PDA

View Full Version : Lee powder measure / die

hiram
04-02-2010, 09:20 PM
In the picture is the Lee powder through die which screws onto the Lee powder measure. It works perfectly (it should) with the Lee insert.

I made another tube with a larger hole to prevent clogs in the drop tube which is in the die.

With the factory drop tube, the disk travels to the end of the platform to drop the powder into the die. With the drop tube I made, the disk doesn't travel all the way. The press handle comes to a stop.

What am I overlooking?

Frozone
04-02-2010, 09:45 PM
How deep does the hole on the new one go? You need a step in it to catch the powder tube and raise the measure. The step in the stock one is at ~ .430"
<edit> I just compared a stock sizer to the drop tube and the sizer hole is slightly larger in ID than the drop tube ID is.
In this case I don't see a reason for the new part, It's an answer looking for a question.
It might make a difference at .30 - I compared a .40</edit>

Bkid
04-02-2010, 11:13 PM
The only reason I can see powder getting cloged is due to oil in the die. The die needs to be oil free. I noticed this when I first got mine and cleaned the die out ,no more issues.

hiram
04-03-2010, 01:32 AM
The factory part has a cavity .428 deep. My part is .478 deep. Can .050" make a big difference in disk travel?

Frozone
04-03-2010, 04:30 AM
I wouldn't think so. But it's that step that lifts the measure and activates the bar.
Does the powder tube catch the step in yours or does it go through?

hiram
04-03-2010, 11:19 AM
The powder tube does catch the step.

Frozone
04-03-2010, 12:08 PM
The only 2 things I can see that have a bearing on this are the length of the larger portion of expander, and the depth to the step.
Either the expander isn't being lifted far enough or it is being stopped before it can rise far enough.
The top of the expander contacts the part of the measure that screws into the die and is a limit to the travel. When it makes contact determines how far the charge bar moves.
Without seeing your setup in operation, all I can suggest is to trim a little off the top of the expander until you get the charge bar to move the required amount.

You should be able to verify this is needed by holding the screw in part of the measure and sliding the expander onto the droptube by hand, checking how far the chargebar moves at full travel.

Doc Highwall
04-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Hiram, it is hard to tell from the picture but the finish appears to have some tool marks on the inside. I would take the extra time to get this as smooth as possible and inside radius as large as possible to promote a smooth flow with out hang ups and bridging of the powder.

hiram
04-03-2010, 01:37 PM
The tube I made slides freely and the inside hole where the powder finally drops through is larger than the factory tube to prevent powder bridging. That hole is smaller than 30 cal so the case mouth doesn't slip in.

I can't seem to post a pic of the bottom of the tubes.

hiram
04-03-2010, 01:57 PM
got it

Frozone
04-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I took some measurements - .050" Makes a fairly large difference in how far the charge bar will move on my measure! It will still drop the powder but it doesn't completely open. I recommend taking .060" off the top of the bushing. Can you post a pix looking into the other end?

hiram
04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
top of tube

Frozone
04-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Ok, I still say take .060" inch off the top.
.080" added to the top of the stock bushing, completely blocks the the bar from dropping.
.050" opens the hole but doesn't completely move over it.
It looks like that the distance between the top of the bushing and the step is important.

hiram
04-03-2010, 03:09 PM
You seem to be right. I made a ring from the head of a 30-06 case and dropped it in the top of the tube. VOILA!. It works. That's the same effect as shortening the top of the tube.

The inside depth to the stop appears to be critical.

Thanks.