PDA

View Full Version : 45Long Colt

mag_01
07-11-2006, 07:22 PM
[smilie=1: ---Looking for info---Have a single action Colt replica I believe an (1873) model in 45 long colt---If I use pistol powder like herco---- gun will shoot a foot or so low at 7 O'Clock (fixed sites)---Question anyone have a load for this that will shoot point of aim?????-------------Did test with black powder and pistol shot point of aim as gun was designed for any help is appreciated---thxs. Mag_01--:castmine:

ebner glocken
07-11-2006, 07:38 PM
With some more info I may be able tohelp you. What weight of bullet and what charge of what powder?

Johnch
07-11-2006, 08:05 PM
If I remember right .
To raise POI at close range , use a heavyier bullet at a slower velosity . (but not candy ass loads )
This will allow the bullet to spend more time in the barrel while the gun is recoiling .

Johnch

Dale53
07-11-2006, 09:00 PM
My personal "plan of attack' with fixed sighted revolvers is to first determine what load I want to shoot in the revolver (what use will I put it to...). Then, when the load is working well as far as group size is concerned, I then "regulate" the sights for THAT load. THAT load is what I shoot.

In a field piece, there is a lot to be said for properly regulated fixed sights. Particularly, fixed sights like my Ruger Bisley Vaquero .45 Colt that give a good sight picture. Mine is regulated to point of aim at 25 yards with 250 gr bullets with smokeless or black.

Dale53

RayinNH
07-11-2006, 09:03 PM
mag_01, light boolits shoot low heavier boolits shoot higher. So you probably will need to change to a heavier weight. If you have more than one boolit design try another to see if it shoots to the same place. The other options would be change your aim point or better yet settle on a boolit weight and load and file the front sight down to suit...Ray

felix
07-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Ray, no, don't suggest any modifications on a collector's gun! (1873?) Best to keep changing powder speeds and amount of powder, keeping the same boolit. Try Clays, 700X, BE, RD, GD, etc., all circa 5 grains or so. ... felix

RayinNH
07-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Felix, he said it was a replica of an 1873 Colt. I'd never suggest altering an original. But thanks for mentioning it in case someone else missed the point...Ray

calaverasslim
07-12-2006, 07:07 AM
As far as regulating loads, powder & bullets, I agree. BUT, IMHO, please don't "regulate" the sights. In our fraternity, guns, we buy and sell quite often. Generally the seller fails to mention he has regulated the front sight. He filed and forgot. The new owner has a problem and gets a little peeved when he discoveres the front sight has been filed.

Learn to adjust your sight picture, moderate your loads, use different weight bullets & powders until you find one that fits your needs. Don't adjust your gun to the bullet, do the opposite. [smilie=1:

Just my 2 cents worth

mag_01
07-12-2006, 09:40 AM
------------Thanks Gentlemen for all good ans.----but perhaps I did not get my question across. I'm looking for a pistol powder load that duplicates the performance of black as gun was designed for (IE) rate of twist etc.--As far as height I can adjust front blade height in sight picture that would leave me center at 9 o'clock about 10 inches from center. I have used Kentucky windage aiming about a foot out at 1 o'clock to dump rounds in center---bullet weight is 255---Lee SWC. anyone who has shoot SAA (1873) 45 long colt has experienced the 1 foot out at 7 with pistol powder---and this would vary with load bullet weight ect.

----------40 grs. of black put boolit in center of target (255swc)---pistol powder????

thxs. Mag_01

felix
07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Trial and error only, Mag. I had the same problem with my Hammerlii imports, and one gun shoots 50 feet with the 185 Lyman with 6 grains of 700X, RP pistol primer. Any change, the POI is off by a large margin. The other gun shoots the same at 50 yards with an old powder called GreyB at 6.8 grains, using the 200 Lyman. Both Lymans are the most popular target ACP boolits. It took 6 months to find these loads, but that was my challenge, though. Fun for me at the time. I squirrelled away several pounds of these two powders and primers and WW lead to make the boolits (and the same Rem cases). Haven't messed with any of this stuff in 20 years, except one day I shot both guns with new ammo. Everything was the same as I remembered it. ... felix

Bucks Owin
07-12-2006, 01:11 PM
mag_01, light boolits shoot low heavier boolits shoot higher. So you probably will need to change to a heavier weight. If you have more than one boolit design try another to see if it shoots to the same place. The other options would be change your aim point or better yet settle on a boolit weight and load and file the front sight down to suit...Ray

Seems backwards but it's true and is a result of "barrel time" and recoil and not external ballistics....

Dennis

robertbank
07-12-2006, 01:14 PM
I shot these over my Chrony F1. For control purposes I have listed the Win Cowboy factory load.

Win Factory Avg Vel 696 Standard Dev. 8

5.5 Gr. Win 231 Avg Vel 672 Standard Dev. 21 Starline Brass, Primers Fed., Bullets 250 Gr RNFP, OAL 1.58

6.3 Gr. Titegroup Avg Vel 835 Standard Dev. 9 Starline Brass, Primers CCI, Bullet 260 Gr FP, OAL 1.665

7.1 Gr. Win 231 Avg. Vel 786 Standard Dev. 9, Starline Brass, Primers Win, Bullet 260 Gr. FP, OAL 1.665

8.5 Gr. Unique Avg Vel. 984, Standard Dev. 11, Starline Brass, Primers Fed, Bullet 260 Gr. FP, OAL 1.665

All bullets cast from wheel weights and sized .452.

8.5 Gr Unique was pretty stiff load and for me was at the top end of being comfortable to shoot .

All loads were accurate when I did my part. I have the Beretta Stampede clone with a 4 3/4" barrel.

Take Care

Bob

RayinNH
07-12-2006, 06:19 PM
mag_01, okay now we understand what your after. I would suggest you chronograph the 40 grain black powder load to get velocity and then duplicate as close as possible with smokeless. In the July 2006 issue of "Guns"magazine, Mike Venturino writes about black powder pistol cartridges. He mentions that a .45 Colt, 250 gr. boolit and 40 grs. black powder will sail out of a 7 1/2" tube at a 1000 fps. If you duplicate the velocity from your pistol, I would think you would be close to what you're after...Ray

robertbank
07-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Do not try to get to +1,000 fps with modern smokeless powders using 250 gr bullets. You will be over the maximum for most powders. My highest velocity achieved out of my 4 2/3 gun just reached 1,004 fps using 8,5 gr Unique and averaged just under which is quite close to the Black Powder load spoken about by Venturino. Load is quite stiff. Black Powder operates at much lower pressures to achieve same velocities. To develop higher velocities with the .45LC I would get a Ruger Blackhawk - much stronger pistol. The SAA design is a fun design but anything but strong and you want to keep your digits all attached. 9 gr Unique is max load listed in Lyman's Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook 2nd Edition.

Others who have shot the SAA may have different opinions regarding loading up the gun. Me I am a cautious type. I went to the 8.5 gr load when I carry for bear protection.

Take Care

Bob