have no credit and the other 1/4 of the other half don't pay sooner than latter. Just my 2 cents worth

Jack Stanley
09-16-2010, 10:15 PM
That's an interesting point I hadn't considered but prior to 1968 I think anybody could order guns from anywhere and the quality was better in names like Remington . I was just a lad at the time and hadn't started buying guns so someone my senior would have to school me on that area .

Jack

jh45gun
09-17-2010, 12:07 AM
This may sound bad but part of the problem and the price driven markets here in the USA are because almost any YAHOO can get an FFL or CR licence and then he'she out there selling guns at 5 to 20 bucks over cost plus freight and maybe tax and half of them pocket the tax . Thats where the profits went and along with them the quality followed. I used to travel mostly Europe and around the Med sea country's. What I found was that a firearms dealer say in Germany was
a pretty well off money wise gave great service had a very nice store with a ton of merchandise and regular type guns and guns running into the mid teens to 30 k or more a professional person who made a very good living and had a decent markup in line with others but there were far fewer dealers .With guns imported from the USA their's a 16% vat Tax that called A VALUE ADDED TAX -plus shipping- customs brokers fee-in country shipping plus local taxes. Here most dealer not all but most are living hand to mouth don't know the true cost of the sales they make or do it as a hobby/don't want to pay retail or are part timers. Half or more have no credit and the other 1/4 of the other half don't pay sooner than latter. Just my 2 cents worth

Not much so any more yea back when FFL's were cheap lots of folks would get them but now the price drove a lot of hobby type folks who had them out of business as far as the curio and relic license goes you cannot legally use it for a business you can buy a gun log it in your book and later decide to sell it if you don't want it but if you do that regularly and the BATF catches ya your in trouble.

Jack Stanley
09-18-2010, 08:54 AM
The last couple of days would have been a great time to have one of the 7615 pumps . I've been using up leftover cast twenty-two bullets in the 788 bolt rifle . It's got a globe front sight and a Williams reciever sight along with a Morgan adjustable pad and a hand rest attached to a blank magazine . The trigger was smoothed by the guy who modified the rest of the stuff and it works good for teaching me the basics of shooting from my opposite side .

The bullets have been just about everything but I have been leaning toward low velocity and no gas check . The target is a swinging steel woodchuck cutout and I've been shooting from both offhand and sitting positions from fifty to eighty yards out .

I suppose a pump would have been fun but maybe wouldn't have done much for teaching me anything . I did have an idea last night though , while going through the gun box I found a nice four power Leupold that may help me actually see the target insted of just know the area it's in . :shock:...... like my gunsmith siad once , " Getting old ain't fer sissys ! "

I guess I oughta start looking for some extra money to take to the next gun show , I've almost talked myself into the idea .

Jack