PDA

View Full Version : Italian Vetterli question

mtnman31
03-30-2010, 11:01 PM
What is the doo-dad referenced in the photo? Not sure what its purpose is.
My Swiss Vetterli has nothing of the sort.

I recently got an Italian Vetterli rifle that was one of the ones converted to 6.5x52. I am in the process of cleaning it up. It was covered in cosmoline. Looks to be in good shape except for the fact that it appears to have been parkerized by someone at some point. I don't think these were originally parkerized. They did a decent job and the gun is solid. I plan to shoot some mild cast loads through it - no jacketed.

Anyone got any 6.5x52 brass, dies, and suitable molds for sale or trade? Any suggested loads?

BTW - the pictured rifle is not mine. Mine is currently in pieces being cleaned up.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/vetterli.jpg

jonk
03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
That's the lock ring. Something with locking the bolt down or up or with bolt removal, I sold mine a few years ago so am not entirely sure anymore, but it is in that area. I THINK bolt removal.

I have 20 Norma cases if you want to make an offer, shoot me a PM.

BudRow
04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I believe it was originaly a magazine cut-off used to hold a full magazine in reserve while still being able fire as a single shot - could be wrong though.

twotoescharlie
04-02-2010, 06:57 PM
It also blocks the bolt removal key so that it cannot work its way out.

I have one of these will not shoot the cruise missle at low velocities, might go to a lighter boolit with mild loads. (black powder action)

Ttc

mtnman31
04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
On my rifle the bolt retaining key is too large to fit under the ring. My initial thoughts were that is was to retain the key as well, but as I said it doesn't go over the key and is not bent or damaged in any way. The magazine cut-off sounds like it might work. Once I get some ammo I will have to see if that is how it works.

Right now my plan is to try the cruise missile. I am going to mill down the mold blocks and remove the area that is the gas check shank. Some other members have made similar suggestions in their own quest to get their 6.5's to work with the cruise missile. The cruise missile mold was cheap enough that if it doesn't work I won't feel guilty about altering the mold. Since it will be low velocity the gas check isn't needed and removing the shank should lighten it up a bit.

I'm still on the prowl for any reloading tools and components.