PDA

View Full Version : Long Heavy Bullets In The Hornet

StarMetal
04-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Swheeler,

I saw you're rather nasty post over on the Accurate forum about me shooting long heavy bullets out of my Hornet at 1000 yards into ragged hole groups. I'm happy you have such a high opinion of me. Fact is I can shoot those 72 grain NEI bullets up to 75 yards with no signs of tips. I haven't tried it further then that.....yet.

Why did you post that on this forum????

35remington
04-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Jeez, Joe, one thousand yards?

Musta been a typo......I'm sure you meant one hundred.

Just curious.....what's the twist on your Hornet? How long is the bullet? I've got a K and it's either 1-12 or 1-14, and for the life of me right now I can't remember which. Gotta get out the papers I sent to Bullberry to figure that out, and I don't know where they're at right now.

Sorry for any hijacking.....I'm always interested in results posted with the Hornet and K Hornet, whatever they are.

StarMetal
04-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Jeez, Joe, one thousand yards?

Musta been a typo......I'm sure you meant one hundred.

Just curious.....what's the twist on your Hornet? How long is the bullet? I've got a K and it's either 1-12 or 1-14, and for the life of me right now I can't remember which. Gotta get out the papers I sent to Bullberry to figure that out, and I don't know where they're at right now.

Sorry for any hijacking.....I'm always interested in results posted with the Hornet and K Hornet, whatever they are.

I'll have to measure that bullet again and probably will do that shortly because I have to perform a test with it. Felix was most certain my CZ Hornet had a 1-14 twist but it is 1-16 from what I can measure.

I was just fooling with the bullet one day and shot at my 35 yard target and it didn't keyhole. So then I shot it at 75 and it still was cutting round holes. Haven't shot it further then that yet, but may. I was just playing with it and had no intentions of using that as a regular bullet in my Hornet. I bought it for my 7 twist Colt HBAR.

35remington
04-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Like I said, I'm always interested in cast bullet data for the Hornet or K Hornet.

My own Contender K Hornet barrel will keyhole the M193 type FMJ bottails at 2000 fps, so I'm thinking it may be 1-14 but I may be surprised at what it actually is if I can find the gol durn paperwork. It handles the RCBS 55 down to pretty low velocities with no problem but I haven't found the threshold with that one yet as I was interested in somewhat higher speeds.

The Lyman 225415 (mine weighs 49-50 grains cast of mostly linotype) will start to keyhole in cold weather at about 1000-1025 fps.

StarMetal
04-03-2010, 03:10 PM

I have a 55 gr Loverin style from NEI and it has shot the best of any cast bullet I've tried in my CZ. I believe the load was 11-12 grains of H4198 and the velocity was up there, somewhere over 2000 fps easy. Was getting about 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. That bullet shot much better then the little Lyman 45 grain. In fact so much better I sold the Lyman mold to BABore.

Bret4207
04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Joe, you once told me I shouldn't drag fights from one site to another, and you were right.