PDA

View Full Version : Removing Alox from loaded cartridges

prickett
03-31-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm tumble lubing my bullets and want to remove the alox from loaded rounds. I've wiped off the cartridges with mineral spirits to remove the alox, but am wondering if anyone has a less tedious way to do this.

wiljen
03-31-2010, 10:08 PM
short answer - nope

Echo
04-01-2010, 03:15 AM
I haven't tried this, but - use the method I use for cleaning cartridges after final seating. I splash a couple (maybe 3) tablespoons of mineral spirits on an old towel, dump the cartridges in the middle, grab ends and give it the old up-n-down movement. Takes all the lube off the boolits/cartridges in just a couple of minutes. Bet it would work...

(OK, a scant quarter cup)

DLCTEX
04-01-2010, 06:16 AM
I haven't tried this, but - use the method I use for cleaning cartridges after final seating. I splash a couple (maybe 3) tablespoons of mineral spirits on an old towel, dump the cartridges in the middle, grab ends and give it the old up-n-down movement. Takes all the lube off the boolits/cartridges in just a couple of minutes. Bet it would work...

(OK, a scant quarter cup)

I believe Gear Gnasher posted that method recently. Havent tried it yet, but plan to.

bigboredad
04-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I've tossed them into the vibratory type case cleaners for about a half hour and have had good luck. That should get some people excited

runfiverun
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
it used to.
but carrying them in my pocket or rolling around in the truck should have the same effect.
iv'e never heard of tumbling loaded rounds and posting pic's comparing before and after powder, or a chrono comparison either.
but it sure gets a debate.

AriM
04-01-2010, 04:16 PM
from what I know...ALL ammunition manufacturers tumble loaded ammo, to remove sizing (including final sizing) lube. I tumble my loaded rounds, each and every time I build them. Have not had one single issue. Corncob works best, with a cap full of prepsol or similar solvent.

If you care to find it....there is a video/dvd put out some time ago called "competition reloading : with brian enos".....Brian Recommends tumbling loaded ammo to clean up the lube. Brian knows a thing or three about reloading. If my experience is not enough to convince, maybe Brians opinion/experience will make you feel better about it.

prickett
04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I've tossed them into the vibratory type case cleaners for about a half hour and have had good luck. That should get some people excited

I started out by sticking them in my tumbler, but the lead was getting pretty beat up so I switched to wiping them off.

Snyd
04-01-2010, 10:01 PM
A quick twist of the round with the boolit in steel wool. Or, just leave it on em.