PDA

View Full Version : Where can i find GC that fit?

PacMan
03-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Well i have tried and the Hornady checks that i have will not fit. My bullets are cast from a .361 LBT mould for .357 mag. and the checks are 35 caliber Hornadys. Thought that my bullets shanks might be undersized but they mike .3575. I pulled som checks off of some Beartooth .360 bullets and they fit perfict. Good and tight.The hornadys i can set bullet in and and they will fall off.

Anyone else have this problem?

Did i buy wrong size or pay good money for inferior product?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Dwight

RayinNH
03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Dwight did you try annealing like I suggested in your other post? Sometimes the check will have enough spring back to be loose. Annealing will make them dead soft and thereby crimp on tighter. If that doesn't do it maybe someone could send you a few "Gator Checks" to try. I don't use .35 cal. or I'd send you some. Very few check makers out there...Ray

PacMan
03-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Ray i did try annealing them but did not work.Most of these checks the bullet will drop into and when i pick up the bullet they fall off.That is before i run them thur the sizer/seater.Even then they are wobbly and can be pulled off with my thumb nail. I can help but beleive that they are over sized.
Like i said i pulled some off of other bullets and they fit perfict/good and tight.
Thanks for you reply and help.
Where can i order the Gator checks? I am all dressed up and no place to go.HA

Thanks again
Dwight

RayinNH
03-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Dwight, you can get Gator's from Blammer. He has a thread going it the "Vendor/Sponsor section titled "Gator gas check orders. You could put a thread up in "Swappin & Sellin--Want to buy area looking to buy a hundred or so to try first, No need to buy 1000 if they don't work for you, unless some kind hearted soul sees this and is willing to send you a few in an envelope to try. If this doesn't pan out I suspect you'll be reading the threads on making your own checks soon :razz:. Good luck. Post your results...Ray

Rico1950
03-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Look below "GROUP BUY LOG IN here". Click on DJ's Corner.

RayinNH
03-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Rico, none in stock in DJ's corner. That's why I suggested he go to the thread and speak up if he wants to order, but your right that is were one looks for inventory...Ray

Rico1950
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Well i have tried and the Hornady checks that i have will not fit. My bullets are cast from a .361 LBT mould for .357 mag. and the checks are 35 caliber Hornadys. Thought that my bullets shanks might be undersized but they mike .3575. I pulled som checks off of some Beartooth .360 bullets and they fit perfict. Good and tight.The hornadys i can set bullet in and and they will fall off.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Dwight

Check shank diameter again. Gator 35 checks have a .341" shank diameter.

Char-Gar
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Dwight.. IMHO you problem is a problem in theory only. I don't think those loose gas checks will make any difference in the performance of your handgun. The old Lyman gas check just slipped on and often were loose or fell off in flight. In spite of that they seemed to produce good results for generations of shooters. If they would stay on long enough to seat the bullet in the case, we were good to go.

The crimped on gas check originated from Hornaday and I do think are better. However, I have a few molds with a small gas check shank that do as you report. I just shoot them and don't worry about it.

Quite often we "major on the minor" and ignore real world shooting. At least, so it seems to me. Many of our theories go up with the gun smoke. Unless those loose checks are giving you unsatisfacatory down range performance, then what's the beef?

WILCO
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
uses Lock-tite to hold his checks on.

9.3X62AL
04-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Loose gas check shanks can be resolved by VERY SLIGHT honing with abrasive paper to the mould's shank area. GO SLOW, with 600 grit.

Big gas check shanks can also be encountered--it's a Lyman thing. I flare the Hornady gas check flange slightly with a punch of the correct size and taper, or a ball bearing. TAP TAP.

BABore
04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Posters are correct that a .358 boolit is spec'd to have a maximum shank size of 0.341 diameter.

I have several lots of both Hornady and Gator GC's. They all will fall off of a 0.341 shank prior to crimping. If your sizing to 0.357 to 0.358, they will usually stay on just fine as is. If you size to 0.359 to 0.360, then they usually don't get crimped tight enough. The best solution here is to anneal the GC well. An alternative solution, if your getting a new mold built, is to go with a step shank. This allows the top, inner edge of the GC to wipe into the reduced diameter slightly. They may still turn on the shank, but they don't come off easily.

Knowing this problem exists, I now cut new cherrys to drop a 358 boolit with a 0.342 to 0.343 diameter shank. Both brands of checks are then a snap fit which I prefer. When sizing, I like to snap on the GC's and line them up for rapidly sizing. Nothing ticks me off more than have a GC fall off on the way or having to hold them in place as I set them in.

Smokin7mm
04-22-2010, 09:40 AM

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Dwight

If it is a LBT mold contact Veral Smith and he will correct the problem. He has a forum on Graybeards. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums//index.php/board,114.0.html
He backs his products. Explain your situation and he will inform you how to fix it or to send the mold in and he will fix it. I think your issue is your check to shank fit.
Bret

dragonrider
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Is it just me or does the dimension he posted for a gas check shank seem odd,??? .3575" is not a gas check dimension. Sounds like a plain base boolit to me, and if so seating a check will be very difficult.

WILCO
04-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Is it just me or does the dimension he posted for a gas check shank seem odd,??? .3575" is not a gas check dimension.

I would have to say he just measured the driving band diameter. As it's been said
before, .341 is the correct shank diameter.

dragonrider
04-23-2010, 06:24 AM
My point exaclty,

Dwight what mold are you using. ??????

ammohead
04-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Had the same problem with an LBT mould. When I finally got through to Veral he told me to take an xacto knife or very sharp pocket knife and very slowly remove material from the mould in the gas check area. Worked fine.

Loose checks aren't a big deal until you are shooting through a chronograph and one comes off and hits the display! I speak from experience.

ammohead

WILCO
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Dwight what mold are you using. ??????

My bullets are cast from a .361 LBT mould for .357 mag. and the checks are 35 caliber Hornadys.

Here ya go.