PDA

View Full Version : Crimping Question

Daves1
04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Does crimping further size cast bullets? The reason I ask is when I size my .41 cal. bullets to .412 they will not go through my ruger cylinders with quite a bit of force. After loading them and roll crimping with Hornady dies they slip right in and shoot well with only a small amount of lead dust in barrel. Is this common?:killingpc

hiram
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Slug the cylinders, mic the bullets

MtGun44
04-05-2010, 01:37 PM
If you throats are about .410 and your boolits are .412, then the .002 oversize is about
right for good results. Depending on how hard your alloy is, you may need a good bit
of force to push an unlubricated boolit thru the throat. If you are doing this be careful
to fully support the cylinder, and probably remove it from the gun to avoid damage.

Unless the alloy is very soft I would not expect significant reduction in boolit diameter.

One way to check is to make up a dummy round, exactly like a live one but no powder and
primer, then use an impact puller to remove the boolit and measure it with a
micrometer - not calipers which are not really accurate enough for this chore.

Drive a lightly oiled boolit thru the lightly oiled cylinder and measure it, too. This will tell
you what your throat diameter is.

Sounds like you are already doing well.

mike in co
04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
the case is still flared ??

so get a mic and see whats going on...

it maybe just the case mouth.

mike in co

Daves1
04-05-2010, 11:42 PM
They wont fit after running them through the lubsizer. But after I load them I'm suspecting the crimping process is sizing them down some more because they slide right in after seating and crimping process.