PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil?

Elkins45
04-05-2010, 08:59 PM
So after 15 years or so of other stuff getting in the way I am now back at shooting/reloading/casting in a serious way. I was at the grocery picking up some supplies for home brew lube experiments and I stumbled across a container of coconut oil.

The health nazis have been telling us for years now that it will clog up your arteries but good...which got me to thinking. Wouldn't something like that make a decent lube ingredient? At the very least it might make the stuff smell good :)

Anybody ever try coconut oil in their lube mixes?

Tom-ADC
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
No but I still use it to make popcorn..

cricco
04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
It's expensive, and it becomes liquid at room temp.

TreeKiller
04-06-2010, 02:48 AM
Check this site.

http://www.soapgoods.com/Coconut-Oil-Refined-p-227.html?gclid=COqaw_W6nZwCFRwpawodzG1WdA

Elkins45
04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
It's expensive, and it becomes liquid at room temp.

What if you mix it with something that doesn't, like paraffin wax?

WILCO
04-06-2010, 08:14 AM
What if you mix it with something that doesn't, like paraffin wax?

Why try to reinvent the wheel?
Plenty of lubes have been established with proven results. Save your cash for primers and powder or good cigars. [smilie=s:

felix
04-06-2010, 08:49 AM
I have used it to no advantage. Use it for native popcorn and/or soap. It excels in both of those applications, including some in soups made oriental style. Orientals have been eating that stuff, and eggs, for centuries and never had the reputation of getting clogged blood channels like we do here eating red meat. I think it has something to do with not destroying the ingredients when cooking, i.e., eating egg yoke without the rest of it. ... felix

Recluse
04-06-2010, 10:34 AM
At the very least it might make the stuff smell good :)

Anybody ever try coconut oil in their lube mixes?

When I smell coconut oil, I think of suntan lotions.

When I think of suntan lotions, I think of Hawaiian Tropic.

When I think of Hawaiian Tropic, I think of the Hawaiian Tropic bikini contest girls.

When I think of the Hawaiian Tropic bikini contest girls, it really messes up my concentration and aim and my shooting goes downhill in one big hurry.

That's why I cannot use coconut oil in any of my boolit lubes. It's too dangerous.

:coffee:

felix
04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Aloe aloha! ... felix

jeep45238
04-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Sounds like Recluse hit the nail on the head from here.

geargnasher
04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
When I think of coconut grease I think of the old cinema in Ganado, TX where the owner, an old Bohemian friend of mine, has used it to make popcorn in an ancient and well-maintained machine for over 50 years (less a couple he served in the army). Best popcorn on the planet, used to take trash bags full of it back to the dorms in college for study food, the stuff would stay fresh for at least a week. Not the same with butter or canola.

Gear

semtav
04-07-2010, 11:38 PM
the stuff would stay fresh for at least a week. Not the same with butter or canola.

Gear

so it ought to keep the bullets fresher longer too??