PDA

View Full Version : How to polish a sticky revolver chamber?

wellfedirishman
04-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I have a 500 S&W revolver where one chamber is quite sticky when trying to extract shot brass. The loads I am using a pretty mild, so it is not due to overpressure.

All other chambers let the brass just drop out when the cylinder is rotated.

How do you polish the inside of the cylinder?
Do you apply polishing compound to a chamber brush and polish the heck out of it?
What polishing compound do you use?
I have read some people use sandpaper and a dowel. How effective is this?

Thanks for any advice.

pistolman44
04-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I hope you get an answere to this problem. I have a Dan Wesson 744 mag that has 2 cylinders that do the same thing. It a real pain shooting a lot of rounds at the range.

dubber123
04-04-2010, 04:58 PM
If it were me, I'd take a case, tap the end for a 1/4-20 or some such bolt, coat it with a fine abrasive, and spin it in and out with a drill. I needed to open the neck portion of a RCBS 30-30 seat die, and used this method. It worked great. The case acts as a guide, and keeps things centered. Good luck.

wellfedirishman
04-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I found the answer to my own question:
http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/18750-polishing-chambers.html

machinisttx
04-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I found the answer to my own question:
http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/18750-polishing-chambers.html

I'd use the flex hone method on that page...but that's what I was going to recommend anyway.

Multigunner
04-06-2010, 12:24 AM
I polished out a constriction at the rear of a deringers chamber years ago, the chamber was jugged from having hot .357 mag ammo fired in it. It was manufactured as a .357 and had a massive frame that seems to have been strong enough, but the barrel steel wasn't up to snuff.

I used 1000 grit silicone carbide paper glued to a soft wood dowel and turned by hand, checking the progress every few turns.
The deringer was okay with .38 special loads after that.

jameslovesjammie
04-07-2010, 02:35 PM
On my .357, I took a .40 cal bore mop and chucked it in the drill. Then I coated it with Mothers Aluminum polish and ran it in each cylinder for a few seconds.

Extraction wasn't bad before, but is fantastic now. They just slide out, even after shooting alot of Unique.

rkrcpa
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
On my .357, I took a .40 cal bore mop and chucked it in the drill. Then I coated it with Mothers Aluminum polish and ran it in each cylinder for a few seconds.

Extraction wasn't bad before, but is fantastic now. They just slide out, even after shooting alot of Unique.

+1 on that except that I use JB bore cleaning compound.