PDA

View Full Version : rooster jacket

buck1
03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
What do you use it on(357 mag,44 spl ETC), and how does it work out for you?
Whats the best way to put it on?
Thanks all!..........Buck

870TC
03-31-2010, 12:00 PM
I use it to cover up LLA and make the bullets not sticky. Been pouring bullets and Rooster back 'en forth between disposable cups, then squeeze the cup to retain the bullets and pour the Rooster back in the bottle.

AriM
03-31-2010, 07:07 PM
i have used it a few times. I was less than pleased with the results. The coating is not even and is not durable. I have tried it as both a singular solution and as a final coat. Neither produced acceptable results. It really takes a full day or so to cure completely. The method I found to be easiest for coating, was to use an automotive oil funnel. it has a large mesh screen in the bottom. I pour the boolits into the funnel and then drench them in Rooster Jacket. I catch the liquid that drips out of the bottom of the funnel and reuse it. If you have acceptable results, please let me know. I found it to be inadequate on it's own, and far too troublesome and messy to bother with (as a final hardening coat).

buck1
03-31-2010, 08:20 PM
I plan to try it for a .44 spl 200 gr rnfp ACWW. I will post my results when I get them shot

imashooter2
03-31-2010, 08:30 PM
I use it on .38 Special and .45 ACP. I apply 2 light coats by tumble lubing, allowing about 2 hours dry time between coats. The 2 coats is keey to uniform application in my experience. I find it as effective as LLA in the applications listed. No leading at all in .45 ACP in both 1911 pistols and a S&W 625. Very minor leading in one S&W 686, but no leading in another. I would not even consider it for magnum revolvers or rifles.

Not sure what issues AriM had with durability. I've loaded boolits lubed yesterday and boolits lubed last year. I've shot boolits lubed yesterday and boolits lubed 2-3 years ago. No issues of any kind.

buck1
03-31-2010, 08:52 PM
I think my bottle may be old even though I just bought it from midway. Its about like pudding. I TLed some anyway. they coated well and feel lubed after drying.

AriM
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Not sure what issues AriM had with durability. I've loaded boolits lubed yesterday and boolits lubed last year. I've shot boolits lubed yesterday and boolits lubed 2-3 years ago. No issues of any kind.

main issues were with it getting damaged/marred in the seating die. no issue with it degrading over time though. I should have clarified that. it does seem to last through all weather conditions, once cured.

it did not pass the fingernail scratch test though. even after fully curing, I am able to scratch it with my fingernail and a bit of pressure.

not "durable" in my book.

imashooter2
03-31-2010, 11:00 PM
main issues were with it getting damaged/marred in the seating die. no issue with it degrading over time though. I should have clarified that. it does seem to last through all weather conditions, once cured.

it did not pass the fingernail scratch test though. even after fully curing, I am able to scratch it with my fingernail and a bit of pressure.

not "durable" in my book.

Well, I'll agree you can scratch it off. I haven't seen a lot of lubes you can't scratch off though...

RayinNH
03-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Buck, I like it. My bottle has thickened over the years. It's an aqueous solution, I just added a bit of water and shook the bottle. I believe it has a max velocity of 1100 fps...Ray

John Boy
03-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Rooster Lube Liquid works good lubing the paper on PP bullets

AriM
03-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Well, I'll agree you can scratch it off. I haven't seen a lot of lubes you can't scratch off though...

really? I haven't had that trouble with with hardened paraffin wax based lubes, or modified LLA. I would say that the majority of lube/lube methods I come up with, do pass the scratch test. I just think it's not acceptable for a lube coating to come off in your seating die. That would leave an un-lube boolit and a messy die. Maybe I am being too picky. The Rooster Jacket just never worked out for me. I think it's best used for it's intended application, as a paper patch lube.

Others seem to have good luck with it though. More power to them. I wish I could get it to perform for me. It's really inexpensive and non toxic.

[smilie=6:

imashooter2
04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Rooster doesn't come off in my seating die and I find wax based lubes scratch off just the same as Rooster. Our experiences are very different and I'm not sure why. The only difference that jumps out is our application methods...

buck1
04-01-2010, 02:37 PM
What is rooster jacket made of? anyone know? Is it water based?

AriM
04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Rooster doesn't come off in my seating die and I find wax based lubes scratch off just the same as Rooster. Our experiences are very different and I'm not sure why. The only difference that jumps out is our application methods...

yes I think that is an excellent point. I have made this observation, time and time again on this forum. Lube is lube. The ONLY thing that makes one better or worse, heck different, than another is the application method.

The only lube I have found to stray form this observation, is the one swaprat uses. Bayou Bullets have some kind of hard coating on them. It is vastly superior to anything I have tried or heard of. I don't know if it can even be called a lube. It's more of a "jacket" (for lack of better terms).

On that note, part of his result is the method of application......

:veryconfu

AriM
04-01-2010, 03:27 PM
What is rooster jacket made of? anyone know? Is it water based?

It is water based. It will steam at low heat. I tried pouring it on hot boolits once (to try and get a more even coat) and it steamed right off. I tried baking it in an oven, at modest temperature....it vaporized.

It is water based, and organic. It does not contain any petroleum or co polymers. Beyond that, I can only guess what it is.

Oh and it stinks. Literally.