PDA

View Full Version : ruger 41 mag.

redriverhunter
04-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I had a ruger 41 mag and it looked as though it had be left outside for about a year. It always shot high so I sent it to ruger and they were kind enough to send me a new for about 260.00 and some change worked out well. Now that i got the new one it still shoots high. I hate to admitt it but i cant control it its a new black hawk with a 6.5 inch barrel. I have been shooting lee Mold TL410-210-SWC with 16.00 gn of 2400.
can some one give some ideas on a reduced load or what to do to learn to controll this gun
i have unique, w231 and 2400
thanks

littlejack
04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
rrh:
I own and shoot the S&W .41 mag , 45 Colt saa clone and a Taurus PT1911 45 acp. I started with a Ruger BH back in 1968 when I was 19 years old. I am 60 now. I was taught the basics of handgun shooting by a friend of the family that had shot in compitition. As the years went by, I have become quite proficient with handguns, and have found a few things that really make a difference in my shooting.
To begin with, if one is unable to handle the firearm, either load it down or get another in a smaller caliber. Now, with that being said, thinks about this. Some of the reasons that some cannot control a handgun, is that they are trying too hard to control it. The firearm IS going to recoil in ones hands. Right? Now, do not try to STOP it from recoiling. LET it recoil. It will be a lot more comfortable on you and the gun will react the way it is supposed to. Does recoil hurt? Well, if you are a small woman or a man of small frame and frail, probably yes. If lighter loads do not help, you are using too big of a handgun. If it doesn't hurt, then you are probably sized to match the caliber or handgun. Second, does the recoil or the muzzle blast scare you. If it does, you will either have to get over it, or stop shooting a handgun. The bottom line is this.
If you can handle he recoil, if the blast doesn't hurt or scare you, if you can consentrate on the front site, and if you can squeeeeeeze the trigger you will do well. Wear ear protection.
Jack

Old_School
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, my experience is limited to two Old Model Ruger .41 Mags and they both shot high with nearly any load I put through them. On the last one I bought, I had a higher front sight installed, which solved my problem.

Bodydoc447
04-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Try that same boolit with 7 to 8 grains of Unique. You'll still know you got a hold of something but there is less snort than your listed load. Of course, you can go lower but always check your manual. You wouldn't want to get into squib territory.

Doc

spqrzilla
04-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I used to have a Redhawk and a Blackhawk in .41 Magnum. The Blackhawk shot well enough for me, but the Redhawk shot better in that caliber and had a longer cylinder that allowed me to use heavier/longer LBT boolits in it.

canyon-ghost
04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I just bought a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 41 Magnum, it shoots high. I bought some factory reloads, CMA 200 grain jacketed hollowpoints. It took an afternoon and 24 rounds to dial the rear sight down to 50 meters. It' still high if I'm only shooting 15 or 25 yards but, is terribly accurate to 50 or 100 meters. The TC Contender that I have shot (friend's) was close to the same, shot high unless you reached for a full 100 yards. That makes me wonder just how accurate the 41 Remington Magnum can be out to 200 meters.
Mine is a 6&1/2" barrel also, I like the feel and am working on getting the molds to do load development with 2400. There's a photo on Team Boolits under New Purchase I Made (not related to Louisianna).
Ron

Thumbcocker
04-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Reduced loads. I like to dry fire my Rugers a lot as well. Smooths up the action and gets me practice. I for one have always had problems with teh tradtional single action grip shape. All my Blackhawks have hogues on them . Grip shape is a very personal thing and i would try to feel other grip shapes before I changed anythinhg. Dry fire and reduced loads first. many peopel swear by the .41 mag as being very accurate.

On a couple of my Blackhawks I have had to have a gunsmith put taller front sights on. They mill off teh front sight and mill a slot in the base that will accept a Ruger pinned in front sight. Two of my .44's required a .45 colt sight. Kind of a pita but the result was worth it.

KevMT
04-06-2010, 12:55 AM
I had a ruger 41 mag and it looked as though it had be left outside for about a year. It always shot high so I sent it to ruger and they were kind enough to send me a new for about 260.00 and some change worked out well. Now that i got the new one it still shoots high. I hate to admitt it but i cant control it its a new black hawk with a 6.5 inch barrel. I have been shooting lee Mold TL410-210-SWC with 16.00 gn of 2400.
can some one give some ideas on a reduced load or what to do to learn to controll this gun
i have unique, w231 and 2400
thanks

7BR
I have the exact same setup and can't get a cylinder full through it with any accuracy. After a few shots with moderately stout loads my trigger pulls become convulsive. I tried Trailboss with either the 208 WC group buy or the LEE 240 GR for MUCH reduced loads and have been a happy camper. I can hit a clay bird or beer can at 25 yards with enough frequency to have a good time at the range when before I was simply frustrated with my inability to hit anything. Maybe with enough practice I will "graduate" back to magnum loads, but for now I can at least have fun with my gun. Hope this helps

Kev

Old Goat Keeper
04-06-2010, 01:05 AM
I had an OM Blackhawk in 41 mag with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. That gun was brutal to shoot! I traded it on a S & W 57 with an 8 3/8 inch barrel and never looked back. BTW, that 57 has the single best trigger I have ever fired!

Tom who KNOWS that 57 can shoot way better than he can hold it

Larry Gibson
04-06-2010, 11:56 AM
6 gr of Bullseye under the TL410-210-SWC makes for a very pleasenat shooting round in the .41. I've used it with that bullet or the old 410-195-SWC for many years in numerous Rugers and S&Ws.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
try 5-6 of the 231 or 7-8 of the unique.
i like 8 grs unique in mine they are far more accurate than the 16 of 2400.
i keep 16 2400 under the 210 xtp's.

Shooter6br
04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Traded my Dads 41mag Ruger 4 5/8 and a 6in For a S&W 657 with 6in barrel. Seems to fit me better I use Universal Clays 7.5 g with Lee TL 210 Nice all around load

TNsailorman
04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I have used a load of Unique at 7.2 grains with cast 210 grain to 220 grain SWC bullets for years now. I sometimes use magnum primers(maybe not really necessary) to try to get more complete burning of the powder. This is a really soft shooting load. Do not use the real hard bullets(hold BH to a maximum of 14) for such reduced loads as you might find that they lead in some revolvers at such reduced loads. It seems to vary from revolver to revolver. I am one of those people who believe that shooting cast bullets in a revolver smooths the bore and leads to less leading as the bore smooths up. I started out with one the first Blackhawks that Ruger made in .41 magnum, a 6 1/2" model if memory serves me right. I finally switched to a S&W Model 57 because I found out that all those years shooting a double action revolver with its shorter hammer fall had conditioned me to that action and I never really developed into a very good single action shooter. I have toyed with the idea of getting another .41 Blackhawk and giving it another try; but so far have not. My experience anyway. James

maddog2020
04-14-2010, 11:55 PM
I love my 41 mag, especially after getting some good inside info from felix, that and started casting, got two 8 lb containers of a hodgon surplus powder and think I getting this stuff down

Combat Diver
04-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Concur on 8 gr of Unique. My Smith M58 4" throws a 215gr LSWC cast at about 900 fps.

CD

45 2.1
04-20-2010, 07:12 AM
It' still high if I'm only shooting 15 or 25 yards but, is terribly accurate to 50 or 100 meters. The TC Contender that I have shot (friend's) was close to the same, shot high unless you reached for a full 100 yards. That makes me wonder just how accurate the 41 Remington Magnum can be out to 200 meters. With good loads, I believe you'll find it is quite accurate out past rifle range. BRP molds offers some very accurate mold designs. The 410426 is excellent.
Mine is a 6&1/2" barrel also, I like the feel and am working on getting the molds to do load development with 2400. Try some medium strength ductile alloy with WW 296.

maddog2020
04-20-2010, 09:23 AM
the 296 is what I am loading. 20 grains, LRP and good roll crimp