PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Lyman 45 and lube heaters

Elkins45
04-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Two questions:

1) Are the mounting hole patterns the same on the Lyman 45 as on the 450 or 4500? I'm thinking about getting an add-on lube heater but don't know if it will fit my old 45.

2) I've read that people say the 45 is unsuitable for heated lubes because it leaks from the base. Do you think cutting out a footprint from gasket material for it would seal up the bottom enough to prevent that?

TIA for any help.

cheese1566
04-05-2010, 09:08 AM
1) No, they are not the same hole pattern...unsure if the Lyman plate heater will fit. I made my own.

http://cheese1566gunsandstuff.shutterfly.com/130

2) Yes, they can be heated- they leak out the bottom just like brother 450. Mkae a gasket, ,lots of opinions here on what works. I used Form-a-gasket #1 on mine to seal to the alum blocks for my cartridge heaters.

Elkins45
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
1) No, they are not the same hole pattern...unsure if the Lyman plate heater will fit. I made my own.

2) Yes, they can be heated- they leak out the bottom just like brother 450. Mkae a gasket, ,lots of opinions here on what works. I used Form-a-gasket #1 on mine to seal to the alum blocks for my cartridge heaters.

You made your own heater blocks? What did you use for the element?

Rock
04-06-2010, 12:59 AM
I can confirm that the mount holes do not line up. :(

calaloo
04-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Elkins45
Buy the rod heater for the 4500 and make an aluminum block that fits between the sizer and the mounting surface. Drill a hole in the edge of the block for the heater. Make the block large enough so the set screw that holds the heater is not covered by the base of the sizer. I wish I had done it that way although it hasn't been an issue yet.

cheese1566
04-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Elkins45
Buy the rod heater for the 4500 and make an aluminum block that fits between the sizer and the mounting surface. Drill a hole in the edge of the block for the heater. Make the block large enough so the set screw that holds the heater is not covered by the base of the sizer. I wish I had done it that way although it hasn't been an issue yet.

Yep, exactly what I did.

littlejack
04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Good information fellas. Does the cord come with the rod heater, or does one have to order it separate? Thanks for the information.
Jack

montana_charlie
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Two questions:

1) Are the mounting hole patterns the same on the Lyman 45 as on the 450 or 4500? I'm thinking about getting an add-on lube heater but don't know if it will fit my old 45.
The hole patters are different, but you can drill holes for the #45 and tap them.
CM

Hardcast416taylor
04-06-2010, 06:09 PM

Must be something wrong with my 2 Lyman 450`s I have on Lyman and Midway heaters - they don`t leak.Robert

hunter64
04-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Elkins45

I did the same thing only went one step farther. I took a 1" hole saw bit and after finding where the bottom gasket thing is on the 450, I recessed about 30 thou in the piece of aluminum block so it matches up. I drilled and tapped 5 screws to secure the aluminum base to the bottom of the 450 and put a 1" O-Ring in the groove to prevent leaks. It heats up great and I have yet to have a leak out of the bottom of the luber.

DLCTEX
04-10-2010, 10:37 PM
My Lyman 45 doesn't not leak out the bottom and I don't see how it could. I think it is made different than the 4500 from the description I've heard/ read of the leaks with them. The base is a one piece casting and the barrel of the reservior screws into that.