PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Point to Solid

Capn Jack
03-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I have a hollow point mold for .358 and was thinking about buying another "Solid" mold, then the idea struck me. :idea:....If the plug was shorter, I would have a "solid" mold. Why not make a shortened plug? I got busy on the lathe and made a pin out of some SS rod stock I had and used part of a broom handle for the knob. :cool: Now I have in effect, two molds. I can hardly wait to fire up the pot and try it out.

Jack :cbpour:

Ben
03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
That's not a new trick. That one has been around a long time.

Ben

Capn Jack
03-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Darn it Ben,

I wish you had told me about it before now. I could have done something about that pile of lead in the garage. Now if I could find someone to trade me a .458 GC for the two LEE .458 PB molds I've got, I'd be happy as a pig in Stuff...

Jack

Edubya
03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Somebody on this site shaved off a mould and made a GC mould out of his. He ultimately made it a convertible, IIRC. I remember the picture, it was quiet impressive and would expect some mould making company to adapt this style in a not too distant future.
EW

Capn Jack
03-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks EW,

I think I'll go put those LEE molds up for trade and dig through the archives.

Jack

fredj338
03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
I have a hollow point mold for .358 and was thinking about buying another "Solid" mold, then the idea struck me. :idea:....If the plug was shorter, I would have a "solid" mold. Why not make a shortened plug? I got busy on the lathe and made a pin out of some SS rod stock I had and used part of a broom handle for the knob. :cool: Now I have in effect, two molds. I can hardly wait to fire up the pot and try it out.

Jack :cbpour:
Yep, this is what Erik @ HPMS does when he converts a mold to HP. You can put in the solid pin & go.[smilie=p:

woody1
03-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Or you can use the Skeeter Skelton method. Just cover the hole with a BB and pour. Regards, Woody

Capn Jack
03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
That sounds interesting....But will the BB stay in the boolit? I'll have to try a few and find out.

woody1
03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
The BB's will stay in the boolit. At least mine do. Get 'em hot before casting so the lead doesn't cool too fast around the BB. Regards, Woody

jdgabbard
04-01-2010, 01:26 AM
That bb might help with exspansion too!