PDA

View Full Version : swaging lube

shaggist
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
How does case resizing lubricant work as a swaging lube? It is certainly easier to clean up than lanolin.

ANeat
04-05-2010, 06:41 PM
What case lube? some are soap based, some lanolin based, some other blends as well.

I use a lanolin mix myself. I think any of the above would work. Im not sure if under an extreme case one would be better than the others

shaggist
04-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Specifically, RCBS Case Lube-2, as it is water-soluble. Which ones are soap-based and which ones lanolin based?

Sarg
04-05-2010, 07:43 PM
I keep a small jug of 70% rubbing alcohol. Takes lanolin off no problem super easy.

Sarg

ANeat
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
The Lee and I think the RCBS is soap based, Dillons spray lube is a Lanolin/Alcohol mix. Im not sure about Imperial sizing lube.

They all work well, I havent tried the RCBS stuff but it would be an interesting comparison. Probably tough to tell the difference

Smokin7mm
04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I use a mixture of lanolin and castor oil. This is what the swaging lube that Richard Corbin sells. He told me not to use regular case sizing lube as it doesnt hold up under the pressures of swaging and you could damage your dies. Not that he just wanted to sell me "HIS" lube formula which I did buy the first time (5.00/2oz which lasted me nearly 2 years) as he told me exactly what it was and how to mix it. Swaging dies are expensive and this is one place I'm not skimping to save a dime and if you make your own it is cheaper than the sizing lubes anyways and is probably cheaper to just buy the 2oz jar for 5.00 which is still probably cheaper. Now if you use the dillon which is lanolin based that would be fine but you are paying for alot of isopropyl alcohol with very little lanolin and if you spray it on you risk getting it inside the jacket where you do not want it prior to seating the core.
my 2¢
Bret

deltaenterprizes
04-06-2010, 10:10 AM
STP works well also, one can is a lifetime supply.

ncbearman
11-12-2015, 09:46 PM
haha Old thread revived. Let's hear it guys. What are you using? Honestly I have been using light weight machine oil that I use on my presses. I pour some out on the table then put a pinch between my fingers and lube the case/jacket. To clean I spray brake cleaner in a rag and wad up several bullets at a time. I'm making .45's using CH4D #101 dies.

Love the STP idea. Do they still sell that?

R.Ph. 380
11-13-2015, 01:11 AM
I like to use STP when I'm resizing some of the military 308(machine gun) brass. STP has kept me from sticking many a 308.

Bill

fredj338
11-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Specifically, RCBS Case Lube-2, as it is water-soluble. Which ones are soap-based and which ones lanolin based?

IMO, won't take the stress. I won't even use the RCBS to form cases form one caliber to another, it fails. So home made castor oil/lanolin is as good or better than many comm swage lubes. Alcohol/lanolin for a case lube is great too.

Merc67
11-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Mink oil wax works just as well. It's like $5 and you can get it in most shoe departments :)

Utah Shooter
11-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Neats foot and lanolin. I have used the rcbs case lube with no il effects. It is just not as cheap.

B R Shooter
11-19-2015, 07:30 AM
I use RCBS Case Lube for squirting cores, because it cleans up so easily. Lanolin/caster oil mix for the rest.

DukeInFlorida
11-21-2015, 10:16 AM
I use 75% Anhydrous Lanolin and 25% Militec 1 gun lube. The Militec1 is a synthetic oil, and it's also what I use to lube all my pistols.

I mix those together with a coat hanger wire bent to form a mixer (straight piece with a loop at the end), mounted in a drill motor, so that I can spin the two ingredients together. It's even better (my opinion) than the lanolin/castor oil combo.