PDA

View Full Version : gas checks

happyhuntr
07-11-2006, 12:01 AM
hello guys

i have a few questions about gas checks

can they be crimped onto "store bought" cast bullets?

can they be crimped onto bevel base or flat based bullets?

or are they only put on bullets designed for gas checks?

happyhuntr

grumpy one
07-11-2006, 12:20 AM
hello guys

i have a few questions about gas checks

can they be crimped onto "store bought" cast bullets?

can they be crimped onto bevel base or flat based bullets?

or are they only put on bullets designed for gas checks?

happyhuntr

Gas checks can only be fitted to gas check bullets, which have a reduced-diameter parallel area at the base. The outside diameter of the gas check after it is fitted has to be just about the same as the outside diameter of the driving bands of the bullet.

Geoff

Bucks Owin
07-11-2006, 12:20 AM
The (lead) bullets need to be designed for GCs with a "step" on the base of the bullet for the GC to crimp onto as it gets sized....

Welcome!

Dennis

StarMetal
07-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Happy Hunter,

Those answers aren't exactly right. First there are bullets designed to take a gascheck, such as them mentioned. Now there is another system called Freechecks and they are put on bullets that weren't made for gaschecks. The system works in conjunction with your luber/sizer, mostly the RCBS/LYMAN style that is. The Freecheck is made from pop or beer cans, thus the name Freecheck. You sizer die in your luber/sizer has to be slightly modified (doesn't hurt it for regular sizing of bullets) and also the retaining nut for the die. 45 2.1 can give you alot more information on this. So to answer your question yes a Freecheck can be crimped onto a store bought plainbase bullet or a fresh newly cast plainbase bullet.

Joe

windwalker
07-11-2006, 10:55 AM
happyhuntr you can fit gaschecks to plain base bullet's and bevel base bullets it just takes a bit of no how. i fit gaschecks to my lee 500r bullet ,i use the lee champher tool to champher the base of the bullet .then gently tap the gascheck on with a small leather coverd mallet,then put it through the lee sizzer die.i get good accuracy with or with out a gas check with this bullet.see pic the one on the right has the gascheck.
bernie:-D
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/windwalker_au/100_4406.jpg