PDA

View Full Version : 91/30 7.62x54R

GP100man
04-05-2010, 08:54 AM
OK fellers I got 2 of em & it`s the start of an addictive conquest !!!:mrgreen:

I went back to the gunshow to buy 1 & could`nt do it !!! I bought 2!!!

Let me start by sayin I know nuttin `bout these rifles except what I`ve gleaned rite here . I looked at the muzzle neither seemed to be worn from the cleanin rod & theres good deep grooves left in the barrel .

I did stumble onto the safety if ya wanna call it that :-| leaves a bit to be desired but hey these rifles probably were never put on safety anyways!!

Each rifle came with a bayonet , tool set & ammo pouches, sling,& a lube can?? the pic has all the acc. out that came with 1 rifle .$111.00 each.

How`d I do ????

Plannin on tryin my lee 150 gr. boolits , they come out the ,310 sizer at .3105 for starters , with 9.5grs. of 700x.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/MosinNagant2resized.jpg

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/MosinNagantToolsresized.jpg

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/MosinNagantresized.jpg

rhbrink
04-05-2010, 09:42 AM
OH boy! Have fun just started shooting one myself. Mine was a basket case, someone cut the stock down and let the barrel rust up pretty bad in the muzzle end, but it was free. After cleaning up and checking headspace which was OK gunsmith recomended to cut the barrel down to good rifling which I did got some brass and bullets loaded up some stuff and shot a 1/2" 10 shot group at 50 yards, couldn't believe it! These things will shoot, but you need to slug your barrel to see what you are dealing with, mine measures .306 bore .314 groove at the breech, rifling looks great just way big muzzle is a little tighter. There is a group buy going on down below that you might want to take a look at.
Richard
MISSOURIANS for MOSINS

Muddy Creek Sam
04-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Looks interesting, Don't forget to bring one with you when you come down later this week.

Sam :D

Phat Man Mike
04-07-2010, 07:31 PM
:cbpour::redneck:I've loaded some for my girlfriends 91/30 .. wow are they fun to shoot! she's hooked now and want's a M-38... she already has a 91/30 and a M-44 [smilie=l:

Pirate69
04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
They really are a lot of fun to show. I have not shot any cast in mine but I have shot surplus ball ammo. The light ball has some recoil but the heavy ball is stiff.

GP100man
04-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Where do you fellers get ya brass from ???
& are the lee dies ok ???

Rcbs has a 2 die set which is all I need to shoot cast with .

Buckshot
04-08-2010, 02:02 AM
& are the lee dies ok ???

Rcbs has a 2 die set which is all I need to shoot cast with .

...............I got my brass from several places over the years with NNY (privi-partisan) being the first. Then Graf (which is also Privi) a couple years ago. I have 2 sets of Lee dies. One set bored out to size for, and seat .315" boolits and the other set left alone. You're going to need a Lyman M die I'll bet for cast.

..............Buckshot

Shepherd2
04-08-2010, 07:42 AM
The 91/30s are my favorite Mosin Nagant. I've got a round receiver and a hex. Every once in a while I get the urge to buy another. Usually when I see a nice hex receiver model. Be sure to slug your barrels. I've got 6 Mosins and none have the same diameter although a couple are close.

I got my brass from Grafs and I use Lee dies too. I haven't looked lately but the supply of brass was kind of spotty at one time. There is newly manufactured ammo available if you can't find empty brass right away plus surplus ammo is easy to find. If you use surplus just remember that it will be corrosive and you'll have to clean your rifles accordingly.

rhbrink
04-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I recently bought brass from Buffalo Arms.com. Don't know about Lee but I did buy a set of RCBS dies and they come with two expanders which is OK for jacket stuff but still isn"t large enough for cast. As soon as I get some more brass fireformed I'm going to give paper patch a try.

MISSOURIANS for MOSINS

Three44s
04-10-2010, 01:00 AM
My two 91/30's are amazingly accurate with just the original iron sights.

But my personal favorite for a handy 'ole beater ............

........ THE M38!!

Lighter than a M44 and more purdy!

Kicks harder though!!!

Three 44s

rhbrink
04-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Couldn't agree more it truly does amaze me how well they can shoot. As soon as I can get a suitable boolit my shortened 91/30 will be my favorite beater.

MISSOURIANS for MOSINS

WILCO
04-10-2010, 09:33 AM
are the lee dies ok ???

I've got the 7.62x54R LEE Dies and they work good enough for me.

WILCO
04-10-2010, 09:38 AM

I found some Winchester 7.62x54R Primed brass at a gun show some time back.
50/bag for $20.00. Can't find it from the on-line suppliers though......

WILCO
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Plannin on tryin my lee 150 gr. boolits....

I'm working with the LEE C312-185-R sized to .314. Lots of folks here have gotten good results with it and 13 grains of Red Dot.

milsurp mike
04-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Be careful with buying them Mosin Nagants,They carry a disease called Mosinitus.I have a Chronic case of it.If you catch it you can wind up like me.The only cure is More Mosins.I have got it so bad that I have wound up with 5 to 6 dozen of them and Its only getting worse.I have found temporary relief buying some of the Finnish models that leave you a little short in the wallet to the point where you cant buy nothing.I usually get relief until my wallet gets a little heavy then it strikes again.I'm giving you fair warning.

I have luck using the Lee 312-185 also.Be safe out there mike

Phat Man Mike
04-10-2010, 10:52 AM
the problem with Mosinitus is that is spreads easy! are whole area has that demise :groner:

roverboy
04-10-2010, 04:10 PM
GP100man are both of your Mosins round recievers? I couldn't really tell in the pics. Fine looking rifles by the way.

dualsport
04-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Everybody probably knows this, but you can swap the expander plug from a .303 or 7.65 Arg. Lee die to use in the Lee 7.62x54R dies. It opens up the neck a bit more and helps when seating cast boolits. Also chamfering the inside of the neck helps prevent shaving lead when seating.

Digger
04-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Okay GP100man .. , you and the others here got me going again darnit !!... chompin at the bit .
I have got some closet queens that I have Ignored for too long , but will get to this summer hope fully .

One is a 91/30 ..Hex reciever but a really cobbled piece , with the machine marks across the surface.
Must have been put out of the factory real fast because the German's were pretty close to town at that time. (think they even made a movie about that moment in time. )
the other is a nice , matching numbers I think, model 59...sweet little gun and both will Knock you on your .....
if your not holding on tight with those surplus loads.
By the way , do all russians have short arms or is it just me ? , man those stocks are short !
The third is a all matching numbers tula arsenal SKS , another fun shooter.
All that I look forward to reloading and casting for here down the road as I am still working on my hand gun loading for right now....those darn Mihec molds are so addicting !!
Sometime will have to start chasing brass and looking for molds for these toys ...mean while all the info here is invaluable .
Sorry to dribble on ....maybe take some pics someday...:cbpour:

digger

GP100man
04-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Digger

I know what ya mean ,one is finished as good as any modern firearm the other is ruff as a cob !!

I`ll keep an eye on the forums for brass but think I`ll get a box or 2 of the WW offering to get started !!

roverboy

both are round recievers 1 made in `42 the other made in `43. There was a rectangled 1 but a fellow found it first & I relinqushed claims on it , it was nicely finished & had all the "good" armors markings !! made in `34
At least mine the bolt numbers match & the muzzles look round !!!

Still scrubbin!!!

6.5 mike
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm using the 185 lee in a remington hex reciever & the lee 160 tl in a 1943 russki with good results. Both with 16 grs of 2400. And I know what you mean about short armed russians, feel like I'm shooting one of those little kids 22's. These are really fun to shoot tho.

doubs43
04-11-2010, 06:35 PM
By the way , do all russians have short arms or is it just me ? , man those stocks are short ! digger

The stocks may have a shorter length of pull than other military rifles because of the thick layers of clothes worn by Russian soldiers in cold weather.

My 91/30's and 91 seem OK to me so maybe you have longer arms than most or I have shorter arms than most. [smilie=l:

WILCO
04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Everybody probably knows this, but you can swap the expander plug from a .303 or 7.65 Arg. Lee die to use in the Lee 7.62x54R dies. It opens up the neck a bit more and helps when seating cast boolits. Also chamfering the inside of the neck helps prevent shaving lead when seating.

And then there is the LEE Universal Case Expanding Die: http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=lee+universal+case+expanding+die&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=FVLCS-zvNoP78AaPqtH-Bg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CB0QrQQwAg

I have one and it works great!

roverboy
04-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Digger

I know what ya mean ,one is finished as good as any modern firearm the other is ruff as a cob !!

I`ll keep an eye on the forums for brass but think I`ll get a box or 2 of the WW offering to get started !!

roverboy

both are round recievers 1 made in `42 the other made in `43. There was a rectangled 1 but a fellow found it first & I relinqushed claims on it , it was nicely finished & had all the "good" armors markings !! made in `34
At least mine the bolt numbers match & the muzzles look round !!!

Still scrubbin!!!The hex recievers are sometimes better built. Meaning that most were built when a war was not going on. No real rush.

JesterGrin_1
04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Are the Mosin Nagants any good? Sorry I know nothing about them.

roverboy
04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Mosins are a little rough around the edges but good solid rifles.

Ivantherussian03
04-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Mosinitus-----yeap, one set of dies and cartridges will work with three rifles.

It is a dream come true [smilie=b: or is it?

Have fun...enjoy your new toys :smile: