PDA

View Full Version : Range box

Beekeeper
04-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Does anyone have a plan of a range box they would share the plans for?
I would like to have something to carry all the junk as well as a small amount of cleaning gear.
Saw one that had a set of cradles for holding the weapon for cleaning and thought I might make one similar.
Knowing me it would wind up holding everything I own and even have a TV so that is why I am asking for some one elses design.

Jim

easy ed
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Here's what I use. Has trays and compartments for a whole lot of things, also makes a good seat.

Easy Ed

Stanley Consumer Storage 029025R 24 Gallon Mobile Chest

Mk42gunner
04-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Jim,

The whole bed of a pickup works for me.:kidding: And sometimes half of the cab.

Robert

Beekeeper
04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
The bed of the truck is what I use now. Just thought I might get a little better organozed is all but I must admit you have an excess of room that way.

Jim

lunicy
04-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Here's what I use. Has trays and compartments for a whole lot of things, also makes a good seat.

Easy Ed

Stanley Consumer Storage 029025R 24 Gallon Mobile Chest

I use the same exact box. That thing can get heavy in a hurry.

44fanatic
04-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Jim,

The whole bed of a pickup works for me.:kidding: And sometimes half of the cab.

Robert

That sounds like me...

Rifles/Pistols go in the back seat. Everything else (cleaning kit, earmuffs, eye pro, staple gun, pens, black powder acc., etc) are in tool boxes that get tossed in the bed. Takes 2 or 3 trips to get set up.

Those rolling totes look like a pretty good idea. Wonder how I can sneak one in w/o the wife knowing.

Dale53
04-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I have a suggestion - boxes contain a vacuum inside. Whether they are LARGE or SMALL they suck everything in sight into the box until it is full. The solution is to seriously limit the size. Keep everything as small and compact as possible. That way, you can pick up the box when you need to.

The suggestion to use a plastic box is good. I have more than one range box. Black powder is one (that one is in keeping with tradition and is made of wood) but the rest are plastic and are labeled (so I don't have to look inside to determine WHICH box). I have found that smaller, individual boxes work better for me. That way I am not carting around a bunch of stuff that I don't need.

YMMV
Dale53

Kraschenbirn
04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Mine's similar to Ed's...also made by Stanley...except it has a detachable toolbox on top of a wheeled base. Botton holds stuff like spotting scope, tripod, sandbags, Chrony, etc. and top holds, small tools, muffs, ammo, cleaning supplies. One of these days, I'll get around to fixing a piece of PVC tubing to the base for cleaning rods.

Bill

Cherokee
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
The rear luggage area of my 4x4 usually holds all my stuff.

Buckshot
04-05-2010, 11:46 PM
.............I use a plastic toolbox with a liftout tote tray. In the bottom is the spotting scope and tri-pod, a 500 rnd brick of 22LR and my Ruger MkII plus a little more room for like a 50 rnd box of 30-'06. In the tote tray resides my muffs, a set of gun friendly screwdrivers, a set of hex wrenches, 5" channel locks, needlenose pliers, a plastic packet of steel and brass punches, a 6oz brass hammer, box of staples, staple gun, oil can, and 4 tins that held #11 caps that now contain my various sight inserts. Since I don't clean my firearms at the range I don't need any cleaning equipment along.

...............Buckshot

WILCO
04-06-2010, 08:10 AM
I use the same exact box. That thing can get heavy in a hurry.

Me too! I love it! And yes, it can get heavy. That's why it has wheels and carry handles. Take only what you need at the range. Don't treat it like a woman's purse or satchel bag. I've sat on mine many times whilst watching the firing line with a good cigar. [smilie=s:

Southern Son
04-07-2010, 04:37 AM
I use one similar to Easy Ed, but made by Ryobi (Firestorm or something). It actually came with 3 tool boxes. I use the large one for rifles, the medium one has been kitted out to take my 686 and all the ammo and cleaning gear for a big match, and the small one carries a bunch of cleaning gear (Hoppes 9, patches, brushes, etc.). All of them for less than $100.00.

August
04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
My best shooting buddy now has an appropriated pick=up truck for shooting. Uses his Sunday go-to-meeting truck for everything else and uses the Ford Range Stomper for the range. We've got the steel targets in there, the 1000 yard target is in there, the target stands are in there....

You get the picture.

The Border Patrol and Federal Marshals who train at our range do the same thing... on a bigger scale.... on our dime....

RP
04-14-2010, 09:27 PM
I got a little red wagon added rifle racks to the sides ammo can on the back to hold ear protection tools or what ever. I put my ammo cans inside along with any pistols targets cooler and empty bucket for spent brass. Slapped a castboolit sticker on it and even a plate call it my war wagon roll it out of shop into back of truck out of truck on a ramp.

trk
04-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Does anyone have a plan of a range box they would share the plans for?
Jim

The FIRST thing to do is build a list of what you want to include. USE it. Update it. Then items on the list define the volume needed. How you use it influences what shape and options you need.

I use a range bag with several other small bags/toolkits/etc. inside. One for picked up and fired brass, cleaning kit, tool kit, bench rest stuff, target stuff. hearing and PPE stuff, and food/water.

wistlepig1
04-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Beekeeper, go to Kmart, they have a plastic "footlocker" for about $20. When I get mine full I can hardly get in the truck---- work great. hope that helps!
PS, pickup a hernia belt too.:bigsmyl2:

PatMarlin
04-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Someone here at CB sent me an idea for a range box, and I had been busy and lost track of the PM.

I wanted to make one that held a LEE press and powder measure, but never got around to it,. Drew up some ideas I think.

PatMarlin
04-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Here' s my old drawings. I'm amazed and confused I was able to find this.

Called it my "RangeTop Reloading Station". You could easily build one.

http://www.patmarlins.com/TableTopReloadingStation.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/TableTopReloadingStation2.jpg