PDA

View Full Version : Need Canadian help on Marstar

MtGun44
04-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Any of you Canadians out there know if Marstar is still in business and how
to get in touch with them if they are? We have a gentleman from Holland with
a broken rear tangent (I think) sight on an Inglis HP. They list the "military sight"
but he needs to verify that it is the correct one. Apparently he dropped it
and the sight is beyond repair. Since they made these pistols in Canada during
WW2, it seems reasonable that the 'military sight' from a Canadian perspective
is probably the tangent sight, which, I believe is what the guy is calling his
"adjustable sight".

Any help? Maybe somebody knows who to call or e-mail to a different address
to get an answer. He has e-mailed them, but no response. I know international
e-mail sometimes goes wrong, too. I think that this Marstar has been in business
for a while (I have seen the name around before) but I have never dealt with them
before, personally.

The original thread is "adjustable sight on Inglis HP35" by member "cast367" in
the Cast Boolits section here. I would imagine that doing this in a foreign
language (English) half way around the world is pretty difficult.

Thanks.

Bill

3006guns
04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
I just did a quick Google search (marstar canada) and the site came right up.

Customer service email: service@marstar.ca

Sales: sales@marstar.ca

MtGun44
04-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks - but as I said - he has already e-mailed them without response.
I need somebody that knows another way to contact these people.

I have sent an e-mail myself, maybe one from the USA will get thru
easier. Some e-mail providers do a lot of filtering to keep out spam and
this may be blocking his from getting there.

The Double D
04-04-2010, 01:55 PM
That's typical Marstar. They are very unbusiness like and very difficult to work with outside of the Canada.

They also have a very distinct anti American attitude..be ready for it and accept it if they are the only place you can find what you need.

Here is there contact info http://www.marstar.ca/main/contact-info.shtm

Here is there shipping info.

http://www.marstar.ca/main/order-firearms.shtm

Red River Rick
04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
That's typical Marstar. They are very unbusiness like and very difficult to work with outside of the Canada.

They also have a very distinct anti American attitude..be ready for it and accept it if they are the only place you can find what you need.

It works both ways....................now you know the feeling!

MtGun44:

If you need help obtaining the part, and if Marstar will not ship to the US, I'd be glad to help out. Send me a PM.

RRR

quasi
04-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Marstar hardly has an anti-American attitude. They are virtually the sole source of all the parts kits that have came into the U.S. over the last 20 years. AK-47, FN-FAL, CETME-G3, ... all came from Marstar. The Yugo 59/66 ALL came from Marstar, Mitchells Mausers are from Marstar.

They are about to ship about 60,000 SKS's to U.S. Distributors. Marstar cannot deal with retail U.S. customers because of U.S laws not because they do not want to.

pressonregardless
04-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Maybe call or fax them?

Contacting Marstar by Phone

Important: our sales and service representatives can only answer the phone during office hours.

Toll-Free: 888-744-0066 (for calls from within Canada and the United States)

Local: 613-678-3173 (for calls from outside Canada and the United States)

Fax: 613-678-2359 (fax messages may be sent at any time of day)

The Double D
04-04-2010, 10:20 PM
My contact with Marsters has always been one on one direct. And the anti American sentiment came from direct personal contact on the telephone and via email.

One that comes to mind was in 2002 trying to pay for parts with my VISA card and being told on the phone they don't accept anything but Canadian VISA cards--and being told "You Americans don't run the world you know." They told me they would accept a U.S. Postal money and confirmed it with a email.

That was a new policy as they had always accepted my card in the past. I had placed many an order before with Marsters and was an established customer. Most transactions were cordial prior to this. But that was the last.

I sent the money order off with a copy of the email and they sent it back to me saying "Canadian cash only accepted from US orders, Canada is not a U.S. Colony" Didn't matter that they said in their Email that they would accept the "green" U.S. Postal money orders.

This was also about the same time the people who owned Marsters were being investigated and charged by the RCMP and U.S. Customs for smuggling gun parts across the border. As I recall from the reports in the papers, they paid large civil penalties for technical paperwork violations.

Marster has done business across the border for a lot of years and U.S. law doesn't and didn't stop them. They are well aware of law and know how to use it.

I don't care how accommodating they are in getting arms into the U.S., there motivation is money, big money and nothing else.

Red River Rick
04-05-2010, 12:07 AM
my contact with marsters has always been one on one direct. And the anti american sentiment came from direct personal contact on the telephone and via email.

"If that was the case, and you had proof, I would have sent the info to senior management or called and asked to speak with them. Did you do that?"

one that comes to mind was in 2002 trying to pay for parts with my visa card and being told on the phone they don't accept anything but canadian visa cards--and being told "you americans don't run the world you know." they told me they would accept a u.s. Postal money and confirmed it with a email.

"I've had the same thing told to me by us companies as well "Sorry, we don't accept foreign credit cards, nor will we ship to Canada".

that was a new policy as they had always accepted my card in the past. I had placed many an order before with marsters and was an established customer. Most transactions were cordial prior to this. But that was the last.

I sent the money order off with a copy of the email and they sent it back to me saying "canadian cash only accepted from us orders, canada is not a u.s. Colony" didn't matter that they said in their email that they would accept the "green" u.s. Postal money orders.

"If you sent them a "Green" coloured US Postal M/O, did you read what is printed on there? It clearly states "NOT Negotiable outside the US or it's territories". No wonder they wouldn't accept it.

This was also about the same time the people who owned marsters were being investigated and charged by the rcmp and u.s. Customs for smuggling gun parts across the border. As i recall from the reports in the papers, they paid large civil penalties for technical paperwork violations.

"No doubt, they may have been having some import/export problems, and I doubt they were intentionally doing "Illegal Activity"..........but they are still in business."

Marster has done business across the border for a lot of years and u.s. Law doesn't and didn't stop them. They are well aware of law and know how to use it.

I don't care how accommodating they are in getting arms into the u.s., there motivation is money, big money and nothing else.

"And what else is a company in business for............to make profits............not to subsidize the customers with their wants and needs."

That's too bad you experienced a sour deal with them, I don't think it was the company itself, but rather the employee your were dealing with.

I would have taken the matter up with someone with some authority. And explained that this is no way to treat any customer, period, where ever they reside.

FWIW.
:drinks:

RRR

S.R.Custom
04-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Maybe call or fax them?

Contacting Marstar by Phone

Important: our sales and service representatives can only answer the phone during office hours.

Toll-Free: 888-744-0066 (for calls from within Canada and the United States)

That was precisely what I did a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for a magazine for a customer's gun. The gentleman I talked to was very professional and helpful.

Despite the popularity email and texting has with the kids, the business world still operates primarily via the telephone, particularly when it comes to making initial contact. Given the proliferation of spam (and the programs that filter it), email is a very unreliable way to contact someone if they aren't expecting it.

The Double D
04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
If you offer a mailing address as contact method and people write you letters for service, then you better answer those letters.

If you offer a telephone number as a contact method and people call you, you better answer the phone.

If you offer an email address as a contact method and people send you email you better respond to that email.

It's called customer service and smart modern businesses use all three. Smart business do not offer a contact service and ignore it.

The Double D
04-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I must correct something I said in my earlier post that is incorrect.

Here's what I said:

I sent the money order off with a copy of the email and they sent it back to me saying "Canadian cash only accepted from US orders, Canada is not a U.S. Colony" Didn't matter that they said in their Email that they would accept the "green" U.S. Postal money orders.

I found an old post made when the incident actually occurred.

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/forum/quotereply/id/24893?page=1
(12/17/02 15:29:55)

Double D wrote:You may not be missing the sling swivel from the trigger guard and then you may. Those sort of things it appears from the rifles I looked at, were up to the customers discretion. The Westly Richards I have here in my lap has a buttstock swivel. The trigger guard has a hole for a swivel, but careful examination of the trigger guard shows no evidence of a swivel ever being there.

The George Gibbs and the 303 Westley Richards have trigger guard swivels.

For your missing parts you can try several different places.

Drop these folks an email and enquire about what they have.

G. Baron Reproductions (http://www.gbaronreproductions.50megs.com/index.html)

Peter Dyson (http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/)

Marstar (http://www.marstar.ca/index.htm)

JEMTREK (http://winsoft.net.au/%7Ejemtrek/index.html?http%3a%2f%2fwinsoft.net.au%2f%7Ejemtre k%2fwelcome2.htm)

I have not done business with G. Baron. I have heard good reports about them.

I have done business with Peter Dyson. Excellent service and quick turnaround. A little more expensive, but I can live with that.

If you are American I will warn you about Marstar. They at times have a decidely anti-american attitude. On the other hand if they have what you need and you can work past the attitude, they do give prompt service. They do not accept all the credit cards they say they do unless the card is from a Canadian Bank. They will send you refunds for the amount due but the check will be drawable in Canadian funds on a Canadian bank that can not be processed by the U.S. Federal reserve. And, Canadian dollars do not trade at par with U.S. dollars. If they do this to you, they will be sarcastically apologetic, and send a correct check after you return theirs. It cost me bank charges to find this out and Marster wouldn't stand for these charges. Even if Marstars tells you that they will accept U.S. Money orders for payment, make darn sure you send them an international money order. If you send them a domestic money order from the Post office they will return that money order with a nasty "post it note' pointing out that they are not a U.S. colony.

I have communicated with JEMTRK several times. They haven't had the parts I needed. There responses were always warm, friendly and prompt.

Value$ Haven't got a clue. I know what I paid for mine. I paid what asking price was. I bought these rifles in South Africa. What I paid for the three is equal to the value of one in the U.S. Different values in different Markets. As far as yours goes, who knows. It's all relative to what the market will bear.

I can tell you in the two or three year since I have became interested in these rifle the values have raised substantially.

Again when you grow tired of yours let me know, we can talk.

DD

My apologies for my earlier misleading post.

johnone
04-05-2010, 11:27 AM
THE DOUBLE D;
I would appreciate the opportunity to reply point by point to your post....

"If you are American I will warn you about Marstar"
Lets procede and have a look at your warning ....

" They at times have a decidely anti-american attitude."
I don't know how you arrived this most ridiculous conclusion, Marstar counts 1000s of satisfied American clients in our files, why would we have an anti American attitude when we have sold millions of dollars of firearms and munitions into the US ? Would that not be counter-productive ??

"They do not accept all the credit cards they say they do unless the card is from a Canadian Bank"
What complete BS, a quick visit to our site will show that we accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express....

"They will send you refunds for the amount due but the check will be drawable in Canadian funds on a Canadian bank "
It gets better and better, have you considered wrting some fiction novels ?? You seeme to have the imagination for it??
First of all if you purchase at Marstar with a credit card, which over 95% of our customers do, and at a later date require a refund, it is posted directy to your credit card account, in the currency of purchase....
In the event you used a money order or bank transfer we will issue a check drawn on our US dollar account for the convenience of our US customers....

"Even if Marstars tells you that they will accept U.S. Money orders for payment, make darn sure you send them an international money order. If you send them a domestic money order from the Post office they will return that money order with a nasty "post it note' pointing out that they are not a U.S. colony."
This in NOT our policy, if one takes a moment to read the domestic money order as issued by the US Postal Service it make very clear that the money order in question CANNOT be negotiated outside the USA.
As for your mention of a nasty post it note, may I ask you to show us a copy ??

Since you have chosen to malign our firm in a public forum I would appreciate your being able to substantiate and support your claims made here....I think all members are entitled to a complete story

John

BruceB
04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Well, I have no documentation to support my tale of my first (and last) dealing with Marstar. That doesn't change what happened, and I frankly don't care whether I'm believed or not...but I think I do have some credibility on this Board.

I called Marstar to see if they could help with the legal disposition of a full-auto machine gun which I could NOT import to the USA.

After a long telephone conversation, I was told to e-mail a detailed account of the events leading to the problem I had. They would review it and get back to me. I spent at least good hour composing the e-mail, because it was a complicated situation. It was sent off along with my contact info.... nada, zip, zilch. No call, no e-mail.

I called again, and was told they'd "look into it" and get back to me (again). No contact by phone or e-mail.

At that point I gave up on Marstar. The gun was subsequently destroyed by police. This was not a minor matter, and resulted in the loss of a considerable amount of money. Both Marstar and I could have profited from the transaction, but they ignored it. I will not bother them again.

Red River Rick
04-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Johnone:

Welcome!

I'm assuming, by your post, that you are an employee of MarStar? If so, I'm glad your here in their defense.

Bruce B:
When you wanted to sell your full-auto, was MarStar the only bona-fide full-auto "Dealer/Collector" in Canada?

There probably was other dealer/collectors that may have been interested, did you try any of those?

I know it was a total waste having the firearm destroyed and you taking the loss, but there was alternative buyers.

And yes, you do have respect and credability here.:grin:

:drinks:

RRR

frank505
04-05-2010, 01:31 PM
How about the Lee Enfields in 308 now being made in vietnam? I would like the short one for an everyday rifle. Is anyone in the US going to import some? Please!!!!

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I have no doggie in the fight, don't ever even remember hearing of Marstar . . . before now.

But on a trip to Europe in 98 Switzerland would take Mastercard, but not Visa . . . or was it the other way around, . . . and another country Austria or Italy was the reverse, one but not the other . . .

In 02 I was in Korea, the store had a sign in the window "American Express" So I tried to use my AE card, no, had to be from a Korean bank!

Different places, different times, different policies . . .

johnone
04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
RED RIVER RICK;
In fact I own Marstar and it is always unpleasant to hear a negative experience from a customer....

We pride ourselves on having the best warranty policy on the net and stand behind every product we sell....

Had I been made aware of any such alledged conduct by an employee I would have acted immediately, NOT tolerated at Marstar.

People have questions or complaints send me a note john@marstar.ca

John

johnone
04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
BRUCE B;
If you care to drop me a note off board please do so....

I can't see us refusing a deal.... By chance is this the machine gun that was seized by the police at the time, or am I confused here ??
John

Red River Rick
04-05-2010, 03:04 PM
John:

That's even better.............straight from the horse's mouth.

I bought a Pedersoli S 795-459 from your company almost 2 years ago, over the phone. The employee was well mannered and polite, the service was excellent. Five days later, my gun arrived. What more can one ask for!

Again, welcome to the site!

Rick Kalynuik
KAL Tool & Die

johnone
04-05-2010, 03:06 PM
DOUBLE D;
"This was also about the same time the people who owned marsters were being investigated and charged by the rcmp and u.s. Customs for smuggling gun parts across the border. As i recall from the reports in the papers, they paid large civil penalties for technical paperwork violations"

You certainly have a way of getting your facts incorrectly.... May I suggest you research your facts properly BEFORE making rash statements....

If you are discussing our legal battle with Canada Customs/RCMP that was back in 1995 and is well documented on the web.... WE WERE NEVER investigated by US Customs.... Or any other foreign customs for that matter....

AT NO TIME were we ever charged with smuggling anything, to any country.... PLEASE verify the facts....

WHEN did we pay large civil penalties ?? FOR WHAT ?? To Whom ??

YES we had a long (2years) court battle, it cost us a lot of money, ALL criminal charges were dropped because of the lack of evidence....
We were found not guilty of all Customs charges....

Do you really think we would have enjoyed the support of the NFA in Canada and the NRA in the US had we been guilty as charged ??

I would respecfully suggest you read up on a subject before pronouncing yourself....

John

The Double D
04-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks John for joining us. Read again my post, you will see that I am referring to an incident that occurred prior to 2002. Did you forget?

You/your company were given proof, 8 years ago when the incident occurred. I sent You/your company copies of employee emails with payment instructions telling me how to pay, since you wouldn't take American Bank VISA cards at the time; copies of The International Postal Money Order sent as per the instructions in those emails; copies of the letter saying parts no longer in stock for the parts I had ordered and copies of Canadian funds refund check that You/your company sent to me and I had previously returned (You/your company deposited the international Money order); copies of the letter from my bank with the bank fees for You/your company Canadian Funds check that was returned. You/your company did send a me check drawn in US Funds and a copy of that was sent to You/your company. You/your company asked me to send those things to you, and I did. Copies of everything were sent to You/your company 8 years ago in the mail and you didn't even have the courtesy to respond. I never heard a thing back from you.

At one time you very clearly had posted on your website no VISA cards out side of Canada. That's what created the problems.

And your troubles with Canada Customs and RCMP were fully published in the Montreal paper. That's were I read them. I was working and living in Montreal at the time. You say your lawyers were able to make those problems go away, am glad for you. Just as you do not remember our correspondence in 2002, maybe I am mis-remembering the news articles...I don't think so.

If you have changed your policies since then, that is a good thing, because they weren't good before.

Prior to that incident, I had done other business with You/your company buying Martini parts. I had no complaints about those transactions, but I didn't come away with a warm and fuzzy feeling either.

I can only finish by saying when that transaction was completed I did not feel like a satisfied client/customer, but simply a source of revenue.

grages
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
What I would like to see is if johnone can help MTGun44 the original poster with his problem. That would get this thread back on topic, fulfill johnone's claim of providing good service, and help out a fellow cast boolit member.

The Double D
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
What I would like to see is if johnone can help MTGun44 the original poster with his problem. That would get this thread back on topic, fulfill johnone's claim of providing good service, and help out a fellow cast boolit member.

I agree!!!

johnone
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
MTGUN44;
If you require special parts, perhaps not listed on our site, send me an e mail....
john@marstar.ca

I will see that it goes to the right person....
John

johnone
04-05-2010, 07:28 PM
THE DOUBLE D;
"prior to 2002. Did you forget?"
Not a question of forgetting, but consider this, we handle 600-800 e mail per day, an average of 100-125 phone calls, faxes and an assortment of letters.... No I'm afraid I do not recall the incident....

"since you wouldn't take American Bank VISA cards at the time"
I'm afraid there is some confusion here, I do recall that back in the 1990s, because of numerous fraud attempts, a couple were successfull, we were not accepting any credit cards from out side North America since we were left holding the bag on fraudulent charges....

"Copies of everything were sent to You/your company 8 years ago in the mail and you didn't even have the courtesy to respond. I never heard a thing back from you."

I find this a little difficult to understand, if we had received said mail we would have replied, why did you not simply call, our toll free line is there for the customers to use it is FREE..?? Why wait over 8 years ??

"And your troubles with Canada Customs and RCMP"
I'm glad we cleared that up, you had everyone including US Customs involved earlier....According to you I/Marstar was charged by US Customs ?? Get real.... Please research, we have NEVER been charged with smuggling, NEVER....

In 2002 it would have been more than 4 years after everything was settled....
Yes please go back in the archives and read, it was covered by all the major papers in Canada, it was covered by both TV networks. It was covered in the US by CNN, and CBS....
there should be plenty of accurate info out there....WHile you are at it read the court reports....

I'm sorry if you did not come away "warm and fuzzy", as you say ,but is that any reason to malign us and misrepresent facts ??

It was a bad enough experience from the time of the raid in early 1995 to the final conclusion in late 1997 without having it brought up again, and inaccurately at that.
John

grages
04-05-2010, 07:59 PM
MtGun44, it all yours.

My job is done here. :-P

MTGUN44;
If you require special parts, perhaps not listed on our site, send me an e mail....
john@marstar.ca

I will see that it goes to the right person....
John

The Double D
04-05-2010, 08:54 PM
THE DOUBLE D;
"prior to 2002. Did you forget?"

"Copies of everything were sent to You/your company 8 years ago in the mail and you didn't even have the courtesy to respond. I never heard a thing back from you."

I find this a little difficult to understand, if we had received said mail we would have replied, why did you not simply call, our toll free line is there for the customers to use it is FREE..?? Why wait over 8 years ??

John

I did, that's how I got to the You or the person saying they were the owner. The person who said they were the owner, started the conversation just the way you have, "Didn't happen! Prove it!"

So I did! And never heard another word. I didn't wait eight years, I contact you/your company when it happened. Since you choose to not answer, I choose to share this story with others, and have many times for the past eight years.

I fairness, I did get my money back but it took a while.

enfield
04-05-2010, 09:44 PM
as a person in the customer service business. ( car dealer service department ) I'm used to hearing how many mistakes I make. it's funny how one person can be going out the door saying he will never come back while another calls you to thank you for the wonderful service ( did I change that much ? ) I've bought 4 new handguns and a used rifle and some parts from Marstar and all my dealings were great. Good Job Marstar and Johnone !

frykasj
04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
John,

No one appreciates your service more than me. You let me put a 1911 on hold for over a month while I got my funds together. I recieved it from across the country in less than a week, right to my door (unheard of in Rural Alberta)!

Your staff have always been polite and courteous, and overall a joy to deal with. (the 1911 is excellent BTW)

Are you getting in anymore M-14's? :-P

(JOKE! That was a joke!...)

saskgunowner101
04-05-2010, 11:48 PM
My dealings with Marstar have been smooth....now if only they had a job for a firearms tester in Sask I'd be set.;)

MtGun44
04-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks, guys.

I have sent John an e-mail explaining the particulars and Red River Rick (a Canadian)
has also offered to help our fellow shooter in Holland.

As an aside, anybody that happens to have a Inglis HiPower tangent sight assy just
laying around . . . . . . . . .

Thanks to everyone, take care and play nice. I have met several new friends on this
site in far away countries and it is nice to help out when I can. The Dutchman has
limited English and net skills, so I figured a bit of effort would make an older fellow
shooter's life a bit easier. Pass it on.

bronco
04-07-2010, 07:40 PM
my experiences with marstar have also been excellent

i suppose this is my first post i have been lurking and reading for awhile now...