PDA

View Full Version : No posts tomorrow.....pictures on Tuesday.....

Larry Gibson
07-09-2006, 08:45 PM
I picked up my Ruger 50th Anniversary Flat top .44 Magnum Friday evening! I had drooled all over the adds while in Iraq last year and mid December when I returned I ordered one through the Adventure Center on Fort Lewis. I feel guilty about what I paid but managed to slip out the door with out turning myself in for theft...... Anyways I had to work this weekend but am off tomorrow and am most certainly heading to TRRC first thing tomorrow (the wife's "honey do's" will just have to wait!). Haven't much loaded; some Lee 429-200 gr over 6 gr Bullseye which are 900 fps and very accurate out of the 6" Hawes, some 224 gr Grier (215 gr with GC added) over 22 gr 2400 at 1356 fps out of the Hawes, some PMC 180 gr HPs which are 1494 fps out of the 4" Anaconda and some Winchester 246 LRN at 676 fps out of the Anaconda. Will see how they do. Must cast some 429421s, maybe tonight........

Must try to sleep, not much the last two nights, fondling the Ruger too much, wife is beginning to wonder......will post some pictures on Tuesday.

Larry Gibson

Bass Ackward
07-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Congratulations Larry.

Dale53
07-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Larry;
One thing I will guarantee - you will come back from the range with a SMILE on your face!! I am "just a bit" jealous:mrgreen:. However, with two S&W .44 mags., three S&W .44 Specials and one Ruger Super Blackhawk, I DON'T NEED ANOTHER .44!!! I REALLY DO NOT!!!:???: :???:

Have fun!!

Dale53

Bucks Owin
07-10-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm envious! (Maybe your wife is too?!?) :-D

I think you'll love your new Flattop...

Dennis

PS: For a rip snortin' load try 22.0 grs of H-Lilgun under an RCBS 250K boolit. Gives me 1450 fps in my 10" Flattop....

StarMetal
07-10-2006, 03:05 PM
The hot haircut back when that Ruger flattop came out was also a flattop with a DA (ducks ass), remember those?

Joe

fecmech
07-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Yeah Joe I remember, I even had a DA way back when. I could still do the DA part if I tried but don't have anything to work with for the "flat top" part! Oh well. Nick

StarMetal
07-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Hey fecmech, I hear ya. I'm getting there on top. Actually the DA Flattop was in my brother's teens, as he was about 5 yrs older then me. The Flattop was out of vogue when I hit my teen yrs.

Joe

Larry Gibson
07-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I had my problems yesterday. Oh the Ruger FT shot well but I didn't. First I forgot to check the battery in the camera, dead of course so no photos at the range. Then I forgot my little lens I hook on my glasses so the sights were a little blurred. Still I manage 2-3" groups of 12 shots over sandbags at the range. The XR-3 grip with the black checkered panels was fine with the .44 Special loads and the 200 gr Lee's over 6 gr Bullseye at 927 fps (ES 35 fps/SD 8 fps for 18 shots!). After three cylinders of the Grier commercial cast 215 gr bullet (215 + GC and relubed with Javelina makes it 224 gr) over 22 gr of 2400 at 1444 fps I decided to put the PAST glove on. The recoil was fine and very manageable, however the checkering was obviously going to create a blister in the palm. The grips are fine and no problem with the lighter loads. They also will be fine when hunting with magnum loads as that many rounds are not shot at one time. If I am shooting nemerous magnums loads at one session I will wear the PAST or a NOMAX flight glove that I wear in cold weather when hunting. Took a couple pictures this morning, obviously I shouldn't quit my day job and take up photography but you'll get the idea. I will cast up some 250 SWC tonight and be ready to test them next week or so.

BTW; I also tried some old PMC 180 gr HPs - 1659 fps out of the 6 1/2" barrel!

Larry Gibson (with a major happy face on!)

Larry Gibson
07-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Guess I'll post these.....

Baldy
07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
:drinks: That's one fine looking gun. Enjoy it for sure.:mrgreen:

Bucks Owin
07-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Hey fecmech, I hear ya. I'm getting there on top. Actually the DA Flattop was in my brother's teens, as he was about 5 yrs older then me. The Flattop was out of vogue when I hit my teen yrs.

Joe

Same here Joe...

In the 50's, "she who must be obeyed" (mom) dictated the style of my haircuts and it was always a "Butch" cut in the summertime and occasionally a "Flattop" with NO duck's ass when school resumed. Neither I nor "Louie the Barber" would dare go against her wishes! A haircut cost a dollar. (At least that's what mom would send me with as I rode my Schwinn "Skipper" to Louie's.(Cool bike BTW, glossy black with chrome fenders and whitewalls!)

Louie had a little 2 seat shop in the little town we lived in and was a baseball fanatic who either had a game playing on the radio full blast or was discussing the latest game. He also dipped snuff and could hit his spittoon dead center from anywhere in the room. Us kids that played little league ball thought he was "neato"!

Here's to old Louie and the "good ol' days"...:drinks:

Dennis

Larry Gibson
07-12-2006, 04:21 PM

Joe

I transgressed from a flat top to a DA then joined the Army and went back to a flat top (high and tight). I missed out out on the Beatle and hippie thing, not sure I'd have done that anyway being the handsome guy I am!

Larry Gibson

Bass Ackward
07-12-2006, 04:29 PM
I transgressed from a flat top to a DA then joined the Army and went back to a flat top (high and tight). I missed out out on the Beatle and hippie thing, not sure I'd have done that anyway being the handsome guy I am!

Larry Gibson

Oh Boy ............