PDA

View Full Version : How do you store sizer dies?

imashooter2
04-03-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm at the point where digging through a box to find the right diameter is a pain. What do you use for storage and organization?

How about a good source for dust tubes that fit reasonably close? Pill bottles are way too big.

leadman
04-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Go to a craft store and buy a divided plastic storage box. I have one that I can fit 2 dies in a section along with nose punches.

Bullshop
04-03-2010, 02:08 AM
I use an MTN 12 gauge range box. It has three stacking trays of 50. The dies are a good fit in the holes. I keep them arranged by caliber and progression of diameter in the same caliber. Really tough boxes that hold up well. I have been using the same one for about ten years and it has about 100 dies in it. I use a second one for the Lee type push through. Same deal, a good fit. That one is not as full, only about 50 or so in it.
BIC/BS

ozymandias
04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
My Lyman and RCBS (lubri)sizer dies fit nicely in plastic film cannisters. The diameters can be marked on the lid, and they in turn fit nicely in a cigar box.

Firebricker
04-08-2010, 03:47 PM
+1 on the divided plastic box. I bought two at acraft store one for sizer dies and one for gun cleaning. I print the sizing die dia on each drawer. On the gun cleaning I keep brushes & jags for each cal in drawers makes everthing easy to find. FB

Recluse
04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
My Lyman and RCBS (lubri)sizer dies fit nicely in plastic film cannisters. The diameters can be marked on the lid, and they in turn fit nicely in a cigar box.

+1 on the 35mm empty film canisters. I use the ones that Fuji film comes in since they are clear. A Dynamo label maker from Office Depot finishes it off (but we already had the label maker from a long time ago). I have a medium size three-drawer rubbermaid type of storage bin that I keep the sizing dies, gas checks, spare lubesizer parts, etc in.

My Lee dies stay in the original red containers, and I've marked their size with a thick black magic marker.

I'm fortunate in that storage and space are not a problem and I have plenty of shelving units in the shop.

:coffee:

Doc Highwall
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
I bought the Plano 2-3500 Utility Box, one for each caliber and use the small compartments to store the nose punch with a sample of the bullet that goes with it, especially if the top punch is modified. There is enough room to store three different sizing dies along with twelve top punches. Now when I am going to size say 30 caliber and there is a 45 caliber die and top punch I pull out the 45 caliber box and put the die and top punch away an install the 30 caliber die and top punch.

dragonrider
04-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I use pill bottles, holds a die and punch and a sample boolit.

mtnman31
04-08-2010, 05:57 PM
I do the same as Bullshop - I use a 25 round 12ga flip-top ammo box. Mine is clear and I made a label to put on the outside that corresponds to where/what is in the box. Works great and costs just a couple bucks.

As for top punches I just have them in an old cartridge tray (plastic type that come with factory ammo). They aren't really labeled, just sort of arranged according to approximate caliber, since some of them can be used for different bullet designs and calibers.

Case trimmer collets and pilots are in a divided plastic box with a metal insert I cut from a thin sheet of aluminum. The sheet has holes drilled in it to keep the pilots organized by size. I love divided boxes, they are so handy. I keep my 310 dies in them as well as all sorts of tools and supplies I use in the garage. Don't tell anyone, but I have a nice one that I keep sewing supplies in... sewing, not the most manly endeavor, but practical for someone who likes to do things for himself. I am currently on the prowl for some good plastic boxes to store molds in - particularly some of the larger molds(Lyman 4 Cav), SAECO molds, and GB molds (NOE & MP).

runfiverun
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
i use a clear box that would normally be used for fishing lures,
i use a larger version for neck sizers ,extra primer pins and assorted other little things.

Bob J
04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
One more 12 Ga ammo box user.... Dies fit nicely and are ordered from smallest to largest....

I keep all my top punches in an old plastic 22 ammo box.....

Patrick L
04-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Brownells sell those plastic tubes with end caps in a variety of sizes (diameters.) They come 18 inches long and you cut them to length. I use either the 7/8s (perfect fit!) or 1 inch size. They keep things dust free, and also keep from getting lube all over everything else.

Also, lots of things come packaged in these type of tube, and I always save the empties.

imashooter2
04-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the answers so far.

Puttering around looking for options I've come across coin collectors tubes. The small dollar size is not too bad a fit. A bit large on diameter, but length is OK.

The shot shell case sounds like a good organizer, but I'd like to keep them in dust tubes. I wonder if I can find something ten bore size? I'll have to go look at what Brownell's offers.

Freischütz
04-09-2010, 05:33 PM
The plastic tubes that bullet lube comes in work well. Use the tops off plastic pop bottles on the ends. Each tube will hold three dies.

Patrick L
04-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Those bullet lube tubes are exactly the same thing as what Brownell's sells. That's what I meant about many things you buy coming in those tubes, and to always save them.