PDA

View Full Version : did some smelting

duckndawg
04-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Howdy folks, I was doing some smelting today and had an uninvited guest show up! Was smelting some water service piping that has been in my garage since October of last year. Everything was fine until one piece bubbled a bit, then the tinsel fairy showed up. I'm here to tell you she is one UGLY fairy!!!! Made a hell of a mess, sooo I was trying to figure out how am I gonna dry this stuff a bit? If I put it in the wifes oven she would make the tinsel fairy look like Cindy Crawford. So I broke out the old charcoal grill and walla it worked like a charm. As long as you pay attention, did you know charcoal WILL get hot enough to melt lead on your grill? Trust me it will! Anyway got 492 lbs. of good soft lead melted and stacked neatly in the corner waiting its turn to become a projectile!!!!!

Blackhawk Convertable
04-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I've never had a visit from the tinsel Fairy. BUT!!!, I always put suspect melt material into the pot first (when first starting and everything is cold) and then subsequent melts are with what I know to be dry. Oh, doesn't hurt to sprinkle some sawdust into the melt just prior to adding the next batch of melt material also.

jsizemore
04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
After better then 5 months inside, you'd think it would be dry. Glad you came through without any serious damage.
You might try hanging it vertically in the attic? That might dry it out for free.

duckndawg
04-03-2010, 07:35 PM
thats kinda what I thought. hell been inside for months everything good to go. but no this is the first time the fairy reared her ugly head in my melts, hope to never see the old hag again!!