PDA

View Full Version : Ammo found

Freightman
04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
at the range thrown in the trash. I pulled it down for the bullets, there was 25 cases, they had 150gr bullets I have never used before they had a plastic tip on them and were in good shape. Have no idea what the problem was. the box was marked 150gr 47gr 760 BR powder. I am not familiar with that powder so I put it in a medicine bottle to use as fertilizer.
I think I know the problem, I de-primed the brass and it was all LC brass, but whoever took the crimp out of the primer pocket got carried away as it almost fell out when I ran them through my universal de-caper, so the brass will be scraped.
Wasn't a complete loss as I will use the bullets in my 03-A3 for hog hunting.
I would like some info on the powder though.

454PB
04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't know if it's the same, but I use WW760 powder in my .338 WM rifles, it's the same as Hodgdon 414. It's a medium slow powder, somewhere between IMR 4320 and IMR 4350.

It kind of bothers me that someone would drop loaded ammo in a trash can......just seems irresponsible to me. I'd take it home and disassemble it to avoid leaving a potential danger for another shooter.

clearwater
04-05-2010, 11:33 PM
From the 60's. Same burn rate as ww 760. Best powder in my 308 with 150 grain nosler accubonds.

Freightman
04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
It kind of bothers me that someone would drop loaded ammo in a trash can......just seems irresponsible to me. I'd take it home and disassemble it to avoid leaving a potential danger for another shooter.[/QUOTE]
Me also as the man who takes care of the trash burns it< I do not prefer to do it that way but I do not make the rules.

ballistic
04-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I would use it on the lawn.
There is no way of knowing for sure what powder it really is.