PDA

View Full Version : Foolin' with a 788

Jack Stanley
04-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I got some time to load a few rounds for the .223 that I was casting for a while back . After sorting the scraps out of the ever so small pile of bullets cast I saved them just to see how bad they would shoot .

This particular mold was a Lyman 225462 in the single cavity format and the alloy was lino/lead . After sorting , the bullets got a very light coat of Lee liquid alox so I could run them and a gas check through a Lee size die . Then they got lubed in the bottom ring using my RCBS lube-sizer .

I had tried a light load of Universal clays but stopped because the cases weren't sealing real well and I could feel gas blow back . Perhaps a eight grain charge would have done OK but I didn't want that much velocity

So , in trying to keep the velocity down I tried a three and a half grain charge of Bullseye and went up from there . I was using up the "scraps" just to see what I could expect the rifle to act like before using better bullets . My thought was if a load showed a little promise with these bullets I could try it with better castings and get better results .

I went up as high as four point eight grains of Bullseye and found that somewhere near four two or four five might work . So , I got out some "good" castings and tried them out at one inch squares at almost thirty yards . Four point five grains kept five shots on the square using the Williams peep sight and globe front my 788 wears , I was shooting this off sand bags . A scope might do better but right now I'm just sticking with using the one rifle and what it has on it .

The load particulars are Federal case trimmed and polished , CCI 400 primers , four point five grains Bullseye powder , over all length of loaded round 2.150" , Lyman mold number 225462 with gas check and Alox lube . Not much of a crimp , more like just removed the "bell" with the seating die .

I'm going to try using a Remington case and see what that does and soon I hope to load a ammo can full . It seems to be about the same performance of a twenty-two magnum but I haven't chronographed it to be sure . The bullet is much heavier so I really don't know what the energy figures would be .

Since I'm just starting to get my feet wet loading cast for the twenty-two centerfire , I am encouraged by what I see .

Jack

shotman
04-03-2010, 02:02 AM
I have loaded some for the 788 and same boolet I was useing 2400 but it was about 9gr I think and dirty will have to try the bullseye I bet its a lot cleaner

Jack Stanley
04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
The cases had just a light smudge on the neck , I tried the same load using a R-P case and I had to bump the charge up a tenth of a grain to clean it up . This afternoon , I filled a thirty caliber ammo can with four hundred seventy loaded rounds .

Jack