PDA

View Full Version : Scoped and shot my F.A.357 today.

ihmsakiwi
04-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Well after shooting my F.A with open sights for three years or so and moving up to "International" IHMSA grade with it I thought it time to see just what it can do.
I bought a set of Leupold bases and rings and fitted my daughters NC Star 14" LER scope and took off to the range.
I first tried to shoot over a rest built into the bench, but groups were erratic and muzzle lift far more than usual as compared to the "creedmore" postion I usually shoot. I had a rifle shooter sighting in his .22 WMR or something similiar beside me but it turned out he was far more interested in my shooting. He spotted me through the "benchrest" groups and was I am sure thinking I was talking #$*@ as I was complaining that I was not happy with the groups.
I suggested I get down on the ground and shoot it "creedmore" which I could see he thought was going to be counter-productive and was something he said he had never seen. (sheltered up-bringing I suppose).
Well the first five shots were real pretty forming a nice tight group which my spotter was most impressed with, the second five shots, and feeling pretty pleased with myself left a little to be desired with me calling one shot high as the pistol slipped on my leg (top left) and another was a bit rushed as I was running out of my held breath.
I will keep the scope on for another series of tests out to 200 yards and will concentrate a bit harder next time. Group is'nt anything to write home about, but it does show promise, and is definitely capable of better if the nut behind the butt does his part.
My spotter suggested I might shoot better if I used "real" bullets!!
Load is 200 gr RCBS, 16.3gr AR2205 (H4227 equiv) Fed SR primer Starline brass.

Peter.

ihmsakiwi
05-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Well I finally got to shoot out to 200 metres yesterday with the scoped FA.
On paper i shot two five shot groups which were pretty disappointing and although not measured would have been at least 7".
Interesting thing is the group shape was similiar to the posted 100 metre group size. Three rounds within three inches and two higher shots opening out the group.
Best news though, I was shooting at the half size chickens at 200 metres and cleared one bank of five chickens with six shots!! Second bank later in the day was for bragging rights as when i returned from the 22 range, others were having trouble hitting the little half size targets with their XP100's. i suggested they use their revolvers and proceeded to get all five again, however, it took nine shots this time as i had added pressure with a bit of heckling going on.
To say I am pleased with this load and the 200gr RCBS bullet is an understatement. For those not aware of the size of the half size chicken target it is about 4" high by 5" long.
Peter