PDA

View Full Version : leading

semtav
04-02-2010, 09:22 PM
How much leading do you really get with black powder?

And How clean is too clean?

I wsn't getting any lead that I noticed in my 40-65 with Black Powder, but I was only driving the bullets around 1000 fps,
Now that I went to a 40-82, and I'm driving my bullets a little faster (1240 fps) I always get a little leading.

Nothing I can see, but if I run a couple patches of Hoppes 99 or Butches bore shine down the barrel, and then drive a couple real tight patches I always wind up with a little lead on the patch. Appears to be coming from the top of the land.

Nothing like the slivers of lead that I used to get in the 40-65 when I was trying to use too much smokeless powder, but its always there.

Do some people really never get leading when they shoot black powder and lead ( I'm using 30-1) even when shooting over 1250 fps or is it they just never pound tight enough patches thru to find out?

my barrel slugged about .4095, and I just got a .4105 mold from Steve Brooks

Thanks
Brian

RMulhern
04-02-2010, 11:31 PM
It's a moot issue shooting Paper Patch!!

Kenny Wasserburger
04-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Might want to try 20-1 most of us use it and no leading issues.

KW

Dale53
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
semtav;
I shot a 40/65 in BPCR matches for 15 years. That represented a LOT of shooting. I started out shooting duplex loads (10% smokeless) and that drove a 422 gr bullet (30/1) at 1350 fps. There was always a trace of lead (some minor amount of "flecks" when I cleaned). There was never any build up and nothing that I would call leading.

Then when we went NRA match rules and I had to learn to shoot straight black powder, pretty much the same thing occurred (at a bit lower velocity, of course). Again, nothing I would call leading.

I used Emmert's Home Mix lube (50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil all measurements by melted volume). I took care to NEVER overheat my lube by using a double boiler.

FWIW
Dale53

Kenny Wasserburger
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Dale makes and excellent point LUBE.

KW

semtav
04-03-2010, 12:44 AM
used SPG in the 40-65.

tried both SPG and NASA lube in the 40-82.

The only time I didn't find any lead, was when i tried my Paul Jones Creedmore @ .409 with some WW +2% tin that I had cast up. Might have to try that again, but i gave the mold away since it was undersize.

Lead Fred
04-03-2010, 01:08 AM
I shoot 405gr through a 45-70 at 1200fps with black, and 1700fps with smokeless.
I use the same lube, and have never seen a speck of leading anywhere.

The lube is listed here 50/40/10

missionary5155
04-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Good morning
I have not ownwed a 40-60 so I am limited to my 38īs, 44īs and 45īs.
Longest barrel I have in cartride is my .45 33" Bausky Barrel 18 inch twist on a Roler. When it was NEW Under 100 rounds it would lead some here and there. Then I ran a bunch of WW boolits lubed with metal polish through it. That took care of the leading. Also I have to use EXTRA hand applied lube around the nose and 1st band area to have enough lube.
My lube is a simple mix of Beeswax and Olive oil. About 55B and 45 Olive. It changes to about 50 and 50 for the hot summer.
There are always very small hard to see slivers of lead suspended in the lube residue and barrel. I shoot 10 round strings off crosssticks and see little if any accuracy difference at 200 yards from shot 1 to 10. My boolits are all .002 oversize and 30=1 mix. That bausky favors a 450 grain NEI with 67 grains of "2F. I do put a wheaties wad under the boolit. It shoots a 520 nicely but I maybe I shoot the 450 better. Run a tight patch after 10 rounds and there seems to be nothing left in the barrel. Barrel is long throated to accept longer boolits.
Are you sure you have enough lube... made of NATURAL God given material.
If it is a new barrel... run some metal polish on 10 .002 WW oversize boolits... maybe 10 more after shooting again. 8 grains Unique should be plenty of power in that skinny case.
And if all you have is WW they may shoot just as well IF they are .002 oversize. Back before I understood I should only shoot SOFT boolits in my Roller I shot alot of WW. I still use the nice range box I won at Freindship 20 years ago at a REGULATORS rifle shoot. And Oversize WW still shoots as well in that barrel with 67 g 2F.

NickSS
04-03-2010, 06:04 AM
ever since I started shooting straight black powder I see little or no leading as long as I use a blow tube. My rifles usually clean up with one or two wet patches and a dry one plus one for coating the bore with barricade from Birchwood Cassey. I have had some leading in the form of a few slivers with one of my rifles when it was new but after a few hundred rounds that went away. When shooting smokeless powder I do sometimes get a little leading which requires more effort to clean out but that is about all I see.

Dale53
04-03-2010, 10:50 AM
missionary5155;

OT:
I shot with the "Regulators" at Friendship, IN several years. That was a good bunch of GOOD shooters...

Dale53

Gunlaker
04-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Maybe it's the barrel? I haven't seen any leading in any of my BP rifles, including the .45-110 and .50-140 which push 'em reasonably hard. I do have a couple of "smokeless" rifles that will lead very easily, even with loads in the BP velocity range.

For lubes, I've been using a home made mix, and more recently, SPG. I sometimes blow tube and sometimes wipe, but fouling is very easy to manage here on the Wet Coast.

Chris.

semtav
04-08-2010, 12:06 AM
just a follow up.

Came across some Butches Bore Shine in Cabellas last week so I cleaned my gun with it when I got home. then I ran a patch of olive oil thru it. (hoping I could just shoot the olive oil out on my first sighter)
Want to try it and Ballistol as my short term barrel oil

Went out to the range today and sighted it in for the local gong shoot this weekend.

After putting 40 rounds thru it, using blow tube for fouling, I brought it home and checked for leading again. Very little on the first tight patch ( after I ran a couple swabs of Butches thru it) and that was all.

Had switched to 25-1 not long ago. So maybe this fall when I take this gun up again, I'll try 20-1 and see if it eliminates the last little bit.

thanks for all the advice
Brian