PDA

View Full Version : Update - Help need a fat 30... had one all the time

JBMauser
07-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Well I was filing my bore slugs from my two 7.62X54R rifles in their plastic bags and measurements when I pulled out my reference slugs as dropped from all of my molds. I looked at the note in with the Lee c-312-185r and my jaw dropped. It drops from the mold exactly at what I want for the groove. The nose is a bit fat at .305 but I will play with seating depth and I run straight WW so these pills are not rock hard. I ran them through my improvised sizer after tumbleing them in Lee liquid alox. the lee ram from the lee .309 push through sizer was used to run the boolit with GC through a inverted very old style 30/06 sizser die. the top now bottom dia. is exactly .315!! I ran my brass into George Herter's Universal neck sizer die with a 30A coller and it necks my brass to just under .312 ID.... sweet. I am ready to rock and roll. I will bell the mouth with my lee flaring die and If I need to tap the flare back I can give them all a light hug with the 7.65x54 Lee FCD. I just hope I don't jinx the whole project by crowing too soon!!! Now I need to come up with some loads for a 194gr pill. The fun begins.... JB

JBMauser
07-10-2006, 12:01 AM
As I let my brain work this over I have decided I will make up a M die spud to open the neck to .313 or .314 and have just .001 of grasp. I may not need to bell the mouth of the neck as the GC stretch may be enough to not shave the bullet. Do you all have a "practical grasp " so to speak for boolit size to neck size for proper tension without boolit deforming? JB

Dale53
07-10-2006, 01:43 AM
I like my expanding stem to be about .001" less than bullet diameter. I count on the brass springback of about .001" that gives me a total case neck tension of .002". That holds the bullet tight enough for me and does not damage soft bullets.

This is for RIFLES, single shot, bolt action, or lever action.

Dale53