PDA

View Full Version : Noise Level??

iamdrglass
04-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know of a study comparing the decibels emitted from handguns in different calibers, barrel length, and velocity? I would like to see a link with the data if possible.

Thanks
Dan

P.S. opinions are welcome as well but facts are bettor.:coffeecom

S.R.Custom
04-04-2010, 02:54 AM
I can't offer any figures in support, but I recall reading somewhere that a 9mm Parabellum or .38 special is as large a cartridge you want to fire (once) indoors w/o hearing protection and not expect to sustain some degree of permanent hearing damage.

Like I say, I have no citation, but it was a credible enough source that my go-to house gun ever since has been a Beretta 92.

Doc Highwall
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
The 22lr is 140 decibels, what makes you think it is not that loud is the short duration of the shot. Do a search about suppressors and you might find something.

fecmech
04-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Here you go!
http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

ole 5 hole group
04-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Can’t assist on the original question but I’ve been told and have read that any sound above 85 dB can cause permanent damage to the hair cells in the inner ear, which leads to hearing loss. Gunfire normally generates about 140 to 200 dB but I think the big magnums/big bores such as the 500 Smith may generate a lot more.

I was thinking & typing as fecmech posted the real deal.

mooman76
04-04-2010, 03:41 PM
I have no experience with the 500 but I think it's more with the velocity developed in pistols, partiularly short barreled. Rifles too of coarse but the muzzle is farther away from your ears. A 357 comes to mind. A fiend had one that would ring my ears with ear plugs in and I've never fired a 30 carbine pistol but hear they are one of the loudest.

DLCTEX
04-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Even the 22 LR will eventually damage your hearing. I recently tried my 480 Ruger without hearing protection to see if a shot at a deer presented itself while unprotected, would it be doable. No! I will pass on even a great buck before trying that again. Stupid idea. (it's a Tarus Raging Bull, ported)

mooman76
04-04-2010, 03:55 PM
This isn't exactly it but it is something.

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

iamdrglass
04-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Thank You all for taking the time to answer my post. That is the info I was looking for.
Why do you think the .357 is one of the louder ones?
Dan

MtGun44
04-07-2010, 12:37 AM
My guess is that higher pressure at the muzzle is the key ingredient in this equation.

The worst I have ever shot was a Ruger SecSix 2" SS .357 mag with heavy boolits and
slow powder (W296) at a max charge level. It was extremely unpleasant flash and boom,
bouncing off of our overhead sun/rain roof. I can't even imagine touching one off
indoors with ears unprotected in a self defense situation.

Slow powder so lots of pressure, heavy boolit to help the powder build pressure, very
short bbl to make sure to release the peak pressure to the air.

This is one reason why my ccw gun is a 45 acp. Low pressure round.

If you are not familiar with the decibel scale, it is a log scale NOT linear. Every increase
of 3 dB is a DOUBLING of the sound pressure level. So, the 157 dB .45 ACP compared
to the 164 dB .357 Mag means double it then double again, and then one dB more.

157 >> 160 is a doubling x2
160>> 163 is another doubling x2
163 > 164 is maybe 50% more or so. x1.5 roughly

so maybe about 6 times the sound pressure level.

Four Fingers of Death
04-07-2010, 08:18 AM
I must be a sook, I've yet to find the handgun I can shoot without ear protection. 222, 223s seem ok, hunting for one or two shots, but any bigger I need my ears. I have so much damage I do all my shooting with protection now.

The revolvers seem the worst as far as I can tell as the gap between the cylinder and barrel allow a lot of gas and flame, etc to vent out the sides.

Use hearing protection all the time, believe me it's no fun being an old fart with hearing loss, people immediately think you are stupid. I have read that people with hearing loss were amongst the most discriminated against of all people.

Crash_Corrigan
04-07-2010, 03:56 PM
By far the worst weapon for noise has got to be my 30 Carbine Ruger OM Black Hawk. Not only is is loud but you can roast a Turkey on the muzzle blast.

I took it out one evening and let go a cylinder in the deset. The flames went out at least 2 and half feet and lit up the desert floor. Must be that powder and small diamter boolit that causes all that fuss. This is one gun that requires both earplugs and muffs to shoot comfortably.

I once fired a 357 Magnum full house factory load inside a car. There was a knife fight going on. He brought a knife and I brought my Smith 586. It was a taxi cab. My taxi. The round penetrated both his legs in the mid thigh area, the passenger door of my taxi and the driver door of the parked car next to the taxi.

These were some 158 GR SoftPoint Half Jacketed Rounds and this one did not mushroom until it hit the Taxi door. If I had used a true hollowpointed round maybe the round would have stopped inside the BG and saved me a bunch of money.

I had to pay for both doors. What really sucked was that I spent the next 6 hours with the police and I still had to pay the lease on the taxi although I was not making any money. I had to pay for the damages etc and if I had not taken the fare from the unconscious body of the BG I would also have been out the taxi fare. Be assured I also took a decent tip. He went to jail with a detour by the hospital. I was pretty much deaf for about two days. This was the winter with the windows closed. My sinuses were never so free and clear as then and they stayed clear for about three weeks. My nose was always running and I could hardly hear.

I do not recommend this type of activity unless it is a life or death situation. It was.