PDA

View Full Version : Casting ventilation setup

Hopalong
04-01-2010, 07:19 AM
For years I had problems with ventilation when casting. It didn't matter whether I was casting in my garage with the door open, or in my basement with a fan going, or wherever--I'd almost always have a headache after casting, and I decided that there might be some long-term effects as well. I finally decided to do something about it: I bought an inexpensive range hood (ducted, with a blower) and mounted it above my steel casting bench in the basement. I ran the ducting outside through an old coal door (cut a piece of plywood to fit the opening), put a flapper valve out there to keep the bugs and rodents out, and I had the basis of a pretty good ventilation system. Refinements include hanging the hood up with a light chain so it can be raised up and down, putting an aluminum sheet "skirt" around the bottom of the hood (to enable it to hold more evil fumes), clipping another light on the hood to make the casting operation more visible, and using a block of insulation material in the winter so I don't get cold air in (along with the condensation that would collect from the damp basement). Anyway the rig works like a charm. All the fumes are sucked up and out, and I don't even have to cope with the cooling effect of a fan blowing on the pot and the mold. Try it!

Casting Timmy
04-01-2010, 07:49 AM
I've been thinking about trying to do something like this. If I can get away with it I'm thinking about combining this vent into the same exit as the dryer vent.

GabbyM
04-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I did about the same thing using a bathroom ceiling fan. Section of plastic vent hose to a dryer wall vent mounted in a piece of plywood cut to fit a nearby window. Fan hangs from ceiling on wire for picture mounting. It is on the noisy side but I'm not sure a range hood would be much quieter.