PDA

View Full Version : Homemade shot maker

cheese1566
03-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Having the idea to make my own shotmaker and starting to do research.

What about using a small personal electric fry pan as the base and adding the lip and dripper nozzles?

Presto used to make one, but they can be found on the internet for around $25.
They are about 600 watts and have a dial control; teflon coated that would have to be stripped off. I am sure they are aluminum...would that be a problem?

DLCTEX
03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Interesting idea. I'll have to kick this one around. It seems a workable idea. I'll have to visit the thrift shops and estate auctions.

ETG
03-31-2010, 08:54 PM
I have been thinking about a homemade shot maker too. I know it might be slower than the big multi nozzle units but I was wondering about modifying a bottom pour pot with a nozzle. You would definitely have enough heat to melt the lead as well as a shutoff valve.

Faret
03-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Littletons are made out of cast aluminum. Give it a try!

cheese1566
03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
I just need to figure the drippers.
Almost too much info on those here and shotgun world!
I see some say to drill them straight through (3/8" bolt bored out to 1/4" and the last little bit the .020" final hole) VS. the same method, but the final hole perpendicular to the bore hole to come out the bottom.

I am starting to think of a design that will allow adjustment in the lip and tilt of the pan independently.

Just need to do some scrounging for a fry pan.

:bigsmyl2:

GP100man
04-01-2010, 07:52 AM
What `bout mig weldin tips , I think there copper but replaceable????

Thinkin out loud thru the finger tips.

scrapcan
04-01-2010, 10:06 AM
The wire feed tips are a bit large in the diameter department. You will need a small hole to make normal range of shot size.

The tips make excellent propane forge/foundary burner orifices though!

Muddy Creek Sam
04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Get a lot of #78 Drill bits for #9 shot dripper. Have the James Stewart with double drippers and cannot even see the holes.

Sam :D

Four Fingers of Death
04-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Are you going to thread nipples into the pan or just drill holes in the lowest part of the body? I love this cheapskste engineering stuff!

cheese1566
04-01-2010, 06:04 PM
The more I think about it, I was going to maybe try the welding nozzle idea and tap the bottom of the pan to accept them (or just some brass screws/plugs). I would probably tilt the pan to pool the melt over the tips.
Or maybe drill the fry pan with out. Nice thing about the welding nozzle or brass screws would be the ability to change nozzles and hole sizes.

DLCTEX
04-01-2010, 08:38 PM
The Littleton nipples are not that expensive, probably cheaper than all the tiny bits you'd break trying to drill the holes. Just drill and tap for the nipples.

cheese1566
04-01-2010, 09:27 PM
The Littleton nipples are not that expensive, probably cheaper than all the tiny bits you'd break trying to drill the holes. Just drill and tap for the nipples.

And take the fun out of it?

$50 for a set of 7 or $7.10 a piece from magma engineering...Ill try my resources and ingenuity...besides, I probably wouldn't use it that much! Just love a challenge.

Faret
04-01-2010, 09:36 PM
And what a challenge it is!!!

mtgrs737
04-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Come on guys, this is easier than you think. Insert the unfluted shank of the drill (or wire) that is the size you would like and then forge the copper around it with a hammer and anvil. In no time at all you could do a dozen or so.

cheese1566
04-02-2010, 08:30 AM
I thought about that. Have you tried it?

I wonder if you should lube the rod before and take extreme care not to over do it.

OLPDon
04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I thought about that. Have you tried it?

I wonder if you should lube the rod before and take extreme care not to over do it.

Gave a looksee at your projects very impresive. Thanks for sharing (not a hyjack of thread)

Looking forward to the shot maker thingy. Looks like a do able keep us posted
Thanks Again
Don

cheese1566
04-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Still searching the junks shops and second hand stores for a personal fry pan. No luck so far...
May have to resort buying a new one...eeeeek!
If anyone has one, I trade for lead!

OLPDon
04-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Will give a look in my corners of basement see what I can come up with will also check at the K of C (Club) to see what learks around will keep you posted. Heck I might come up with 2 and we will both have shot makers
Don

OLPDon
04-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Cheese

Came up with nothing sorry bout that will keep my eyes open. Keep us informed on this project.
Don

Sitsinhedges
04-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Wont work.

Too low temp and too high heat loss.

cheese1566
04-11-2010, 12:12 AM
I think I may put this project on the back burner, no pun intended!

I may continue if a suitable small frypan comes my way.

I would always settle for a used and very cheap Littleton!

Anyways, 00 buckshot production with my Sharpshooter mold is keeping me busy enough.

Nate1778
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
It is funny how few shot it seams to make even with 20 cavities when you start filling shells.

04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
get a James Stewart with double drippers and never look back. your biggest consern will be getting enugh ww to feed it. ran my double 8 and my double 7 1/2 the other day for 4 1/2 hrs and made 675 lb. of grate shot. it is fun to make your own mechine but if you realy want to make a lot of shot that is good, James Stewart has worked out the bugs 40 yrs ago. the litton is not close. you can even talk to him on the phone. just try to reach litton .

cheese1566
04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
It is funny how few shot it seams to make even with 20 cavities when you start filling shells.

I know, I am just starting to get the hang of it. Most of the time I can get 10 out of the 20 cavity filled at first, then the majority once i get it heated up and moving. I started to make it after every casting session, just to get the lead level lower before turning off. A little at a time and it piles up!

peter nap
04-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Put a pot of antifreeze under your Lee Pot. Mine makes Buckshot!

Nate1778
04-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Put a pot of antifreeze under your Lee Pot. Mine makes Buckshot!

:grin:

Never thought about that, pretty good idea.

coleman
04-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Peter nap, not to hijack this thread. could you be a little more specific about making buckshot with the lee pot?

Nate1778
04-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Peter nap, not to hijack this thread. could you be a little more specific about making buckshot with the lee pot?

I think he was partially jesting about how a Lee pot drips. They are notorious for dripping, so I think he meant put a coolant under the drip and catch the drips in the coolant. Depending on the size of the drip would determine the shot size.

cheese1566
04-15-2010, 11:48 PM
yeah, but do a search for "shotmaker"

NSP64 made a simple one dripper attachment for his Lee melter to make shot

here it is: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=14917&highlight=shotmaker

peter nap
04-16-2010, 12:31 AM
I think he was partially jesting about how a Lee pot drips. They are notorious for dripping, so I think he meant put a coolant under the drip and catch the drips in the coolant. Depending on the size of the drip would determine the shot size.

I was being a smarta$$, Sorry[smilie=b:

My Lee pot does drip no matter what I do.

Someone earlier suggested using a Lee pot and it does sound like a good idea. I may try fitting a nozzle to it next week.

coleman
04-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Iam just getting into bullet casting and slowly getting what i need for it or make it in my spare time, it would be worth a try to fit a nozzel on the lee pot.
I am going to make me a shot maker sometime except out of stainless, I was thinking on the plate that the shot rolls off of(whatever its name is) out of polished stainless. Yes i have a tig welder to weld stainless.

DLCTEX
04-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Wont work.

Too low temp and too high heat loss.

You would have to use a different temp. control and heat loss can be handled easily. Use more imagination.:smile:

cheese1566
04-16-2010, 09:55 AM
the wheels are still turning with ideas!:idea::idea:

I will be watching the junk stores and garage sales for cheap elect frypans, single burners (which I could use for heating my molds too), and cast iron pans/skillets...

I don't think it is really rocket science. The concept and idea is the same from maker to maker. Just in this application of a homebrew one- it will take time and effort to fine tune and tweak it to find what works best. Patience and time...kinda like hunting!!!

scrapcan
04-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Also the aluminum is used for the shot pot due to the conduction of heat through aluminum. You might have to be careful with the teflon coating until it is burned off. Vaporized teflon is not something you want to breath everyday.

cheese1566
04-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Also the aluminum is used for the shot pot due to the conduction of heat through aluminum. You might have to be careful with the teflon coating until it is burned off. Vaporized teflon is not something you want to breath everyday.

The teflon would be quickly sandblasted off; just like my mini-muffin pans.

megafatcat
04-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Perhaps a waffle iron base?

cheese1566
05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Found a Westbend fondue pot at the Salvation Army for a whopping $2. It is 600 watts with the usual o-shaped element on the bottom with an adjustable thermostat control. Sides are pretty high so I plan on cutting them down to keep them from acting like a radiator and lose heat. Pretty sure it is aluminum and the teflon will be carefully removed via enclosed sandblaster cabinet. I have a few extra MIG welding tips in my welder kit to play with for drippers.

It may take a few weeks to get going. I'll do a start to finish with pictures if it actually works.

If nothing else, I'll cut the sides down flush to the bottom for a mold warming hot plate.:wink:

Suo Gan
05-07-2010, 03:25 AM
I got about 40 sh_tmakers in the coop. I bought them at the feed store.

mac1911
05-07-2010, 07:06 AM
http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/smess_list.cfm#620803

I ended up finding a used james stewart bettershotmaker , well made works ok. I have only made about 35lbs with about 25lbs useable shot.

bit of a learning curve.

hoosierlogger
05-07-2010, 07:13 AM
I built two shot makers out of 1/4" aluminum plate. I used stainless steel bolts for the nozzles. Surprisingly enough I only broke one drill bit when I drilled my nozzles out. I made a frame to set the dripper on to maintain enough angle to get the lead into the front of the pot. I set mine on the side burner of the gas grill with the burner on high, and ladle lead into it as needed.

cheese1566
05-07-2010, 06:45 PM
So much for my fondue pot. Not enough heat as I was told. :(
Oh well, I'll still cut it down for a mold warming plate.:wink:

mac1911
05-19-2010, 11:40 PM
I recently purchased a jim stewart better shotmaker, love it. BUT a customer of mine when he learned I like to shoot,reload ect ect. Says " I got a shot maker I never used, still in the envelope". As I was thinking what kind of shotmaker fits in a envelope. Well he dropped off the shotmaker today?
Its a Econshot the home shotmaker, check it out

Four Fingers of Death
05-20-2010, 03:18 AM
simple enough, probably wouldn't be too economical for large quantities with the blow torch as the heat scource It would be fine for smaller quantities. What the last picture of?

mac1911
05-20-2010, 08:01 AM
last pic is the dripper that mounts inside the tube. I may try it for the novelty of it

krag35
05-20-2010, 08:08 AM
What is the dripper made of?

mac1911
05-20-2010, 10:53 AM
looks like a hollow 3/8 bolt with the tip ground down to a point with a very small hole drilled on the angle of the tip

vinceb
07-11-2010, 11:40 AM
if you want to build a shotmaker .... there is an old shotgun digest with a review on shot makers . it covered all shotmakers produced at the time . good photos .
ask around .
ramp length and angle are pretty important .
used to drop my shoot into diesel fuel ...scary stuff .

gunlovingsob
12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
mernards, $10.88 for a single electric cook top burner, ran it up to 600 deg, then it shut down, removed guts from housing to allow parts to be in open air, mounted burner on an aluminum holder, holds up to 700 deg and temp controll working perfect to maintain any temp below that, cast my own littleton style drip pan using lost foam casting i learned from youtube, works great

Faret
12-04-2010, 11:05 PM
mernards, $10.88 for a single electric cook top burner, ran it up to 600 deg, then it shut down, removed guts from housing to allow parts to be in open air, mounted burner on an aluminum holder, holds up to 700 deg and temp controll working perfect to maintain any temp below that, cast my own littleton style drip pan using lost foam casting i learned from youtube, works great
Got A pic!

P.K.
12-16-2010, 09:26 AM
How about uniformity(sp)? Most of the home cast I have seen end up looking like tear drops. Has anyone been able to build a dripper and not have to or calculate the length of the drop for small stuff say #8 or #9 sized shot? I'd like to cast my own, only if I could get consistant patterning out of the drop.

As for a dripper I found some guy from my old stomping grounds selling a plate steel melting "pan", something he rigged and didn't look all that dificult to do, for $150.00!!! The problem with his idea was all of it shaped up like tear drops hence the question of drop distance. From the pic's he was driping it directly into his cooling medium.

Russel Nash
12-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Taking a good luck at that picture, my first guess is that there is actually a little bit of a burr at the end of the ramp.

Just as the droplet is about to...well...drop off the end of the ramp it snags on that burr and is pulled into a tear drop shape. Just go over it lightly with a file or some sandpaper.

I get my ramp as close as possible to the water/coolant...so about 1/4" to 3/8". So just like in your pic, the back edge of my ramp is beveled too.

The only other thing I could tell you is to switch to a graphite spray instead of using soapstone.

But only spray it on the ramp when the ramp is cool. To do it while it is hot yields some interesting results. :shock:

There is a pretty good thread on the shotgunworld forums, all 38 pages of it:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15776&start=740

Russel Nash
12-18-2010, 04:17 PM
oh...yeah...IMO, the length of the drop has nothing to do with shot size.

Shot size is a factor of a few things, but mainly it is the orifice size. I bought the drippers from Jim Stewart for #7.5 and #9 shot. The #9 orifices are obviously smaller than the #7.5's.

Other factors include:

heat
head pressure (how much molten lead is uphill or upstream of the dripper pushing downwards on the dripper)

(combining heat and head pressure changes the viscosity of the lead. hotter makes it runnier like water)

orifice inlet hole

composition of the alloy mix

and last but not least....the alignment of the planets...and sometimes how you hold your mouth when you look at the shotmaker while it's running.

:bigsmyl2:

supposedly for a #7.5 orifice you want to use a #78 drill bit.