PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman 4500 sizer - I made a mess

ghh3rd
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I was anxious to set up the new lube sizer tonight. Bolted it down and attempted to pour in some melted Felix lube. I was surprised to have it running like water onto the floor! :-?

My guess is that I should have had a sizer in place, perhaps with a boolit in it to plug the holes? Is that what is I need to do to prevent it from running out? Anyone out there done the same thing? Anyone who would admit it, that is :-)

I can clean up the lube easily at the bottom of unit, guess it will help prevent rust. How clean do I actually need to get the inside where the sizer goes? Wonder if a hair blower set to high will melt it out?

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq226/ghh3rd11/IMG_2452.jpg

Thanks,

Randy

AZ-Stew
04-02-2010, 12:34 AM
A hair dryer may do the job, depending on how hot Felix lube needs to be to melt. You only have to get the bore clean enough to get the die in the machine. If you can do that before you take the hair dryer to it, that would be the best way to start. Once you get the die in place, the heat won't cause a bigger mess. Just melt the lube off the outside and you're good to go. You don't need a boolit in place as long as the center shaft in the die is in the "up" position.

You have learned a good lesson, Grasshopper.

Regards,

Stew

RICKLANDES
04-02-2010, 09:16 AM
I use a heat gun for cleaning up lube.

A while back I had cleaned the lube press out and added some SPG to the unit. It was still quite warm. I did not get the run off as in your case, but it did soften the lube to the point of making an lot of goo that would not fill the grease grooves properly.

1Shirt
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I would just strip it down, and toss it in a bucket of boiling water. The lube will come to the top, when the water cools you can just skim off the lube, take out the sizer, and it will be clean. The lube can be salvaged of course. Put the sizer back together and on the bench, and hopefully don't make the same mistake twice. Don't ask me how I know this works.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

ChaplainJohn
04-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I thought I was the only one who did things like that... Well, at least now I know how to clean up without having to ask the question here.

sniper7369
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM
HA, yeah, definitely should have had a die in there bud. I can tell you what though, I poured some melted lube in my 4500 once and it squirted up out of the die, out the bottom, all over the place. Unless there's some solid lube already in the press it seems, the stuff will run out everywhere.
If you just hit the bottom with a heat gun to soften the lube you should be able to get a die in there and then clean the rest off.
Hat's off to ya for having the stones to admit it publicly. :drinks: Someone else will certainly learn from your "oops".

runfiverun
04-03-2010, 10:17 PM
at least you won't have air trapped in there.

gray wolf
04-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I can smile cause I did the same thing.--
Some things are a little painful to learn.

JIMinPHX
04-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Yea, you need to have a die in there if you melt the lube before loading it. You don't need a boolit in the die though. The ram that comes with the die should have a close enough fit to keep the magic juice from flowing out.

Southern Son
04-04-2010, 04:17 AM
I have a lube sizer on the way (hopefull will arrvie this week), and if I did not see this thread, I would probably have done it myself. Thanks for telling us about this, Randy, you almost certainly saved me from being savagely nagged about a lube spill on the carpet.

qajaq59
04-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Well, if you had to make a mistake on a loading bench, at least you picked one that wouldn't get you hurt. Be advised though that you aren't the first to make that one. lol

WHITETAIL
04-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Chaplain John, Welcome to the forum.8-)

OLPDon
04-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Simple to fix Stew has the answer soften get the die in place and you are good to go. I have known but don't always use the KISS formula (Keep It Simple Stupid)
What till it happens with the silver now thats a mess (Don't Ask)
Don

ghh3rd
04-04-2010, 07:55 PM
It took my brain a second or two to register that it was spattering all around my feet and to stop pouring. I was actually able to push a die in without removing any of the lube, crank the piston down and start lubing with any further issue.

I have a lube sizer on the way (hopefull will arrvie this week), and if I did not see this thread, I would probably have done it myself. Thanks for telling us about this, Randy, you almost certainly saved me from being savagely nagged about a lube spill on the carpet.

Southern Son - a large putty knife on the cement garage floor got the mess up pretty quick. I don't think this method will work on carpet, though :-)