PDA

View Full Version : 91/30 7.62x54

GP100man
04-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Went to a gun show today & saw em in a crate with a sign $109.00 & up !!!
Comes with a set of pouches & bayonet !!!

Found 1 at 109 & looked at the crown & the bore looked oval almost , a 149.00 1 looked to be unfired for all practical checks ???

Is this normal on these old rusky rifles ?????

Thinkin of gettin 1 & try out my new rifle boolits, big FUN or BIG HEADACHE????

damron g
04-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Cones with a set of pouches & bayonet !!!

Found 1 at 109 & looked at the crown & the bore looked oval almost , a 149.00 1 looked to be unfired for all practical checks ???

I just got my last two in same shape for $100 from a local dealer.One was an older 1931 octagaon reciever model.I have been very happy with how they are shooting.Didnt notice an oval loking bore on mine though.

George

GP100man
04-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Mrs. GP wants to go to the craft store (If they`re open??) tomorrow , may go back & get 1 , wish I had when I was there 90 miles 1 way.

The fist 1 I picked up had 1934 stamped on it , If they were side by side I mite have noticed the reciever but I did`nt .

If I go back I`ll look for it because it was old lookin & dented wood, everybody was movin it out of the way to see others.

Are the pouches cleanin kits ??

damron g
04-04-2010, 02:37 AM
[Are the pouches cleanin kits ??[/QUOTE]

Mine had a bolt disassembally tool and a two headed grease / bore cleaner container.The tool may do other things,but i havent had a need to use it.

Go buy one,if yours is like mine she'll spend $100 on scrapbook supplies and rubbers stamps so you'll wont have to feel guilty.

Look at the muzzles,some are pretty wallowed out from the cleaning rod (you will be able to tell)and a few counterbored to clean them up.The counterbored ones seem to be OK, but i'd pick one unaltered that you can see strong riflling out to the muzzle if i had my choice.Bring a 30 caliber bullet to stick in the bore to judge the wear.

George

Beekeeper
04-04-2010, 08:57 AM
The pouches are usually for carrying ammo.
There isn't much of a cleaning kit but try and get one if they are available as there is a tool in it that is almost a must have.
Looks like an odball screwdriver with notches on the side.The notches are for setting firing pin protrusion.

Jim

Jim Sheldon
04-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Comes with a set of pouches & bayonet !!!

91/30 I bought from Gander Mountain a year ago last November for $99.95 had a slightly oval muzzle and the stock finish looked crappy (old flaking shellac) but the metal looked good and it was the best of the 30 or so they had.so I brought it home. Other than the hogged out, oval shaped muzzle, the barrel slugged right at .3107". When I first shot it, it patterned like a shotgun at 100 yards so I took a chance and re-crowned the muzzle to a flat, recessed shape and the groups immediately tightened up to under 2" at 100.

I've since stripped and refinished the stock with boiled linseed oil, and since my old tired eyes don't work so well beyond 50 yards with irons, I spent twice as much as I originally paid for the rifle on a scope and mount. The results I got out of that old 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 were well worth it, especially after finding a couple of handloads it really likes.

I'm getting well under 1" groups now at 100 yards using Sierra .311 diameter 174 grain Match King BTHP's over 42.0 grains of Hodgdon Varget and almost the same results using Hornady .312 diameter 150 grain flat base spire point bullets over 43.5 grains of Alliant Reloader-15.

I recently started casting my own boolits and got a Lee C312-185-1R mold. Using the lee .311 size/lube die and .30 cal gaschecks, I made up a hundred .311 boolits tumble lubed with lee liquid alox (cut 50-50 with mineral spirits).

Only shot them at 50 yards so far, but got a nice .505" 5 shot group with them and 12.0 grains of Trail Boss out of that rifle.

Them old Russki battle rifles can be capable of some pretty amazing accuracy with a little clean-up and more often than not, they shoot good right out of the box.

Jim

wonderwolf
04-04-2010, 10:28 AM
They are a lot of fun, I usually recommend them to a new shooter who wants to get a centerfire rifle. I've gotten mine for $90 each or somewhere in there two of them are like new and the 3rd has a bit of a rough bore. You can't beat spending $100 on a rifle and $100 on 500 rounds of ammo. Its the best deal out there but the barrel is getting low and some of the ones coming in now are getting rough. Gotta take your time and pick out a good one. If the bbl looks dirty or just has grease in it don't be shy and ask the proprietor to run a patch through it to see what the bbl looks like....thats the part that can give you headaches.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/wonderwolf223/DSC01625.jpg

GP100man
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
damron g (George),

This is Mrs. GP1000man he emailed you a message about a 1934 rifle he saw at your location at the gun show in fayetteville, nc. Do you stil have it? I want him to go back and get it, I going to give him the money for and it's going to be his 25th anniverary presentm that's all he he could talk about when he got home . Please email me back ASAP so we can get ready and go there because it takes us about 90 minutes to get there!!!!!

Thak you so much!!

Mrs. GP100man

hcpookie
04-04-2010, 11:58 AM
"Yes" that deal is about normal right now - maybe even a tad bit higher :) All of these are factory refinished which is why they look so pretty.

Royal Tiger Imports (formerly IO) has the package deal with matching bayonet for about that price - typical prices just a few bucks less but it balances out with shipping and FFL fees.

As has been said there's a wide variation in fit and finish, and also bore sizes. All should work with factory loads, but some have larger bores so you should slug the barrel of the one you get and work up loads from there.