PDA

View Full Version : why is there no YouTube sticky?

troy_mclure
04-01-2010, 07:55 AM
why isn't there a sticky with to some of the YouTube videos on casting?

just starting out some these have proven invaluable to me, helping with my technique and stuff.

runfiverun
04-01-2010, 01:02 PM
because casting technique is learned by doing..
watching t.v. don't learn you nothin.

Blammer
04-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't think anyone has taken the time to do it. Sounds like a good idea.

BrianB
04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Sounds good to me. I just wish there were better videos out there. The one's I have seen were very poorly made and not edited. Though I have to admit, learning the editing software is not for the faint of heart.

Doc_Stihl
04-01-2010, 01:28 PM
because casting technique is learned by doing..
watching t.v. don't learn you nothin.

I disagree.

StarMetal
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I think it's a horrible idea. Hear me out. The LESS the anti gunners and anti hunters know about us casting lead bullet the BETTER!!!!!

BrianB
04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I think it's a horrible idea. Hear me out. The LESS the anti gunners and anti hunters know about us casting lead bullet the BETTER!!!!!

I don't know about that logic. Along those lines, couldn't the same be said about this site?

Freightman
04-01-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu102.htm
try here.http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu103.htm or here http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/educational.htm

troy_mclure
04-01-2010, 04:18 PM
pictures are all well and good, but videos help show techniques, and movements that somebody may not think to take a pic of.

Shiloh
04-01-2010, 04:21 PM
There are video's on YouTube

Look 'em up. I have but I ask questions here. That way they get answered by folks who've more thatn likely already made the mistakes.

Lots of knowledge here!!

Shiloh

StarMetal
04-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't know about that logic. Along those lines, couldn't the same be said about this site?

I don't believe so. There are far more people that don't have any interest in firearms, reloading, or casting that surf Youtube, for videos then surf the internet for written forum text, especially kids. I can see the scenario of a youngster telling his anti gunner dad or mom "Hey mom I saw a video on Youtube where this guy shows you how to melt lead and make bullets out of them". Too things here, lead and something related to guns. Wheel weights are already on the decline and the excuse is they are hazardous.

357shooter
04-01-2010, 05:18 PM
They are pretty easy to find on youtube, would it matter much to have them in a sticky? The articles written by members have been a bigger help to me than the youtube stuff anyway. So the current stickies and links at the bottom work for me.

Gunslinger
04-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I think the youtube videoes are great!

Before I bought my XL650 i watched a video on youtube, and by the time I got it it was kinda nice to have seen how it operates! And after having seen a star sizer in action I just know I'll die without one.

Videos can cover the basics. But what you can't do without...... is this forum, and all the wizards that frequent here!

04-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Didn't know that casting videos were out there. I'll stay with this site and continue with my own, old-fashioned trial and error method, thank you. To each his own.

SciFiJim
04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Look up videos on Ammosmith.com He has some very interesting videos about casting and other reloading topics.

runfiverun
04-01-2010, 11:58 PM
ammosmith does have some vids but you could just ask him here.
russell nash here also has some vids.
iv'e even seen one by chas err texrebel.
how hard is it to lift a handle ,or use a ladel?
the hard part is fixing leading, sizing, lube properties,fitting the throat, alloys.
casting is the easy part.
consistency and performance is the experience.

SciFiJim
04-02-2010, 01:08 AM
For an absolute beginner with no one else to show them the ropes, videos are great. I had never seen anyone cast anything before I started a year ago.

Now that I have learned so much here, I watch some of the videos on youtube and cringe when someone bangs on their mold with a hammer to get the boolits to release.

Videos are a place to start. Once you learn how to hold the handles and pour lead with a dipper or a bottom pour pot, you can use this forum to learn LOTS more.