PDA

View Full Version : First test of Lar45's BPCR lubes

44man
07-10-2006, 05:19 PM
I got down to shoot today, had to hurry because they are calling for storms so I didn't bother with the chronograph. I put an old 3x9 Bushnel scope on my browning. The crosshairs are thick and I get about 2" of parallax at 200 yd's. Still better then open sights. I used my modified rifle rest. I wiped between shots with a damp patch on a brush.
I was testing the 540 gr Brooks Creedmore mostly so I put Glenn's high temp lube on them to see how it works too. I haven't had much luck with this boolit yet. It is 90 degrees and humid. My target is in the shade but the sun kept going in and out on me, hard to see that way when the sun hits me. I started at 67 gr's of Swiss FFFG, newspaper over primer wad, .005" paper overpowder wad and a Fed 155 LPM primer. I went to 71 gr's.
67 gr's was the smallest with 4 in 1-1/4" and one high one for 2-1/4" total. From there all groups stayed the same at 2-3/4" except 71 gr's which was 1/8" smaller.
But first I needed to foul the bore so I loaded some of my own design boolits with 71 gr's of Swiss FFFG. I put Glenn's Supreme lube on them. The first shot from a clean barrel was 1" high and 1" left so I discounted it. The surprise came when the next 3 went into one hole, then I put one out to the right, don't know if I did it.
I'm still not that happy with the Brooks boolit. I will reduce loads next and try Swiss 1-1/2 too.
These were shot at 200 yd's.

44man
07-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Now my opinion of the lube even though it is still limited and I have a lot more to do.
I was amazed at how my boolit shot with the Supreme. The patch pushed through the bore with zero resistance and I didn't get the pile of dry crap that normally falls out ahead of the patch. I didn't have the huge gobs of black crud on the patch either. My brass was cleaner then I ever had before.
The same thing is true with the high temp lube and I got the barrel blazing hot. When I was done, I pushed 3 more patches through with the brush and the bore was almost clean. One wet and one dry patch up in the basement and the gun was clean.
The way the Brooks boolit never went wild with the increased powder charges is most likely due to the good qualities of the lube. The point of impact for both boolits and all loads never changed either. The paper with the holes was just pushed behind the actual target I shot at and was changed for each load. All the holes on the aiming target are in the same place.
Glenn said he never shot BPCR and for him to come up with this good of lubes sure put all the rest of us to shame with our piles of home made stuff. I am going to have one God awful time deciding on these. My work is cut out for me now. Time to cast some more so it will be a while before I get back with more results. Too hot to cast right now.
By the way, the rifle rest works like a charm with the wood V block out front for the barrel.