PDA

View Full Version : Micrometers at MidwayUSA.com

ghh3rd
04-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I have a caliper, but need a micrometer. I was looking at the MidwayUSA site, and see several in the $25 to $50 range. Although they are brand names, such as RCBS, etc., I know these won't perform anything like the high end brands/models, but wonder if they's suffice to get fairly accurate measurements when I slug a barrel.

If anyone happens to go to Midway, perhaps you could check out their micrometers and let me know what you suggest for my purposes.

Thanks,

Randy

Patrick L
04-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I bought an import micrometer from Enco for $13.

True, it probably won't cut it for NASA, but it has all of the precision most of us are even capable of realizing with it.

jameslovesjammie
04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I have the $20 Frankford Arsenal digital micrometer and like it. It is just as accurate as the other digital micrometers up to the $50 or so price range. Really good micrometers are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

For me, the accuracy is good enough with the cheapo for what I need it for. If I was going to get real serious, I would get a Mitutoyo.

ghh3rd
04-05-2010, 04:55 PM
One other question - is a digital any easier to use? All of the digitals I've seen read to .001 digitally, but then you must read of the dial to get the .0001. Probably not worth the extra $ for digital?

JIMinPHX
04-05-2010, 06:01 PM
If you are not familiar with reading the vernier scale on a micrometer, then the digital ones might be easier for you to use without making a mistake. I've been using Mic's for over 20 years & every now & then I still blow a rev & make a part that is .0250" out of spec. Harbor Freight has some mechanical digital ones that are pretty cheap & still have the digits to keep you from making that mistake. They aren't exactly NBS traceable, but they are better than calipers. They sometimes go on sale for like $15.

The ones that you get with brand names like RCBS, Frankfort, etc. are just brand labeled. Those guys don't make any of that stuff themselves. You are paying for a markup & not getting a better quality instrument. If you buy from someplace like MSC, then you can choose from a wide variety of qualities & price ranges. MSC tells you right up front, what the different quality levels are. the Chinese ones are the bottom of the bucket, but if you tune them up a little, they can be OK for occasional use. The Polish ones are a little better than that & still not too pricey. The econo stuff from the big name brands like Starrett is pretty good stuff, but usually doesn't have a tenth scale & isn't really that cheap. SPI is usually the cheapest brand that is traceable. Watch for sales on the good stuff. Every once in a while, you get lucky.

No matter what Mic you get, it will only be as good as the operator. You need to practice on known standards until you can come up with reliable & repeatable readings.

theperfessor
04-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Enco and MSC offer better deals, I'm sure the ones labeled RCBS etc. are made in the same factory in China.

AviatorTroy
04-05-2010, 08:27 PM
IMHO I personally prefer not to have a digital readout if possible. I be you can look on ebay or something and get a 50 year old Starrett mic that is far better than a new chinese one anyway....

AviatorTroy
04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Someone should definetly snatch up this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Starrett-No-436-0-1-Outside-Micrometer_W0QQitemZ270555906326QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efe638116

Firebricker
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
I normally don't suggest e-bay but it seem's like micrometer's go pretty reasonable. I bought I Starrett like new in box for half price including shipping. If you find something that looks good open another window and check the price online to make sure it's a good deal. FB

Buckshot
04-06-2010, 12:09 AM
..............ENCO at http://www.use-enco.com has a free shipping code for this month on orders over $25. The code is: PFSAPR.

..............Buckshot

ghh3rd
04-06-2010, 12:38 AM
I was looking at this one http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=950223&PMAKA=600-2128 Does it seem to be a fair price for what it is?

Among other things, I want to slug some barrels and masure the slugs, and have a question.

I can envision how to measure the lands, but how can you measure the grooves?

mike in co
04-06-2010, 01:40 AM
typically things are wide and shallow..allowing the mic to measure both..

JIMinPHX
04-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Buying Mic's off of flea bay is a bit risky. Just because that Starrett was a nice piece 30 years ago, doesn't mean that it's still a good one now. If you take good care of those things, they last a lifetime. If you take poor care of them, then they turn to junk like everything else. If the screw threads are worn in a particular area where it was used a lot, then it is screwed. If I were to bid on a flea bay mic, I'd figure in the cost of sending the mic back to Starrett for a rebuild.

JIMinPHX
04-06-2010, 05:39 AM
This may be a pretty good deal. It's about half off on a low end Fowler -

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMCTLG=00&PMAKA=EV85217503&partnerURL=http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/mscdirect/index.aspxopagename=shopmainPcircularid=16210Pstor eid=1040626Ppagenumber=43Pmode=

HangFireW8
04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
One other question - is a digital any easier to use? All of the digitals I've seen read to .001 digitally, but then you must read of the dial to get the .0001. Probably not worth the extra $ for digital?

I abhor digitals. With an mechanical/vernier, you can more easily see the effect of bad workpiece handling, stressing the mike, etc. With a digital you get a bunch of flashing numbers until is settles down somewhere... before flashing again.

I have a Mitutoyo (pronounced Mee Tsu Toy oh)* .0001" mechanical blade mike, a cheap chinese ball/anvil mike for case neck thickness, two dial calipers, one an Enco import and the other Midway, they are identical down to the style of etched serial numbers. Also half a dozen old Starrett Micrometers, mostly 1" but a few larger.

I am in a happy place, they all agree.

The oldest belonged to my machinist/tool & die maker Grandfather, one to my Dad, the Mitutoyo cost me dear but not as dear as the Starrett digital version blade mike that I passed on. If Starrett had made a mechanical blade I would have paid an extra hundred for it, but I won't go an extra 300 for a digital readout I don't even want.

-HF

*Blame Hepburn for not putting the S in the Romanization. Trust me, it's there.

goofyoldfart
04-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I was on Enco's tool site looking for plug gauges to check spec's on chamber throats and as on off thought decided to check mic's due to this thread. they have specials on Fowlers, Starretts etc. They have good prices on Brown & Sharps, SPI and Mitutoyo's also. Just my .02 . I still have my B&S's and Starrett's from my days as a "A" precision Millwright.

Cheers to all:cbpour: :redneck:

MtGun44
04-06-2010, 11:41 PM
The cheaper Enco and MSC stuff is still fairly decent. Go up to Mitotoyo or so in price
will get you a bit nicer mic but probably not a lot more accurate. Actually, measuring
some of our stuff tighter than .001 is as much feel and experience as the tool, anyway.

If you have zippo experience with a mic get a machinist to give you a 2 minute lesson
and you'll be way ahead. Getting consistent fit and feel is critical and not necessarily
obvious to the beginner. Once you are shown what to do properly, it is a lot easier.
you might even take something made of steel with you to your machinist friend and
have him measure it and then you measure it. Once you decide on the measurement
you can go back and practice your feel occasionally to get back in the groove.

machinisttx
04-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I've been called a tool snob, but IMO, buy quality once and cry once. The uber cheap china made tools(RCBS is NOT a brand name when it comes to micrometers) very likely don't come with any sort of accuracy guarantee, whereas the actual brand names like mitutoyo, Brown and Sharpe, or Starrett will.

Mitutoyo micrometers are not that expensive, especially if you catch them on sale from someplace like enco. I happen to prefer Starrett, but that's personal preference.

jlchucker
04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
IMHO I personally prefer not to have a digital readout if possible. I be you can look on ebay or something and get a 50 year old Starrett mic that is far better than a new chinese one anyway....

Yup. And don't overlook the old Brown & Sharpe ones either.

The Double D
04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Here is a couple of other reasonable priced places to look for these type tools:

Rutland Tools https://www.shoprutlandtool.com/catalog/

Travers Tool http://www.travers.com/

Wholesale Tool http://www.wttool.com/

Check their websites you might find they have a store front in your neighborhood.

prickett
04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a caliper, but need a micrometer. I was looking at the MidwayUSA site, and see several in the $25 to $50 range. Although they are brand names, such as RCBS, etc., I know these won't perform anything like the high end brands/models, but wonder if they's suffice to get fairly accurate measurements when I slug a barrel.

If anyone happens to go to Midway, perhaps you could check out their micrometers and let me know what you suggest for my purposes.

Thanks,

Randy

I have a Frankfort Arsenal cheapo that I've always wondered about its accuracy. Recently, I bought cast bullets marked as .452. I took out the micrometer and it measured... .452. I tried some repeatability tests and got consistent results. AFAIC these are more than adequate.

Green Frog
04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
I used a Lyman 1" mic that I picked up somewhere to do a lot of the measuring for a machine shop course I took at my local community college, but as time and funds allowed, I bought a bunch of Starrett mics used off flea-Bay by watching and waiting for just what I wanted in good condition from a reputable dealer. Obvious damage is to be avoided, but otherwise, they seem to just go on and on. I also bought a micrometer for measuring case neck thickness that is Starrett, although they thought they were selling it for something else! Maybe I've been lucky, and of course YMMV, but that's been my personal experience.

Froggie

swallytrip
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM
I went to college for machine tool and die and depending on what i could afford at the time i have an assortment of tools mostly Starett and fowler and some mititoyo but honestly using gauge blocks to check acuracy there wasnt any difference in my starett and fowler 1 inch mics and if there ever was they can be calibrated on a guage block easily. But thats just my $.02