PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning swage lube from boolits??

buck1
04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I have been useing the lanolin based lube to swage. Whats the best way to clean it off ? tumbleing sort of gummed the boolits up.

blaser.306
04-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I've been useing "hot" water and a little dish soap . Agitate well then rinse , The heat from the water helps to dry the bullets faster ! YMMV

BT Sniper
04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
A quick soak in mineral spirts works great. Then a quick tumble in a big towel and left to air dry. Best method I have found so far. Do not tumble the bullets around to much as they will ding up each other. Also do not try to swage a bullet that has any left over mineral spirts residue on it as it counter acts the lube and makes ejecting the bullet difficult.

buck1
04-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys!!!

Radio Flyer
04-05-2010, 01:43 AM
I have been useing the lanolin based lube to swage. Whats the best way to clean it off ? tumbleing sort of gummed the boolits up.

I use the inexpensive 90 (plus) percent Isopropyl alcohol as is does a good job and I can use it in the house basement (the wife hates the other chemical smells).

I use a plastic bowl and drop them in a small wire basket and swish...

I let the alcohol sit with a lid to prevent too much evaporation and the oils sink to the bottom, and I can pour off the alcohol.

sargenv
04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Um, I don't bother.. I just load em and shoot em like they are.. the Lanolin makes my hands feel softer ;)

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I wipe off excess lube with a clean towel.
the thin residue left on the bullet can't be a bad thing ? right ?
I haven't seen any shooting issue yet.
I've shot about 100 or so 40s
Jon

DukeInFlorida
04-05-2010, 12:12 PM
The ones that I have shot so far were AS-LUBED....

I figured the lube would help avoid any issues of the harder (than copper) brass on the lands and grooves of my gun.

sargenv
04-06-2010, 06:09 PM
I've pushed the ones I've loaded to 1150 ish fps.. seems Longshot ran out of gas.. ie, I add powder, the bullets do not get any faster.. and no pressure signs..

I have not had time to do any more load developement.. but man they flatten out the brass like a flower and I have no idea where the lead goes... (when shooting steel targets, pepper poppers to be specific).

michiganvet
06-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Leaving the lanolin on is only a problem if you want to bond the cores to the jackets. If not clean, the cores will only partially bond.