PDA

View Full Version : How do I identify this white inlay?

Typecaster
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
How do I tell if white inlay is white gold or platinum? This is a German jaeger rifle, dated 1842. It was originally a flintlock (the frizzen spring is still on the lock), but was carefully converted to percussion. The hammer is engraved to be an eel (?) with white lips and eyes and teeth, and gold pupils and tongue. There is also a white decorative band inlaid into the breechblock.

I’d forgotten about the white inlay. Like the gold on the hammer, it was not tarnished, just had carbon fouling (my dad and I used to shoot this one). Trigger guard and other fittings are German silver, and have the expected yellowish oxidization, but these inlays are bright silver. Is there a non-destructive test to see what they are?

Thanks,

Richard

docone31
04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
You can take an Onglette graver and cut off a small piece. The scar can be planished down so it is not noticed.
Perhaps pure silver, white gold, but not platinum. Too hard to work in back then. Takes 3000* to melt. Gold at least can be melted and poured in. More likely it was hammered in. Both silver and white gold were easily hammered.

stubshaft
04-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Maybe white gold as it did not tarnish.

calaloo
04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
I believe some jewelers have a machine with a probe that is simply touched to the metal. There is no destruction.

I know a fellow who has a German made 10 Ga. percussion double shotgun which has "frizzen springs" but instead of frizzens there is a piece which partially encircles the nipples and acts as a safety. Might be the case with your rifle.

mtnman31
04-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Pretty nice looking work on the rifle. Do you have any pictures you could post of the rest of the rifle?