PDA

View Full Version : Found another one!!!!!

saz
04-03-2010, 05:59 AM
It was my wife and I's fifth anniversary today, and as we had already celebrated last night we decided to take a drive and hit up a couple of places we had never been to and do a little shopping- one of which was a new shop that is carrying a ton of handloading and bullet casting gear. I picked up a couple of things and as I was at the counter my wife kept elbowing me saying, "what it that honey?" When I picked it up it was a stainless/synthetic white super 91 with the lyman peep sight made for white. It was dirty as all H#$L!!!! The guy behind the counter said that he got it as a part of a lot from an estate auction and he hadn't had a chance to clean it up yet. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $150! I couldnt help but give him the *** look- and his reply was "yes, I know what it is worth". Needless to say it was in my truck about 5 minutes later.

I got it home and tore it down, and it looked like it had been fired about 20 times and put up without ANY cleaning inside a humid gun safe. That is the first time I have seen rust on stainless. After the inital cleanup, it is in WONDERFUL condition! The bore is mirror bright, and most of the rust came off with a little CLP and a stiff toothbrush. I have all the little parts soaking in CLP to get rid of the rest of the rust and Ill finish up cleaning tomorrow and post some pics after I get it put back together. HAHA!!!! I NEVER FIND GOOD DEALS!!!!!!!:Fire::Fire:

Greg in Malad
04-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Those rifles sold for $600 in '93, if the rust cleans off it's a good buy. Doc White is selling misc. rifles and parts, it would be a good idea to get several nipples,and if your rifle has the older style nipple with thin walls it would be a VERY good idea to buy a new one.
I had four white rifles and they all shot great, the .41 whitetail would shoot 1 1/4" 100 yd groups with the Lyman peep, and my best was 5/8". Enjoy the new rifle, it's always nice to find a good deal.

DwarvenChef
04-04-2010, 06:54 AM
My wife tells me I'm not allowed to find good deals if I have the cash... Only when I don't have the cash... I think I know why I get in trouble when I have a stupid grin on my face :p

Bullshop
04-04-2010, 01:17 PM
A few years ago I started casting some pure lead conicals for and designed by a group of fellows known as "The Dirty White Boys", DWB's
They convinced me to buy a couple White rifles. I wanted to have something for testing boolit designs and really wanted to see for myself the accuracy I had been hearing about.
To put it in simple terms these rifles are capable of MOA accuracy with heavy pure lead boolits at up to about 1400 fps. They have also given me a much better understanding of just how well sub groove diameter boolits will shoot.
Thanks DWB's!!!
BIC/BS

Greg in Malad
04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Bullshop,
I had the same experience with my White rifles. Everytime somebody asks" do lead bullets really obturate?" I think of all the sub MOA groups that I shot, shake my head and roll my eyes.

saz
04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I have had very good luck with my remington genesis (1:28 twist) and 495gr no excuses conicals and I am hoping the white will like the same boolits. I just ordered 100 more. I took a big bull moose in the fall of 08 with that boolit, and WOW! If this thing shoots as good as my remington (which I am sure it will probably exceed it) I am going to be an extremely happy camper. Now I just have to get my wife out to decide which one she likes shooting.

And BTW, all of the rust and fouling came off and the bore is MIRROR BRIGHT! No pitting anywhere! I have to get around to posting some pics sometime. I'm really excited about this rifle. I have read about them for years, but never figured i would ever be able to afford one. Guess I was wrong!

Greg in Malad
04-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Saz.
I assume this is a .50 caliber super 91, if so it will wreck a grizzly. You might call Doc White and ask who made the superslug molds, the 600 grain bullet shot great and was my first choice. I'm happy to hear about the rust cleaning up.

saz
04-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Gregg,
It is a .50. It is amazing what a big lead conical will do to a critter. I took a 60" bull moose with my remington a couple of years ago with a 495gr slug at 110 yds and I still had full penetration all the way through and it stopped inside the oppisite BROKEN shoulder. I can only imagine what a 600gr would do. BTW how much and what type of powder are you pushing that boolit with? I am very partial to 777 myself but I do have some pyrodex and goex black on hand too.

Greg in Malad
04-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Saz,
I sold my last White Systems rifle 10 years ago, I enjoy traditional rifles more. I was using Pyrodex RS in all loads. In the .50 I was using 90-100 gr with the 600 gr bullet, and in the .41 I was using 70 gr with the 400 gr bullet, going above these weights resulted in very little velocity gains. I took 3 deer and an elk with the .41 and none took more than 3 steps. The only bullet I recovered hit a quartering away elk behind the last rib and stopped under the hide in the neck. I can't imagine what it would require to stop a 600 gr bullet, I never found a deer big enough to.

Underclocked
04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Great find, saz! Hope it's a real shooter.

Dan sells some great boolits for the Whites. Can't beat 'em.

The original molds were from NEI and I think they still have some of them in their catalog.

Underclocked
04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
ps: Rattus58 can hook you up with some breech plugs at the best price you'll find.

Bullshop
04-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the plug UC.
BIC/BS

PatMarlin
04-11-2010, 11:52 AM
You guys are getting me all excited with the stories- now where's the pics!!!! Booilts too.