PDA

View Full Version : Lee classic cast turret

hiram
04-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I've been playing with the press and started setting it up to load 30-30. The four dies are sizer, powder charging, expanding, bullet seater. There is no room for a facory crimp die, no fifth die station so I would have to use the roll crimp in the bullet seating die. The powder charging die is in effect, a straight tube. There is no expander like on pistol charging dies.

How would you handle the problem if cases had to be expanded and you wanted to use a crimp die?

docone31
04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
The charging die, and expander die are in one.
You only have three dies there. You will not need the FCD unless you bypass the crimp die.
You gonna load fast for sure.
The bullet seating die, will shrink the case before crimping. I have found that to be enough.

Frozone
04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
The charging die, and expander die are in one.

As long as it's a LEE, you unscrew and remove the top part of the expander die.
It's a part about 3/4" long and has Hex flats, then replace that part with the screw in the powder measure just like as you would with the charging die.

<edit>
jvg5576, You're correct. Even the 3 die sets only use 2 dies at any given time

hiram, are you confusing the neck resizing die with an expander die??
</edit>

jvg5576
04-05-2010, 12:39 AM
If using Lee dies, the 30-30 sets don't have a charging/belling die like their pistol die sets. Sounds like he's using the Lee "rifle" charging die (does not expand or bell) with an auto dispenser.

I would recommend sizing and/or priming or maybe the FCD as a separate step. I've only loaded pistol ammo with the Classic Cast Turret so far, but I load some rifle calibers on a Dillon 550B with a similar setup as the OP except I size separately.

Also, I'm almost positive that the Lee 30-30 seating die does not crimp at all.

Has anybody tried to modify the Lee rifle charging die to expand also?

hiram
04-05-2010, 01:14 AM
(The charging die, and expander die are in one.
You only have three dies there. You will not need the FCD unless you bypass the crimp die.
You gonna load fast for sure.
The bullet seating die, will shrink the case before crimping. I have found that to be enough. )

Docone--The rifle charging die does not expand the case mouth.

Frozone
04-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Docone--The rifle charging die does not expand the case mouth.

The resizer Should expand the neck I just checked LEE's part catalog and they have an expander that is part of the decapper rod just like many die sets.
I just check my LEE rifle sets and they all have the expander in the full length resizer die. The Collet dies have a straight rod in them.

If you have a (modern) LEE Deluxe Rifle 3 die set, then one of the dies is a Collet neck sizing die and one is a full length resizer. You don't use Both at the same time.
The collet is only used for fire formed brass.
The decapper rod should look like this:
http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/2163.jpg
That is the expander.

Pystis
04-05-2010, 03:22 AM
Sometimes you need to expand the neck to have a correct neck tension. For example a LEE 7,62X54R full length die expands the case only to about .307 and that is way too small for .314 boolits.
You need to either buy a .311 expander rod or use an expander die like Lyman M-die.
When I use my turret press I resize (and trim) all the cases I'm going to load. Then I just simply use expanding or flaring die in first stage in stead of the resizing die.

dragonrider
04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
I believe Hiram means to "bell the case mouth" correct??? If so he is correct and the rifle powder charging die will not do it. The solution is to make a tube that will operate the powder measure and bell the case mouth.

MT Gianni
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Deprime size and reprime all brass seperately when thay come from the tumbler. Then set up and load primed brass, fill, seat and crimp in one operation.

burfurd
04-05-2010, 11:24 AM
hiram....I have noticed on other threads that you do some machine work. I would take a pistol neck expanding plug and machine one that has a taper to expand the neck of the 30-30 case that I am assuming you are going to load cast boolits in.

burfurd

hiram
04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
The expander rod in the sizing die expands the neck (and mouth) to saami specs. This is useful for seating jacketed bullets. This rod does not bell the case mouth to avoid lead being shaved from a cast bullet.

I am currently working on a mouth expander for the rifle charging die. First attempt sent me back to the drawing board.

I think it would be to Lee's advantage to offer expanders for rifle cartridges like they do for handgun. 30-30. 32 Win Spl. 30-06, 308, and a few others.

Frozone
04-05-2010, 02:02 PM
This rod does not bell the case mouth to avoid lead being shaved from a cast bullet.

I take care of that with chamfer. It doesn't take that much to prevent the shaving.

skeet1
04-05-2010, 10:07 PM
I own a Lee Classic Cast Turret press and load .30-06 and .303 British on it. I use the Lee Collet die to size then the Lee Rifle Charging die backed way off because it is made for smaller rifle cartridges. On top of the rifle charging die I use the Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure and the double disk kit. Next I use the Lee Universal Expander to flair the case mouth and in the last station I seat and crimp. So far this has worked out very well using shotgun powders like Red Dot, Unique and some rifle powers like H322 and H335. Hope this helps.

Skeet1

Firebricker
04-05-2010, 11:20 PM
What about taking a .30 carbine die and opening up the die body to allow the 30-30 case to go in far enough to make it work. FB

44fanatic
04-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I think it would be to Lee's advantage to offer expanders for rifle cartridges like they do for handgun. 30-30. 32 Win Spl. 30-06, 308, and a few others.

Especially the 30Carbine.

Firebricker
04-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I think I might have a solution. Take the flaring piece out of .30 carbine die take the piece out of the universal rifle charge die and switch them. The .30 carbine piece is not long enough so you would have to cut the right length from the rifle charging piece and use it for a spacer. I just tried this except I used something solid for the spacer and it belled 30-30 case just fine. FB

Dale53
04-06-2010, 12:25 AM
I don't load for the 30/30. However, I have used Lee die sets extensively loading 40/65 and 45/70.

I had a custom expander made for my Lee die (it is not threaded so is easy to make on a lathe). The book, "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine" by Pat and Spence Wolf has a drawing of a custom expander for the 45/70. Using that same idea, but changing the dimensions gave me a perfect expander for my 40/65. You can easily do the same thing with the 30/30. I consider that a perfect solution.

Cast bullets require a proper expander whether rifle or pistol. The alternative is to get a Lyman "M" die. If you need to crimp, then do it as a separate step. You could run it through a single stage press or you could have a separate turret set up with just the crimp die on it.

FWIW
Dale53

hiram
04-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Firebricker--Interesting idea........the wheels are turning..

Dan Cash
04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Sell your stuff and start over. If you want expansion, get a Lyman M die.

glicerin
04-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Lyman has a powder thru expander die(with multiple expanders-mostly pistol). The 32 acp expander is for .311 bullets, but could be reduced slightly for use with .308-.310 bullets. The lyman is a two step expander, works much better than lee for me.

prs
04-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I use the "M" dies for 30-30 and 32SPCL. I do NOT use the FCD and set the seating die to roll the case mouth into the crimp grooge enough to prevent the boolits from backing into the case in level rifle.

prs