PDA

View Full Version : Deprime/Rprime tool for older CIL 4B primers

shaune509
04-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I have some CIL [canadian] #4B shotshell primers without battery cups from the50's. My question is how were these deprimed and reprimed to use the battery cup in the shell? Have not seen any referance to this type of primer in any of my older reloading books much like the 2000 CCI #157 primers that my get some use if I reload some of the old shells in the footlocker after they get used in the shotgun.

Mk42gunner
04-03-2010, 11:53 PM
I think the primers were pried out, somewhat like berdan primers; then the mew primer was seated.

Do not take this as gospel, this is coming from the dim recesses of reading an article several years ago.

Robert

quasi
04-04-2010, 07:05 PM
In one of the early Handloaders Digest's, there is an article on "reloading" battery cups with primers. There are instructions and a drawing of a tool also. It might be the first or second edition.

shaune509
04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys, I think I have the 1st handloader digest someplace.

shaune509
04-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Checked Handloader digest #1 but no mention, did look thru the shotshell section in a Ideal #36 [1949] I got at the St. Maries gun show last month. It showed a bench shotshell priming tool that could be orderwed with the proper deprime punch and base plate. As a side note a now closed older gun shop near me that I always checked ther junk box had one of these tools with some missing parts that pribly went to scrap because no one could figger it out and it had no mfg marks. Also found in a reprint of an 1956 Alcan book that Speer[CCI]#100 primers with a spacer tube in the battery cup. This #100 primer looked like a std rifle primer, been lots of things tried over the years.
Agian thanks