PDA

View Full Version : My dad trashed Grandpa's .22

Patrick L
04-02-2010, 09:01 AM
I love my Dad dearly, but sometimes I really wonder about him.

One of the guns in the house when I was a kid was my Grandpa's (on my mother's side) old Mossberg .22 single shot. This was the Grandfather I never really knew, as he passed away when I was 5. I never heard talk of him being any kind of major shooter or hunter, but he had this old gun. Just a plain, vanilla type .22. When I moved out in 1991, it was where I left it, in the corner of my bedroom closet, clean and oiled. I forgot about it in the natural progression of career, marriage, fatherhood, and life in general etc.

Fast forward to the present. My 15 year old son likes shooting and hunting. I've had him out with most of my rifles and shotguns, and this year got him into the Junior Smallbore program at my club. All of a sudden I remember the old .22. I think my son would enjoy shooting the old gun, so I inquire to my Dad as to if it is still there.

Well, it seems that there was a rabbit eating the lettuce plants in the garden, so he took it out to try to get him. He then left the gun out in the garage/shop. ABOUT 8 -10 YEARS AGO (he can't remember exactly.) What is it about this generation of people born in the Depression, that if something gets in their gardens, they act like an enemy army is invading and declare all out war on it? I mean a rabbit eating a dollar and a half worth of lettuce causes them to totally loose their minds? You may deduce that this isn't the first time he's done this, and you would be correct. But in the past it always involved assorted BB or pellet guns, which I suppose I can understand a cavalier attitude about their care. (He ruined my first Red Ryder, if you must know.) But a real gun? Not to mention we live in the middle of the suburbs, where discharging a firearm will get you a quick audience will the law enforcement types. Bear in mind, my Dad is not some ignorant clodhopper. We're talking about an educated man who raised a family, owned and operated a very successful business, and has been a respected member of the community for all of his life. Aside from this one thing, I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for him. He really is the best Dad ever! But this!?

Anyhow, I found it, standing up at the end of the bench, in a stack of pipes. 2x4's and assorted other garbage. Time, hot, cold, humidity, sawdust, and God only knows what else had taken its toll. I have included some pics.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Mossberg%2022/GunStuff009.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Mossberg%2022/GunStuff010.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Mossberg%2022/GunStuff011.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Mossberg%2022/GunStuff013.jpg

Anyhow, I'm currently working over things with CLP, WD40, and fine steel wool. We're starting to clean up. I think I might cob together a set of aperture target sights for the old girl, and spend the summer shooting it with my son. And I'm keeping it in my own safe now!

3006guns
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Not everyone in the world is mechanically inclined. What seems to be a travesty to us would be "no big deal" to some people. That's why folks like us exist....to preserve things for the next generation. Your concern shows that you will preserve a bit of family history, even though you didn't know your grandfather. Perhaps your mother can provide some insight.

That's a neat old Mossberg! Sounds like you're on the right track with your clean up too. How's the bore? Still respectable? I also seem to remember that some of the old Mossbergs had a fold down forestock to be used as a bipod of sorts.

pmeisel
04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Please show us after photos. It looks like it will clean up OK. Glad you are doing it.

My dad was a fine man but a mechanical ignoramus as well.

oldfart1956
04-02-2010, 09:47 AM
O.K....mebbe I'm just stupid but I don't get it. Puddy much all my guns look like this. Mebbe this is why no one ever wants to buy a gun from me?? ;) Audie...

cheese1566
04-02-2010, 09:57 AM
She would do nicely as a "basement gunsmith" refurb!!!

Check out my old girl...http://cheese1566gunsandstuff.shutterfly.com/201

Formby's Furniture Refinisher, Formby's Tung Oil, and cold blue. I do have the luxury of a homemade sandblaster though.

[smilie=s:

Multigunner
04-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Looks like it should clean up okay.

Worst abused rifle I ever fixed up was a yard sale find a friend brought over.

It had been found leaning against a tree in the woods, apparently left there for years.

The scope, a nice Simmons, was completely full of old greenish rain water, and the bore had a tide line about 1/4 the way up.
The stock was so soaked you could squeeze water out of it by finger pressure, and split from trigger guard to fore end tip.

The rifle is a Revelation .22 single shot, a mossberg clone. Its the type that looks to be a bolt action built on a semi auto frame, with semi auto type hammer rather than striker fired.

The bore miraculously was unharmed, bullet lube had protected the surface despite sitting for years full of water.
The receiver was pitted like a corn cobb on top, but enough metal remained to smooth it out without filing away too much at the scope mount grooves.

The scope was a mess, I cleaned it out but the cross hair fitting came loose. I ended up using it as a view finder for a newtonian telescope. A spare dollar store scope replaced it, but once I'd replaced a missing rear sight the iron sights were what the owner liked best.

Careful drying and accaglass returned the stock to good order.

When finished the gun looked like new, and shoots like a target rifle. A very satisfying project.

Mumblypeg
04-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't get too worked up over it. Yea I know, It was your Grandpaw's Gun but try to look at it this way... What's done is done. You have it now and it looks like it will clean up ok and it's not exactly a priceless fine firearm... Well let me say something else. My Dad was a Vet. He could really work a scapel but he didn't which end of a screwdriver was which. He took a fine hunting knife of mine once and wacked off the feet of a rabbit he was cleaning on concrete! It did wonders to the fine edge I had on it. And there were many other things but my point is... well, he's been gone for almost 11 years now and those things would be a small price to pay just to spend a day talking to him again. Don't be too hard on him. :coffee:

shooterg
04-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Lot of single shots in the sticks look that bad . We useta call most any make farmer's single shot .22 a "pig gun" 'cause that's what was used to kill hogs for slaughter and any fox/skunk/etc. plus put down the cow that got hit in the street and so on. Long as it worked it was treated just as bad or well as that particular farmer treated his ax and hammers !
I expect you'll get the wood looking great, and since it's a heirloom, maybe even splurge $70 or so for a reblue, if the home scrubbing and cold blue don't suit ya.

At least you still have it ! My Pop's Springfield 15Y he bought from Sears in 1933 for $2.98 to run a trapline with got stolen out of my brother's car when it was wrecked and towed.

Hope your child's grandchildren get to shoot it !

fecmech
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Clean it up and it will probably be fine. Those old Mossbergs were very accurate rifles. I'd be willing to bet the bore is just fine and with decent ammo shoot with some high priced .22's you would buy today. I think the trigger is even adjustable on that rifle.

Recluse
04-02-2010, 11:28 AM
What is it about this generation of people born in the Depression, that if something gets in their gardens, they act like an enemy army is invading and declare all out war on it? I mean a rabbit eating a dollar and a half worth of lettuce causes them to totally loose their minds?

Uh, maybe because they have been HUNGRY with almost NOTHING TO EAT before in their lives?

Tends to make an impression on some folks.

Also, to many people guns are simply a tool to do a job and not something to collect or cherish or pamper.

:coffee:

SPRINGFIELDM141972
04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Take in to account the circumstances:

1. There is an invading rodent population into the only garden your going to get to plant this year.

2. You have a handy dispatching tool at your disposal.

3. You probably missed the opportunity rid yourself of this invading force when you ran into the house to retrieve the gun the first time.

4. Placed the tool in a handy location and then missed the intended target, once or twice over the course of a week.

5. This whole time the little b@$!^&d is eating your food.

6. And when you finally got him, you are afraid there will be another invasion soon.

7. So you leave it in that handy location and patiently await the next destructive horde.

I'm afraid I can see how such a travesty could occur and don't believe I could be upset with the individual involved.

Take this opportunity to spend some quality time with your son and make it into a father/son project that he will remember all his life. We all to often get caught up in the daily challenges of life in general and don't take the time to deal with the things that will out live us, like sharing with our children. I didn't have lot of those experiences with my father, he was busy trying to insure we didn't go hungry, but the times I did spend with him working on whatever are the things I smile about. ( That's where I learned how to curse really good too :? )

Regards,
Everett

Bad Water Bill
04-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Those depression folks saw their garden as food for THEIR children. The critters were trying to take food from their children so bang and something else was put on the plate.

Numrich Arms should have the Mossberg parts you need.

buck1
04-02-2010, 11:41 AM
On the bright side , at least you still have it, It can be used to teach your son about gun care , and now BOTH of you can restore it together.
Yes its still sad , but its not gone.
Oil , 0000 fine steel wool and soak time should help it a lot..........Buck

deltaenterprizes
04-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I got 3 guns in that condition for $100 from a garage sale cleaned them up but now they are junk after going through Hurricane Katrina! Maybe one day I will redo them again.

crabo
04-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I have a friends Stevens Crackshot that outside looks good, but the bore is horrible. I have been trying to clean it up and not having much luck. I am hoping it is not gone. The rifleling looks pretty bad at the chamber end. I have been soaking and scrubbing.

Any suggestions on getting the bore clean?

10 ga
04-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Crabo, for getting the bore clean get some Ed's Red. Google it and make some yourself or get some from Brownells. Soak bore with the Ed's Red overnight and brass brush scrub a couple times will tell the tale of what's going to come out.

As for "Grandpa's" 22. I've got 2 in the same shape, behind the seat of the pickup, that I use on the trapline etc... they go bang and are what has been described as the proverbial "pig gun", one served that purpose this past February too. If I cleaned them up and made them look all nice I couldn't in good concience use them as the tools they are. One is even a black Nylon 66 with a chiped and warped stock. I wipe them off and clean em up about twice a year but I need them to serve a purpose. Got both at "yard/garage" sales. You'll have a grand time overhaulin "Grandpa's" 22 with your son and he'll remember it forever. My daughter, 22 now, and I overhauled my Grandfathers old Winchester 1911 12ga "widowmaker" shotgun. Now she thinks recoil autos are the best and claims that one as "going to be hers". She shoots it pretty good too and when she goes back to her Verona it's like a toy it's so light and quick and she shoots that even better. I even like messin with and fixin up older guns. Mostly I like overhaulin MLs that some dolt has abused and gettin them to shoot decent. Best to all, 10 ga

Patrick L
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Cleanup is going well, and the bore looks to be good.

Funny thing is, my Dad isn't a mechanical ignoramus. He was a home builder and a darn fine carpenter. I don't think he would ever have treated even his hammer like this. And while I totally understand the Depression era mindset about "saving your food" why would you not also protect all of your hard earned possessions likewise? As someone said, its not exactly a fine firearm but I bet it cost $5 - $10 back then, and that was a LOT of money to those people. Its not just my Dad either, I see this in a lot of folks in that age bracket.

I will definitely post some after pics.

JDFuchs
04-02-2010, 01:47 PM
About the same thing happend to my grandparents two side by sides. They were in good care, or at least lack of use. Till about 5 years before my grandfather passed. They got shuffled into the garage. and the Florida air took there toll on them. Once I got them in my hands last week I oiled them up so the Colorado air would not split the stocks. Ill post pictures once i get a chance. Hope they clean up well. The one looks in good shape just will never have a good finish with out a complete reblue but the bore looks fine. The older one my Great grandfathers Will not likley fire again. the fireing pins have rusted in place. I think ill be able to get them free and everything into good shape but I dont think it will be solid enough to shoot.

montana_charlie
04-02-2010, 02:28 PM
At least you still have it !
That was my thought, too.
I was 16 when we lived in Kansas City, and my Dad went out to New Mexico to look into a new job. After about a month, he sent for us.
My stepmother decided to have a garage sale to get rid of 'excess stuff'.

A lot of irreplaceable 'sporting goods' went away in that sale, which happened while I was at school.
But, what tore me up most was...she sold my Dad's guns.

The rifle and shotgun were not very special, but one pistol was the Colt 1908 Hammerless .380 that had been his Dad's, and the other was the issued 1911 that my Dad had carried through WWII.

I never forgave her...
CM

nicholst55
04-02-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a friends Stevens Crackshot that outside looks good, but the bore is horrible. I have been trying to clean it up and not having much luck. I am hoping it is not gone. The rifleling looks pretty bad at the chamber end. I have been soaking and scrubbing.

Any suggestions on getting the bore clean?

You may want to look into having a barrel liner installed. I don't know what the cost would be, but it's always an option.

DLCTEX
04-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I reworked an old Remington Target Single shot 22 for an old friend of mine at his son's request. I spent days refinishing and rebluing. When his son presented it to him and asked if he recognized it, he didn't think he had ever seen it, it looked that nice. Two years later his son found it back in the shop where he originally found it, looking the same as when he found it the first time. The man was notoriously rough on guns as he considered them as mere tools. His brother loaned him a Sako 243 while his Mauser actioned rifle was being rebarreled. He was shocked and dismayed when he got it back.

snowtigger
04-03-2010, 11:43 AM
A few years ago,while working in a village in western Alaska, I found a Browning BLR lying on a woodshed. The buttstock was missing and it was beginning to rust. It seems the mainspring broke and the fellow just bought a new one.
I bought it for $40.00 abd brought it home After cleaning and de-rusting, the bore looked good. I found a place in Canada that had new, old stock wood and Numrich had the rest of the parts. After a cold blue job it made a presentable shooter. Since it is in 308 win, my wife fell in love with it and I gave it to her, I still get to look at it and if i am real nice to her she will occasionally let me shoot it.
A nice, light easy to carry rifle.
I once hung a 3X9 leupy on it but it looked too clunky (it was), so I took it off. I'll try a 1 1/2 to 5 one of these days, but it shoots good with the factory irons, I may leave it alone.

Archer
04-03-2010, 04:34 PM
I think the Mossberg will clean up nice, if the bore is ok. I have one that looks about like it, that was my Dad's, except it is a 410 shotgun. As a kid, I was was with him when he bought it, and that was some time ago, as I am 68 years young now. When he passed away, I got the Mossberg. It could stand a reblueing, and some stock finish, but shoots great yet. I'm thinking of redoing it, and putting it back like new again. Anyway, good luck with yours, a keepsake for sure.

jsizemore
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
When my dad died in the early 90's in Florida, I was going through his fishing wagon and found a SxS rusted to the bottom of a packing pad. With a little 0000 steel wool, tung oil, and some firing pin bushings, I have a Fox model B 20ga. built on the small boxlock. It's not collectable anymore but it's one of my most prized guns. Guess who I think about every time I raise that gun to my shoulder?

Charley
04-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Here's an old Noble in .22 LR that met a similar fate. Polished, reblued, and refinished the stock. Covered with rust spots to start with, but had a good bore.

3006guns
04-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I used to hang out a a gun shop in the S.F. bay area years ago. I was standing there when a woman brought in two rifles and a shotgun that belonged to her deceased husband. The shop owner bought them and after she left asked me if I wanted a .22 for my young son. Forty bucks and a quick wire wheel/blue job and my boy got a 1902 Winchester single shot for his seventh birthday. He still has it, although it's a little small for him these days.

.22's are always worth saving if it can be done. Somewhere out there is a kid yearning to learn................

fatelk
04-04-2010, 04:24 PM
From the thread title, I was expecting a lot worse. I've seen a lot worse that were still plenty salvageable.

Last year I bought a 100 year old Remington .22 pump rifle from an estate. It was in far worse condition. The stock was literally broken in two, and the metal was covered in surface rust.

Some epoxy, cold blue, time and elbow grease have made it presentable. It will never be a pristine show piece, but it's a good shooter and that's all that really matters.

snake river marksman
04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I call it polishing the turds. It's the best way there is to gain "experience in gunsmithing without ruining something with a lot of value. When you read those words in a magazine that say something like : "this is best left to an experienced gunsmith" How do you think the gunsmith got the experience?

This is my current project. It's an H&R 929 revolver in 22lr that belonged to my uncle. He wasn't much for babying guns or any other tool. My plan is to strip it down and then, since the surface is so rough already, bead blast it and then get a Parkerizing kit and refinish it that way. I like the looks of parkerizing and it doesn't require a polished surface so it should do quite nicely. At the rate that I'm going, it should only take about 2 years or so to get it done.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/1snake2river3marksman/shop30710002.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/1snake2river3marksman/shop30710001.jpg

PatMarlin
04-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Is that the mossberg with the long cartridge tube magazine? My buddy has one and the tube got lost. Has never been able to find one. I was thinking about making him one.

That treatment almost happend to my 870, but I came home and saved it before any damage took place.

Patrick L
04-05-2010, 07:14 AM
No Pat, mine's a single shot, but I do believe they made both tube and clip repeater versions as well.

How goes the packing/shipping of the copper?

PatMarlin
04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
My copper shipper is down south in Sacramento seeing a chiropractor and staying at her mothers. No I didn't cause the situation ...:mrgreen:

She should be back later this week, and will start shipping out the copper. I've had my hands full, but just finished up my CNC programming so I'm over the hump now.

Patrick L
04-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Well, after a few weeks of working at it off and on, I think the old girl cleaned up pretty well. I really don't want to reblue or refinish, as I find the older I get I enjoy a "seasoned" original finish more than a new one, as long as its not totally destroyed. Here are a few pics.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Mossberg%2022/GunStuff015.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Mossberg%2022/GunStuff016.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Mossberg%2022/GunStuff017.jpg

I used various solvents (CLP, WD40, and plain old kerosene) in a combination of soaking and polishing with #### grade steel wool and a stainless steel toothbrush to remove all of the surface rust. Fortunately there was no pitting. I used lemon oil to clean the heavy dirt off of the stock, and then some well worn #### steel wool with Johnson's Paste wax to get the more imbedded dirt off, as well as to restore just a bit of lustre. While searching the Internet for some original rear peep sights, I also discovered that the front sight was supposed to have a bead on top of it (it has always been broken off as long as we have owned the gun) so while I was at it I replaced it. I had the military sling in my collection.

Here's how she shoots. I just grabbed a box of plain Remington High Velocity (the green & yellow box "Golden Bullet") that I've probably had for 20 years. After sighting it in, here is what she can do at 50 yds off the bench:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Mossberg%2022/GunStuff014.jpg

Not too bad for plain open sights. I still plan on outfitting her with some target sights and rediscover the joys of .22 shooting this summer. And my dad can't have it back either!!

George_J
04-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Or you could redo that revolver in nickle..

http://www.caswellplating.com/

George_J
04-17-2010, 12:44 PM
http://forum.caswellplating.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=392&title=1880-colt-44-revolver&cat=502

johnlaw484
04-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Those old Mossbergs are grand old guns, they just don't build guns like that anymore.
I have restored several for myself and friends that showed up with Mossbergs in much worse shape than yours.

Parts are still available from Numrich. That is where I got mine.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com

PatMarlin
04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
THat rifle's lookin' great Patrick!

Just the way I like old rifles to look, I think it is a total save.

alamogunr
04-17-2010, 02:01 PM
My story is a little different. When I was in high school, I bought an old no name single shot bolt action for $4. It had had a rough life but cleaned up fairly well. When I was away at college, my dad used it with .22 shot cartridges to keep birds out of his pecan trees. I got it back later when my sons were old enough to shoot it. Later when they went away to college, I forgot about it and somehow it ended up in the garage. I dug it out after a couple of years and started another clean up. Right off the bat I couldn't see down the bore. Apparently a "dirt dauber"(at least that is what we call them here in TN) had inserted its nest about 8-9 inches down the barrel. I finally got all the mud out but it had damaged the bore for about 1.5 inches. No amount of scrubbing, brushing, etc could smooth out that section. I keep it just in case I need to shoot shot cartridges again.

John
W.TN

04-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Looks great! Good job, don't be too hard on the old man. Buy yeah i would not let him borrow it.

PepperBuddha
04-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Looks good!

http://bbdart.com/smile/polishturd.gif

yarro
06-19-2010, 10:29 PM
When my dad raised animals, he kept a rifle in both out buildings. He did at least clean and oil them on a regular basis. They still got a little surface rust on them in spots. He considered them tools, but he takes care of his tools.

All the relatives that farm keep a barn gun, truck gun, and tractor gun. One has a Win Model 12 shotgun with pitting in various places on it. A large amount of hay fell on it, and it was harvest time so it was under the pile for a couple of weeks. He did get it refinished eventually, but it still lives in the barn.

-yarro

Dollar Bill
06-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Great job, Patrick! It looks good. I have an old Mossy. It tends to favor standard velocity loads, CCI SV in particular. Federal AM22 is another good one.
I just went through the rifle after 25 years of pest control w/no maintenance other than wiping it down once a year. Yes, I do shoot varmints out of my garden, especially after I find an entire row of lettuce or beans gone!

Here's the results last weekend:

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/Dollar_Bill_2009/4targets.jpg

The right target was shot last in a gust. The wind was from my 6 all morning then switched to 3:00 when I went to shoot that string which I was trying to shoot for score.