PDA

View Full Version : Gunderson powder scale info wanted

George_J
04-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Does anyone have pictures or info on the Gunderson powder scale?
I understand only a few hundred were made and they are hard to find.

The patent is here:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2833506.pdf

Thanks,
George

George_J
04-07-2010, 10:50 PM
23 members have viewed this and not one response.
Gundersons must be even more rare than I thought!!!

Is this like a secret society???

The secret order of the Honerable Guderson???:grin:

How about a hint on what other forums I should ask on?:bigsmyl2:

[smilie=s:

John F.
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Yes, Gundersons are pretty rare. I haven't seen/used one, but have studied what I could find out about them over the years. Their principle benefit at the time they were made was that they provided weighed-quality powder charges at much higher speed/less effort than actually hand-weighing them. Very useful to an NRA Highpower competitor, who shoots a large volume of high quality ammo.

IIRC, there were 2 types of Gundersons (maybe more.) As I understand it, the earlier ones weren't too good, but the transistorized (?) versions that came later were very good. They are scarce, and expensive when found. I seem to recall that Mid Tompkins (many times national champion long range shooter who got his start back in the 50's, and is still shooting) uses one to load the ammo for him, his wife Nancy Gallagher-Tompkins (Also a perennial champion) and their 2 daughters (also perennial champions!!)

Nowadays, there are other electronic scale/measure combos that work well, but in its day, the Gunderson was as high tech as it got.

Hope this helps,
John

1hole
04-08-2010, 11:44 AM
"Is this like a secret society???"

No. We just don't talk about it.

:)

Pressman
04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
This one sold on eBay this winter for around $750.00. I have no other info on them.

Ken

George_J
04-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Thank you everyone for your help. [smilie=s:

1hole, that was a good zing. :bigsmyl2:

Utah Shooter
06-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Back to the top. Curious as well.

Utah Shooter
07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
So just curious if anyone else perhaps knows a bit more of value on these? Any help appreciated.