PDA

View Full Version : Minor Lee mold problem

rickomatic
04-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Just got a 9mm Mak 2 cavity from Lee and it throws really nice boolits. Haven't had a chance to load any up yet, but so far I'm pleased.
Had a slight problem though. One of the roller bearings/pins that hold the mold to the handle kept falling out. It looks like they're peened in, and I guess the peen was opening up with the heat and letting it fall out. Nothing major, just a slight PITA. Anyway, while I was walking to the shop to try to fix it, apparently it fell out in the yard, and it's gone gone gone. I'm not gonna send a mold back for something that minor, so I emailed Lee asking for the exact length and diameter so I could run one down locally, and even maybe keep a couple spares on hand. That was several days ago and no answer from Lee yet. Kind of surprises me as they're usually pretty good with customer care.
Do any of you guys know what size those handle pins are? I could relieve a peen in one of my other ones, take one out to measure, but if I can find out the size an easier way it would save me some hassle. Thanks.

rickomatic
04-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I'll be my own search engine nazi. I just looked and there were a post or two with my same problem. I didn't see any exact measurements for the pin though. If anyone knows the exact size of the roller bearing I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll "tinker" with different things til I find something that fits.

mooman76
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
If you give Lee a call they will probably send you a couple for free. 5/32" x 3/4". There has been som discutuion here on this. Sometimes Lee misses peening in those pins and they fall out. A quick check when you get a new mould takes care of that, even if we shouldn't have to.

Dale53
04-02-2010, 08:29 PM
A nice clean nail with the ends cut to proper length with a Dremel tool (or hack saw) will work fine for the pins. Just take the mould to the hardware store and get the right size. Then, peen them properly like they should have been when you got the mould.

FWIW
Dale53

sagacious
04-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Just peen it back in place, and it'll never come loose again.

Same subject and pin measurements were addressed in this thread:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=78322&highlight=peen

Best of luck. :drinks:

rickomatic
04-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Three cheers for Lee Precision. An envelope arrived in my mailbox today. Inside were 2 of the short pins, and 2 of the long pins.
This is one of the reasons I like Lee. They were under no obligation to send that stuff, but they did.
Thanks Lee!!